• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

stevkrause

Bertuzzi Suspension Prediction/ No Suspension Per League

Rate this topic

Let me start by saying I think he shouldn't get anything, Johnson went low and returned to the game... with that said, it was still reckless and I'm fine with the major and game...

Due to his stigma and how hot button it is, I am prediciting 1-2 games...

I don't really think he should get anything. As Lovin Jiri Fischer's picture has shown, his armpit was actually what he hit with, rather than his elbow.

According to the NHL Wheel of Justice, however, Bertuzzi's either gone for the season, or gone for the rest of his career, so take your pick*...

*not you, draperfan.

Shouldn't have been tossed. Shouldn't be suspended. Was tossed. Will be suspended.

Fined his and Lidstrom's salary, suspended for the rest of the regular season, playoffs, indefinitely until he either retires or plays for the Pens.

I kid.... 12 games.

Edited by b.shanafan14

Zero Games.

The idiot Versus announcers said he should have gone shoulder to shoulder.. but in my opinion if he had done that he would have destroyed Johnson and sent him smashing into the boards.. He turned his back so he wouldnt hurt him and Johnson ducked under so Berts elbow and arm ended up riding up over him.. Easy to see why the call was made when you watch it at full speed, especially the angle that the referee would have seen.. but no games. Bertuzzi has been pretty careful about being physical ever since the Moore incident so I don't think he gets anything for this.

I dont think hell get anything, the refs made a good on ice call the way the elbow went up and the way theyre trying to get rid of headshots but on further review there really isnt big contact with the head and its not the primary point of contact. Also not blind side.

Whats more important is that the last few games Bert has been throwing the weight around, a sign of things to come for playoffs I hope !

I don't know what Bert was doing skating ass first into a hit, but it doesn't warrant any suspension. It was stupid, not malicious. The 5 and game was already too much. A couple seasons ago this would be 2 minutes, at most, but the league is struggling to figure out the headshot situation due to d-bags like Cooke.

I understand the game misconduct because I am sure the ref thought he hit him with his elbow seeing how fast the hit was and how high his arm went. Bert hit him with his tricep more than anything else but for him to swing his arm that high and leave his feet was stupid, especially considering how the league is looking at any head contact hit. It might get looked at and if anything does happen I think 2 games max.

Guest Shoreline

Shrug, whatever the suspension is, it wouldn't change that hit from happening in the future if you want any physical play in the NHL. Should have been at worst a 2 minute penalty. Hawks guys obviously telling Johnson to stay down. It's theatre really.

Zero Games.

The idiot Versus announcers said he should have gone shoulder to shoulder.. but in my opinion if he had done that he would have destroyed Johnson and sent him smashing into the boards.. He turned his back so he wouldnt hurt him and Johnson ducked under so Berts elbow and arm ended up riding up over him.. Easy to see why the call was made when you watch it at full speed, especially the angle that the referee would have seen.. but no games. Bertuzzi has been pretty careful about being physical ever since the Moore incident so I don't think he gets anything for this.

This. Clearly not an intentional elbow to the head. Can't blame the ref for calling it seeing in full speed, but later the VS commentators basically pointed out the Bert was trying to lay off and Johnson tried to adjust to the hit and that's the way it went.

I can't see more than a 1 game if any for this. We shall see....

Zero games IMO.

After seeing it, definitely warranted a major, probably a 10:00 misconduct, but I don't think a game ejection.

Unfortunately that wouldn't have been an option. If you're assessed a major for elbowing due to a head/face injury, the game misconduct is automatic.

Sounds like even Johnson doesn't think there was as much to that hit as the refs did... (emphasis added)

DETROIT -- With so much focus on hits to the head, the NHL likely will review Todd Bertuzzi’s headshot Monday on Chicago’s Ryan Johnson to determine if it warrants a suspension.

The Detroit Red Wings forward received a five-minute penalty for elbowing and was ejected from the game at 5:17 of the first period. Johnson, however, finished the game and then defended Bertuzzi.

"I knew I was going to kind of have to take a hit to make the play there, but I don’t think it was anything malicious ... he was very apologetic, came walking right in here and said ‘Sorry’ as soon as it happened," Johnson said. "Now with the new standard, you have to come back and go through the standard tests with the doc quickly and do some things. It ripped my ear, the skin, so they had to sew my ear back on. I felt fine and got back out there.

"He’s a pretty big guy and I skate pretty low to the ground. I’m not going to sit here and judge what it was."

Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said he doesn’t have any idea if Bertuzzi will be suspended, but said, "I didn’t think it was severe at all. Johnson played the whole game. It didn’t look like much. It’s not like he missed any action."

Johnson’s helmet came flying off and he was briefly shaken up.

"They’re trying to eliminate hits to the head," Babcock said. "I guess they felt his helmet came off, it must have been a hit to the head."

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/03/red_wings_todd_bertuzzi_ejecte.html

it doesn't look like a malicious play to me, more like a wrong call of Bertuzzi to raise his elbow at the very last moment.

it seems to me that he went butt first and aimed more to the left of Johnson's body and not trying to crush him against the

boards nor bash his head.

bad and dumb play, absolutely, but not malicious try to injure Johnson.

but the elbow raised and automatic major are unquestionable. it does not look like a suspension stuff to me, but with the NHL looking to make

examples now I can see a 1 game sit off. should be none IMHO, but if it serves right as an example and Campbell&Co. really think this can have

positive effect on my beloved game - let them do it, I can live with it.

Edited by akustyk

I understand the game misconduct because I am sure the ref thought he hit him with his elbow seeing how fast the hit was and how high his arm went. Bert hit him with his tricep more than anything else but for him to swing his arm that high and leave his feet was stupid, especially considering how the league is looking at any head contact hit. It might get looked at and if anything does happen I think 2 games max.

this is exactly how i felt. IMO, bert should have kept his stick on the ice -- he didn't make the play in the best way, and he got nailed for it. like johnson said, he knew he was going to get hit, he knows he skates low, and it wasn't a malicious or "intent to injure" kind of hit. if you slow the replay down, it looks a lot more like he back of his arm than an elbow, but with a big guy like bert flying in there with his arm up and dude's helmet getting knocked off, they almost have to make that call.

if a wings player got tagged by a similar hit, we'd be screaming at the guy to keep his arms down, give up on the hit when the player is vulnerable, etc. i can see them throwing a game or two at bert just to keep up the example of ALL headshots being banned, and honestly, bert should have ******* kept his arms down. look at the abby hit later in the game: crushed the dude, had his stick on the ice. nailed him, but no question as to weather it was clean or not. hit above reproach, IMO.

not lost in this is this quote from johnson:

It ripped my ear, the skin, so they had to sew my ear back on. I felt fine and got back out there.

i don't know much about this guy, and of course he plays for the enemy, but i love that quote from a hockey player. i hope they take his other comments into consideration when making a judgment.

it doesn't look like a malicious play to me, more like a wrong call of Bertuzzi to raise his elbow at the very last moment.

it seems to me that he went butt first and aimed more to the left Johnson's body not trying to crush him against the boards.

bad and dumb play, absolutely, but not malicious try to injure Johnson.

but the elbow raised and automatic major are unquestionable. it does not look like a suspension stuff to me, but with the NHL looking to make

examples now I can see a 1 game sit off. should be none IMHO, but if it serves right as an example and Campbell&Co. really think this can have

positive effect on my beloved game - let them do it, I can live with it.

i agree with this one hundred percent. we'd be hypocrites to pretend that just because it was a wing delivering a hit, it had to be clean and perfect. i would call bert out if i thought he'd done something malicious, and from everything we've ween and even from what johnson himself has said, bert just should have kept his arms down. he didn't, and he'll live with the consequences.

maybe a little extra rest, a bit of energy from a griff trying to make an impression on the big club, who knows. the hockey gods work in mysterious ways. :ph34r: