• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Gilrin

10 most skilled players

Rate this topic

?

Just so we're on the same page, Kenta Nilsson, the guy who was in that clip in which I posted, is #6 on the 10 most skilled players list.

I do not disagree with this list whatsoever. Also never heard of this guy regardless so call me out on it I guess. ;) Again no foul really.

10 Datsyuk

9 Jagr

8 Bure

7 Denis Savard

6 Kent Nilsson

5 Gilbert Perreault

4 Kovalev

3 Gretzky

2 Orr

1 Lemieux

That's some good company.

Considering he is still playing and a long way from retirement he could climb that ladder.

I think Fedorov should be on the list. Also I know I am going to get flamed but you could make a case for Ovechkin and Crosby.

In my opinion, whenever you have a list like this there will always be a ton of players that you could make a serious case for. I knew when I posted that people would be disagreeing with the list and they have every right too. In fact, I disagree with some of it. I was just really surprised to see Datsyuk get so much love up here considering how much everyone loves Oveckin and Crosby (especially in Canada). When I watched the CBC broadcast of the Wings - Canucks game they also praised him very highly. It seems that Datsyuk is finally starting to get some of the recognition and appreciation that he deserves up here. He's not one of the aggressively marketed players in the NHL, so to be getting recognized up here in a distant market the way he has is pretty neat.

Kovalev absolutely belongs on that list, and higher than Datsyuk. I know the guy is lazy as s***, but that's not what this list is about.

Kovalev was a great stickhandler (not as good as Pavel), but his accuracy and shot are a lot better. Great one-timer, great wristshot, great backhand. That's why he's on the list.

Also I don't know why people complain about Lemieux being number 1. The guy could do anything with the puck, and also had a great shot, either with his one-timer or the wristshot and backhand.

Datsyuk is the best stickhandler I've ever seen, but that's not the only skill to value. You guys need to realize that he's the only current NHL player on the list, aside from Kovalev (who's on the list due to previous play). That speaks for much already.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Considering he is still playing and a long way from retirement he could climb that ladder.

Conceptually, I'm not sure how that happens. He's almost 33, he's not all of a sudden going to get more skilled because he plays more years in the league. There might be players that are extremely skilled and left of the list for now until they develop longer into their career, but Dats has been around long enough, I don't think much would change with him and this list.

I think some people are confused about what this list means. Someone wondered why Howe wasn't on the list, but if I think of Howe, "ton of skill" isn't the first thought that comes to mind. All around great player, one of the best, but that doesn't mean he's one of the most skilled. Same way the most skilled guy in the world may not be anywhere near the best player.

Kovalev oozes skill....but that hasn't translated into him being a great player, he's been good, but not great.

Yeah, he just has to stay healthy. This looked like it could have been at least an 90+ point season until he got injured, maybe could have been his first 100 point season.

I'm very inclined to agree with you. This season has been nothing short of disastrous for him. It's probably one he'd like to forget.

The list is not about the greatest player. It's about who had the most talent. Jiri Hudler was considered by most scouts to be far and away the most talented center in his draft year, and that is pretty accurate. He was considered one of the five most talented prospects. So why was he drafted 58th overall? He's small and he's not a fast skater. Give Hudler four inches, twenty pounds, and Helm's wheels and he might be scoring 90+ points every year.

I'm just going based on the last thirty years on this, so players who played their prime before then are out.

Mario Lemieux

Wayne Gretzky

Sergei Fedorov

Alexei Kovalev

Pavel Bure

Kent Nilsson

Jaromir Jagr

Pavel Datsyuk

Eric Lindros

Peter Forsberg

Before I take any slams, I'm going to say the following. Lemieux and Gretzky are pretty much automatic, so I don't get a choice there.

Fedorov is the most talented, complete player I have ever seen in my life and was capable of passing, shooting, hitting, playing defense, wicked dekes, forcing his way through a defense. He also had one of the league's hardest shots. He could do it all at a high level.

Kovalev possessed an even harder shot than Fedorov, and was a puckhandling expert. His defensive game brought him some haters, but his unreal puck talents typically dissuaded them.

Bure was a one-shot deal, but he was great at it. Decent slapper, great wrister, excellent dekes and crazy speed. He could score goals, and that was it.

Lindros was a monster of a player. He was the prototypical power forward, built big and strong with a heavy shot. But he could also skate very well and pass among the best in the league, and he was good on faceoffs. He was decent defensively, and he became much better defensively and on faceoffs as his career progressed. Lindros was the bull who would simply charge right through the defense, unstoppable, to your goal.

Forsberg was a very good puckhandler whose skills lied generally in getting the puck to others, but he had the ability to score goals himself as we all know. He cut through defenses like he was using scissors, and there was simply no resistance.

Interesting list. Kovalev is amazing when he wants to be, but that's his issue. No love for Teemu Selanne? One of the best of all time, in my book. In his prime, Alexander Mogilny was jaw-dropping. Not "Best of all time" jaw-dropping, but he sure as hell could split defenses.

I don't know where they ranked those two all-time, but on my list Selanne ended up #12 and Mogilny #14.

Conceptually, I'm not sure how that happens. He's almost 33, he's not all of a sudden going to get more skilled because he plays more years in the league. There might be players that are extremely skilled and left of the list for now until they develop longer into their career, but Dats has been around long enough, I don't think much would change with him and this list..

Because when players have been retired a few years, they automatically become better than they actually were in peoples minds, its true of all sports. In 10 years time the memory of Perrault and Nilson will have faded but people will go "remember that Datsyuk? Man he could stickhandle...."

Its an interesting list, but of course you have to define "skilled". Jagr's skill was accentuated by being 5 inches and 60 pounds bigger than Datsyuk. Bure's by being able to still stickhandle whilst skating 200 mph etc

Lindros was a monster of a player

I've said this on here before, but I remember on the old Thunderpuck forums, when he was in New York, even with a glass body and a brain made of pea soup, Rangers fans used to absolutely gush over his hands.

The list is not about the greatest player. It's about who had the most talent.

Actually the list is about the most skilled players. I don't think skill and talent are the same. When you speak of skill it's usually about skill with the puck - where as talent is talent. Talent is something that is natural and doesn't necessary build through hours of practice but you need both talent and training to be at the top. I think skill is more about puck skills while talent can cover the all around game. Edited by Finnish Wing

Actually the list is about the most skilled players. I don't think skill and talent are the same. When you speak of skill it's usually about skill with the puck - where as talent is talent. Talent is something that is natural and doesn't necessary build through hours of practice but you need both talent and training to be at the top. I think skill is more about puck skills while talent can cover the all around game.

This is how I took it as well. I don't really have an issue with either the video's list or Eva's. Fedorov I think definitely deserved a nod, and I was also pleased to see Mogilny and Selanne called out by others. I think the only member of either list I'd taken some exception to is Lindros. There is no disputing that he was one of the best in the game at his peak, nor that he was a monster talent. But on a list of the "most skilled," I'd put several players already mentioned ahead of him. He relied on his size and strength more than his ability to dazzle you with the puck.

I'm also seriously surprised to hear people questioning Kovalev's spot on this list. The guy was a freaking magician in his prime. He was just never able to pull it all together mentally into the total package.

A list I'd be interesting in seeing is one of the top ten all-time passers.

Its an interesting list, but of course you have to define "skilled". Jagr's skill was accentuated by being 5 inches and 60 pounds bigger than Datsyuk. Bure's by being able to still stickhandle whilst skating 200 mph etc

This is exactly why I place Fedorov so high. Jagr had great size, and was quick with very good hands and great reach, Bure was ridiculously fast with amazing hands. But Fedorov had the advantages of both; he was a big center for his time, very strong, and just as fast as Bure with the same kind of puckhandling skills. Fedorov also possessed the massive heavy shot that neither Jagr nor Bure had.

A list I'd be interesting in seeing is one of the top ten all-time passers.

Hmm...

Some names that come to mind in recent history are Gretzky, Oates, Lemieux, Janney, Housley, Coffey, Yzerman, Fedorov, Datsyuk, Crosby, Forsberg, Turgeon, Thornton, Zubov, Larionov.

What about Red Kelly?

Guy is the only player in league history to play at a Hall of Fame level on both forward and defense.

That has to stand for something when you can do both at an elite level and is the only guy to do it that well.

What about Red Kelly?

Guy is the only player in league history to play at a Hall of Fame level on both forward and defense.

That has to stand for something when you can do both at an elite level and is the only guy to do it that well.

Forget about Ebbie Goodfellow?

And, although he didn't play a ton, Fedorov did switch to defense in Detroit, Columbus, and Washington and was extremely impressive. While he may not have been HHOF level by the time he was a Cap, he was certainly playing the position at that level for the stretch he played in Detroit. He was better in his time on the blueline than any defenseman's single season since the lockout.

Edited by eva unit zero

Forget about Ebbie Goodfellow?

And, although he didn't play a ton, Fedorov did switch to defense in Detroit, Columbus, and Washington and was extremely impressive. While he may not have been HHOF level by the time he was a Cap, he was certainly playing the position at that level for the stretch he played in Detroit. He was better in his time on the blueline than any defenseman's single season since the lockout.

Fedorov didn't play defense long enough to compare him to Kelly playing forward and being Toronto's number one center for several Cups. Kelly for sure played both defense and forward at a HHOF level.

Fedorov will likely make the HHOF as a forward, and any guess as to what he'd be if he always played defense is nothing more than speculation.

Also, I know about Goodfellow, but still rate Kelly higher than anyone to play both positions. I guess I should have rephrased my post earlier about Kelly being the only one to do it, though.

Bottom line is that when talking about skill, a guy that could be great at both forward and defense is astonishing, and something we never really see. How many guys nowadays could do it at a high level?

Edited by GMRwings1983

Fedorov didn't play defense long enough to compare him to Kelly playing forward and being Toronto's number one center for several Cups. Kelly for sure played both defense and forward at a HHOF level.

Fedorov will likely make the HHOF as a forward, and any guess as to what he'd be if he always played defense is nothing more than speculation.

Also, I know about Goodfellow, but still rate Kelly higher than anyone to play both positions. I guess I should have rephrased my post earlier about Kelly being the only one to do it, though.

Bottom line is that when talking about skill, a guy that could be great at both forward and defense is astonishing, and something we never really see. How many guys nowadays could do it at a high level?

Hmm...

At a HHOF level? Maybe Hossa, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, some of the other high end players of the league who are in or near their primes and have shown versatility. Chara perhaps, but he might be a bit slow to reach that level as a forward, although his size and shot certainly have the potential to make up the difference. Any player in his prime who can play at a HHOF level and is a two-way player could do it, the problem is there aren't really many of those right now.