• Please log in to reply
764 replies to this topic

#741 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:28 PM

ďA lot of words were said. We're going to keep that in the room,'' Lidstrom said. "But effort-wise we know we have to do a lot better job.''

I really hope "certain" players were getting in other's faces. It was necessary last night. We are the Red Wings ffs. With all these 8 paragraph posts and all this for free analytical work people have been doing on here all day how about....

PLAY LIKE YOU WANT IT
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#742 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:31 PM

This is in my opinion, one of the best posts I have seen lately. I don't know how anyone can look at this game and say "it's one bad game, the wings are fine". They have been showing this kind of play since at least New Years. It's this lackluster (we'll win it at the end) mentality. I am not used to seeing this out of the Wings. I have been a fan since I was a kid, back in 92 I think when the Wings came back from 3 games to 1 against the North Stars and then lost in 7 to Toronto if I'm not mistaken. I love the Wings. But when they play like this and over a long period of time, I have every right as a fan to:

A. Turn off the game and not waste my time.
B. Criticize my team where I feel pertinent.

I did B yesterday, but managed to watch the train wreck. When i twas 9-3 I actually started WISHING they would make it 10. I do not remember seeing any team put 10 goals up on the Wings ever. But hell, we're that close, let's see it. What I wish for is that they come out of this with their heads on straight now and say "boy we have been sucking, let's get it going".

I think Saturday will say a lot. IF the wings come to play and win, or even do very well but still lose on a bad break or something, then I will feel a little better. But if they go to Nashville and play another bad game, I think we are in for a short playoff, and I think by then we'll be looking at 5th-6th in the final standings. This thing has gone south in a hurry.

With regard to replacing Babcock, I have wondered this. I think babs is a great coach, maybe the best in the league now, and I love him. But things may have gotten stale. Maybe the vets don't like being yelled at or something. I don't know. We don't know what's going on in the locker room, but boy it sure seems like the chemistry is off with this team. There's far too much talent on this team to be playing like they have been.

I judge goalies based on how they allow goals, not how many they allow. Macdonald is completely not to blame yesterday. I don't believe he allowed one bad goal. When teams are getting open pops at pucks right in front of him what's he suppposed to do? I maintain that game could have been 20-3 had he not played well. When the defense does their job and goals go in then I start wondering about the goalie a bit, depending of course, on the situation (like the other night when Howard let 4 in and got pulled and we came back to tie). But right now, I'd still play Howard, find out what we have this playoff with him, find out if he's made of steel or not.

This off season we may be due for a decent shakeup if the wings get bounced in round 1.

I stopped reading when I got to that part because I realized that this is just irrational.

Look at the standings. We are 6 points ahead of Nashville AND we own the tie breaker. That means that for them to win the division and us to end up below 3rd place, they have to gain at least 7 point on us. Each team has 5 games left. Let's suppose that Nashville wins all 5 games for 10 points, that would mean that we would only have to get 4 points in 5 games to win the division. We would only need to win 2 of our last 5 games. BOTH things would have to happen, Nashville 5-0, Detroit 1-3-1. Mathematically that's possible but highly unlikely. So obviously your post is irrational.
Do or do not. There is no try

#743 Firehawk

Firehawk

Don't Touch My Pop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:33 PM

What a load of garbage. Before last nights game, the Wings had given up 22 goals in the previous 10 games. That's 2.2 goals/game. So no, the Wings aren't going down the tubes. A zillion shots? WTF does that mean. Losing the capacity to play well. Go watch the Pistons.

Ok, let's look at the entire season to this point. 226 goals allowed over 77 games equals over a 2.93 goals per game average.

That's good for the worst defensive team IN THE PLAYOFFS RIGHT NOW except for Tampa Bay who has given up 230 with one less game played.

It's unbelievable. What was the stat for the goals scored in the last 10 games? Because that number has also been down substantially. The stat that matters less with regard to offense is that the wings have the 2nd best offense out of all the playoff teams currently in the league. This matters less because defense wins championships.
U GUYS ARE FUKIN ANYOING IM GONNA COME DOWN THERE AND KILL ALL YALL THE ONLY THING THAT SAVED UR TEAM WAS OSGOOD AND OSSGOOD SUKS 2 JUST LIKE UR WHOLE FUKIN TEAM I HOPE U HEARD THIS AND THINK CAUSE ALL I GOT TO SAY TO U IS UR A BUNCH OF FUKIN IDIOTS BARONS A HOOSER CUSE HE WENT TO UR TEAM AND I HOPE U GUYS SHOULD SEND UR TEAM TO ANOTHER CITY CAUSE U GUYS ARE A BUNCH OF FUKIN WHINERS GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! --- A canucks fan on stltoday.com

This was so funny I had to set it as my sig.

#744 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:34 PM

You play to win the game
IPB Image

#745 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:42 PM

Ok, let's look at the entire season to this point. 226 goals allowed over 77 games equals over a 2.93 goals per game average.

That's good for the worst defensive team IN THE PLAYOFFS RIGHT NOW except for Tampa Bay who has given up 230 with one less game played.

It's unbelievable. What was the stat for the goals scored in the last 10 games? Because that number has also been down substantially. The stat that matters less with regard to offense is that the wings have the 2nd best offense out of all the playoff teams currently in the league. This matters less because defense wins championships.

I was responding to the irrational babbling that said that the teams were going down the tubes. My point is that before last night, they were playing much better defensively which is not the sign of a team going down the tubes. Who cares how many goals they gave up in October-February. You do realize that the stats that you are referring to are for the entire season don't you. Those stats don't matter. What matters is how they play in the playoffs and how they are playing going into the playoffs. Before last night they were playing well defensively and had slipped a little on offense.
Do or do not. There is no try

#746 Firehawk

Firehawk

Don't Touch My Pop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:44 PM

I stopped reading when I got to that part because I realized that this is just irrational.

Look at the standings. We are 6 points ahead of Nashville AND we own the tie breaker. That means that for them to win the division and us to end up below 3rd place, they have to gain at least 7 point on us. Each team has 5 games left. Let's suppose that Nashville wins all 5 games for 10 points, that would mean that we would only have to get 4 points in 5 games to win the division. We would only need to win 2 of our last 5 games. BOTH things would have to happen, Nashville 5-0, Detroit 1-3-1. Mathematically that's possible but highly unlikely. So obviously your post is irrational.

It's completely rational, because it's:

A) Possible
B) Likely, considering what we've been seeing.

In case you weren't aware, if Nashville wins tonight, that puts them within 4, and then they have us on Saturday. If they win that, they're within 2. Suddenly it's not looking very good. Then, we have the daunting task of playing Chicago in back to back games. Chicago is trying to MAKE the playoffs, so they have a ton to play for and have something to prove against the red wings.

The other two are Minnesota and Carolina. Carolina is trying to get into the playoffs, and Minnesota sucks, just like we thought the Blues Did.

I'm sorry, but you need to look at the schedule. We can easily lose 4 of the next 5, EASILY.

It's not a really likely scenario like you say, but it's a possible situation, very possible in fact.
U GUYS ARE FUKIN ANYOING IM GONNA COME DOWN THERE AND KILL ALL YALL THE ONLY THING THAT SAVED UR TEAM WAS OSGOOD AND OSSGOOD SUKS 2 JUST LIKE UR WHOLE FUKIN TEAM I HOPE U HEARD THIS AND THINK CAUSE ALL I GOT TO SAY TO U IS UR A BUNCH OF FUKIN IDIOTS BARONS A HOOSER CUSE HE WENT TO UR TEAM AND I HOPE U GUYS SHOULD SEND UR TEAM TO ANOTHER CITY CAUSE U GUYS ARE A BUNCH OF FUKIN WHINERS GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! --- A canucks fan on stltoday.com

#747 Firehawk

Firehawk

Don't Touch My Pop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:52 PM

I was responding to the irrational babbling that said that the teams were going down the tubes. My point is that before last night, they were playing much better defensively which is not the sign of a team going down the tubes. Who cares how many goals they gave up in October-February. You do realize that the stats that you are referring to are for the entire season don't you. Those stats don't matter. What matters is how they play in the playoffs and how they are playing going into the playoffs. Before last night they were playing well defensively and had slipped a little on offense.

You are certainly right in that what happens in October or December doesn't matter when the playoffs start. You can also say here that what you do all the way up to the last game of the regular season doesn't have any bearing on the playoffs either, two separate situations. SO, what you really mean to say then, is it doesn't matter what they do right now anyway, only when the playoffs start.

Fine. I hope you are right and the playoffs bring the wings back to the wings we know well. But it didn't last year. We struggled with a Phoenix team who wasn't really that good, and was filled with a bunch of no-name players around Doan. Nobody knew who they were and the media did a great job building them up, just like they always do. Then we got manhandled by SJ, who is a good team.

Unlike years past (with the exception of last year), the wings have not shown these kinds of signs. Fans have always been skeptical of any goalie, but when Lidstrom starts getting burned, which NONE of us are used to seeing, Rafalski is playing with braces on all over his body, the 3rd and 4th guys are just average, and the 5th and 6th pairing absolutely sucks, I don't know how you can excuse this. These signs have been shown all year long.

I wanna believe that for 10 games, or 9, that they have hopefully gotten it back together a bit, but the longer term states otherwise.

You know, I think the hard part for most of us fans that have been watching this team for 20 years or less, is that we are going to have to admit very soon here that we are not the team to beat anymore. Vancouver, San Jose, Chicago, those are the teams that we are now using to judge ourselves. We used to be the ruler. I don't think that is the case anymore.

I think some fans here have a tough time coming to grips with that.

#748 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,643 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:50 PM

Wow, one bad game and the bandwagon Wings fans are jumping off. Please delete your account off the site and go join the ranks of the Canucks. Some members on this site are an absolute embarrassment to real Wings fans who back their team.

Posted Image
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#749 donfishmaster

donfishmaster

steviesteenie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:49 PM

"Load of garbage"
"Irrational babbling"
You are an unpleasant, annoying...ummmm....individual, chrisdetroit.

Edited by donfishmaster, 31 March 2011 - 07:50 PM.

#750 luvpucks

luvpucks

Jr. Prospect

• 25 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:27 PM

Of course last night was amazingly embarassing. However I don't see this as a defining moment of the season nor a preview of what we can expect in the playoffs. Here's my take:

1. Any mistake made by J Mac can be attributed to an off night. If anything Detroit would have more than likely lost 6-3 or 7-3 (still ugly but would've been better) and the Wings offensively maybe would've done another Pittsburgh comeback; unlikely of course seeing as they were playing be deflated after going down by so much. After Mac's great performance against Chicago and his previous games a back up/relief he was due for an ugly night.

2. Putting in a goalie from the ECHL had disaster written on it from the start. There's a reason Toledo is last in the North division. Now I know Detroit didn't have a choice with Howard and Ozzie being out but what was everyone expecting? Detroit needed to keep Mac in if they were gonna have a fighting chance.

3. For awhile, this was a good offensive performance by Detroit. As flat as they had been their last couple games, putting up 3 in two periods was a bright spot. Now it's a stretch to say they could have come back as they were FLAT after that 2nd period but that Pittsburgh game did wonders for MY faith. This game could've been different with Datsyuk back, but shoulda, coulda, woulda.

4. From reading all the posts on here about the game, everyone agrees on defense was to blame and I do too. The lines need to go back to Lids-Rafalski and Kronners-Stuart. All we can do is hope they go back to these pairings playoffs.

So after letting the game settle for a whole day, I don't feel uneasy. I felt worse in '09 after they lost 8-0 to Nashville in February and look where they went. Also I'm one of those fans that believes they perform better in the playoffs. This team is still much to talented to not make at least a decent run.

#751 Tim Cheveldae's Ghost

Tim Cheveldae's Ghost

Jr. Prospect

• 26 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:31 AM

IMO, the team is due for a shakeup in the offseason regardless of the results. Salei and Ericsson will likely be let go, Draper will retire and its like Miller/Eaves will be let go, or one of the two will. Honestly, I think this team is frustrated with how the season went. A great start, they were dominating teams, then the injuries came. We had a replay of last season, which a lot of current players were involved with. Lines have been jumbled up, defensive pairings have been mixed up all year, there seems to be no cohesion between anyone from this and its showing. Getting Pav back will help...the Wings are thin at center which is why Modano was brought in, and his absence has shown that. Outside of Hank and occasionally Fil and Helm, there's been little in the way of transitional offense since Pav has been out. But, one man does not a team make, I'm cautiously hopeful this club got the wakeup they needed, and its a shame that the Nashville game didn't serve as that. I don't want the Wings to become one of those holier than thou teams who think they're too good for the season or to try hard consistently.

#752 Firehawk

Firehawk

Don't Touch My Pop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:34 AM

Well, I wake up this morning and see we are now 3rd in the conference. I really hope this is not the beginning of a free fall.

So frustrating.

#753 cprice12

cprice12

Resident St. Louis Blues Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:08 AM

Meant to comment in here yesterday...didn't have a chance.

I gotta say that was the most satisfying regular season game vs. Detroit I have ever witnessed. All of the frustration felt from previous seasons of domination by the Wings over the Blues seemed to be lifted.

If the Blues had won 2-1, it would have been enjoyable, no doubt...but it wouldn't have done much otherwise. This was a drubbing, a massacre, a rare/goofy happening that you just don't see very often...and I certainly didn't expect the Blues to dish it out to the Wings right now.
This is one that you just don't forget.
Most Blues fans were thinking it could have been a 10-3 beat down against us, especially with Oshie out and Perron still hurt. But wow...that couldn't have been more wrong.

Not trying to troll here, or rub anything in (which would be stupid considering the standings). You guys just need to understand where I'm coming from with this.

Anyway, you guys have the last laugh since you'll be in the playoffs...a position Blues fans wish their team was in.

No offense intended, but this win felt great...and almost made up for a disappointing finish to the season...almost. If a 10-3 win had come against Columbus or another insignificant team, it wouldn't mean a whole lot...but because it came against Detroit, in Detroit... that's what made it memorable.

True satisfaction won't come until the Blues knock the Wings out of the playoffs...someday. Until then, this game will have to do.

Good day fellas.

#754 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:58 AM

Glad you got that off your chest. I don't know why you think we care, but that's a whole other issue entirely.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#755 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:23 AM

Give the guy a break, its not like he's in here trolling. If I were in his shoes I'd find it pretty hard not to gloat.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#756 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:39 AM

Give the guy a break, its not like he's in here trolling. If I were in his shoes I'd find it pretty hard not to gloat.

Funny, if I were a Blues fan, the last place I'd think of posting about this past game is a Red Wings message board. I'd be too busy whooping it up with other Blues fans on a Blues message board.

But hey, that's just me.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#757 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:03 PM

Hey, he's enjoying what he can - no playoffs to look forward to and the Blues are up for sale again. I'd make the most of this win as well if I were him.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#758 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:59 PM

Yeah, they might lose Pujols, the Rams are well, I can't say much about football at all but they suck too. Blues have been the Red Wings' ***** for many years so it is what it is. They can whoop it up or whatever, they are for the most part being classy about it. They know why they are coming in here to do it too, they simply have not much left to grab onto this season.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#759 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:17 PM

Well, I wake up this morning and see we are now 3rd in the conference. I really hope this is not the beginning of a free fall.

If they were planning to go into a tailspin and lose the division, they're a little late. Their magic number to clinch is five points.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#760 cprice12

cprice12

Resident St. Louis Blues Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:11 PM

Glad you got that off your chest. I don't know why you think we care, but that's a whole other issue entirely.

I've been a member here 6 years longer than you...that's who I am. ;)

Again, not trying to gloat about the game...just giving one Blues fan's perspective. Gloating would be stupid, considering we're going to miss the playoffs and you guys are a cup contender.

From a Blues fan's perspective, it was just nice to see based on the history between these two teams and how disappointing this season has been for Blues fans...that's all.

Hopefully next year this Blues team will be better. They should be...but that's easy to say.