• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:29 PM

theres this one player on the wings, I think he might be the most talented Wing ever not named Howe... I can't remember his name.. oh wait its Lidstrom. Its a joke he didnt make a list of the ten most talented players ever and people like Gilbert Perreault and Denis Savard over Lidstrom... and no Howe? Really?

or Yzerman...dude finished 6th all time in points and was the best 2 way forward in the game for the last 10-12 years of his career hence the 3 cup rings and a conn smythe on 1 leg. his hilight reel for goals in his career and goals he set up is ridiculous. and they have karv-a-leg-off at #4. what the f***? top 10 all time....no way kovalev is anywhere close! other than that, the list is pretty good, but the kovalev s*** made me sour. and i'd put crosby ahead of kovalev already anyways. i hate the penguins in a cynical way, but crosby is highly skilled.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#22 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:59 PM

Certainly is a damned copycat sport, eh? Posted Image

?

#23 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 01:59 PM

?

Was just a harmless "joke" in regards to you posting a guy I've never heard of in a thread titled '10 most skilled players'. ;) No foul.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#24 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 03:57 PM

I always like the Russian Rocket
IPB Image

#25 Nutty Dunkers

Nutty Dunkers

Draftee

• 1 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:26 PM

10 Datsyuk
9 Jagr
8 Bure
7 Denis Savard
6 Kent Nilsson
5 Gilbert Perreault
4 Kovalev
3 Gretzky
2 Orr
1 Lemieux

That's some good company.

It does a Red Wings fan like me good to see Datsyuk get more recognition that Sidney Crosby for once. On a side note, here is a fun ready for any Crosby haters out there. http://www.dirtyball...y-is-bitch.html

#26 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:41 PM

Was just a harmless "joke" in regards to you posting a guy I've never heard of in a thread titled '10 most skilled players'. ;) No foul.

?

Just so we're on the same page, Kenta Nilsson, the guy who was in that clip in which I posted, is #6 on the 10 most skilled players list.

#27 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:43 PM

?

Just so we're on the same page, Kenta Nilsson, the guy who was in that clip in which I posted, is #6 on the 10 most skilled players list.

I do not disagree with this list whatsoever. Also never heard of this guy regardless so call me out on it I guess. ;) Again no foul really.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#28 grwingfan

grwingfan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:45 PM

10 Datsyuk
9 Jagr
8 Bure
7 Denis Savard
6 Kent Nilsson
5 Gilbert Perreault
4 Kovalev
3 Gretzky
2 Orr
1 Lemieux

That's some good company.

Considering he is still playing and a long way from retirement he could climb that ladder.

#29 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:59 PM

I do not disagree with this list whatsoever. Also never heard of this guy regardless so call me out on it I guess. ;) Again no foul really.

Well I didn't want you to think that I was just posting some random clip, haha. That had a real purpose in this thread.

#30 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 05:22 PM

I think Fedorov should be on the list. Also I know I am going to get flamed but you could make a case for Ovechkin and Crosby.

What kind of color is red? Red is a warning, a declaration, a color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and driven because red doesn't like second place. So what kind of color is red? Their kind.

#31 Gilrin

Gilrin

Draftee

• 3 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 05:56 PM

I think Fedorov should be on the list. Also I know I am going to get flamed but you could make a case for Ovechkin and Crosby.

In my opinion, whenever you have a list like this there will always be a ton of players that you could make a serious case for. I knew when I posted that people would be disagreeing with the list and they have every right too. In fact, I disagree with some of it. I was just really surprised to see Datsyuk get so much love up here considering how much everyone loves Oveckin and Crosby (especially in Canada). When I watched the CBC broadcast of the Wings - Canucks game they also praised him very highly. It seems that Datsyuk is finally starting to get some of the recognition and appreciation that he deserves up here. He's not one of the aggressively marketed players in the NHL, so to be getting recognized up here in a distant market the way he has is pretty neat.

#32 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,662 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:18 PM

Kovalev absolutely belongs on that list, and higher than Datsyuk. I know the guy is lazy as s***, but that's not what this list is about.

Kovalev was a great stickhandler (not as good as Pavel), but his accuracy and shot are a lot better. Great one-timer, great wristshot, great backhand. That's why he's on the list.

Also I don't know why people complain about Lemieux being number 1. The guy could do anything with the puck, and also had a great shot, either with his one-timer or the wristshot and backhand.

Datsyuk is the best stickhandler I've ever seen, but that's not the only skill to value. You guys need to realize that he's the only current NHL player on the list, aside from Kovalev (who's on the list due to previous play). That speaks for much already.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 30 March 2011 - 07:20 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#33 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,448 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:03 PM

Considering he is still playing and a long way from retirement he could climb that ladder.

Conceptually, I'm not sure how that happens. He's almost 33, he's not all of a sudden going to get more skilled because he plays more years in the league. There might be players that are extremely skilled and left of the list for now until they develop longer into their career, but Dats has been around long enough, I don't think much would change with him and this list.

I think some people are confused about what this list means. Someone wondered why Howe wasn't on the list, but if I think of Howe, "ton of skill" isn't the first thought that comes to mind. All around great player, one of the best, but that doesn't mean he's one of the most skilled. Same way the most skilled guy in the world may not be anywhere near the best player.

Kovalev oozes skill....but that hasn't translated into him being a great player, he's been good, but not great.

#34 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:13 PM

Funny how a list of the most skilled players of all-time includes players who won't make the hall of fame.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#35 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:18 PM

Funny how a list of the most skilled players of all-time includes players who won't make the hall of fame.

Well, there would probably be even more of those players in all-time toughest players list.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#36 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:04 PM

Yeah, he just has to stay healthy. This looked like it could have been at least an 90+ point season until he got injured, maybe could have been his first 100 point season.

I'm very inclined to agree with you. This season has been nothing short of disastrous for him. It's probably one he'd like to forget.
Posted Image

#37 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:29 PM

The list is not about the greatest player. It's about who had the most talent. Jiri Hudler was considered by most scouts to be far and away the most talented center in his draft year, and that is pretty accurate. He was considered one of the five most talented prospects. So why was he drafted 58th overall? He's small and he's not a fast skater. Give Hudler four inches, twenty pounds, and Helm's wheels and he might be scoring 90+ points every year.

I'm just going based on the last thirty years on this, so players who played their prime before then are out.

Mario Lemieux
Wayne Gretzky
Sergei Fedorov
Alexei Kovalev
Pavel Bure
Kent Nilsson
Jaromir Jagr
Pavel Datsyuk
Eric Lindros
Peter Forsberg

Before I take any slams, I'm going to say the following. Lemieux and Gretzky are pretty much automatic, so I don't get a choice there.

Fedorov is the most talented, complete player I have ever seen in my life and was capable of passing, shooting, hitting, playing defense, wicked dekes, forcing his way through a defense. He also had one of the league's hardest shots. He could do it all at a high level.

Kovalev possessed an even harder shot than Fedorov, and was a puckhandling expert. His defensive game brought him some haters, but his unreal puck talents typically dissuaded them.

Bure was a one-shot deal, but he was great at it. Decent slapper, great wrister, excellent dekes and crazy speed. He could score goals, and that was it.

Lindros was a monster of a player. He was the prototypical power forward, built big and strong with a heavy shot. But he could also skate very well and pass among the best in the league, and he was good on faceoffs. He was decent defensively, and he became much better defensively and on faceoffs as his career progressed. Lindros was the bull who would simply charge right through the defense, unstoppable, to your goal.

Forsberg was a very good puckhandler whose skills lied generally in getting the puck to others, but he had the ability to score goals himself as we all know. He cut through defenses like he was using scissors, and there was simply no resistance.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#38 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:41 PM

Interesting list. Kovalev is amazing when he wants to be, but that's his issue. No love for Teemu Selanne? One of the best of all time, in my book. In his prime, Alexander Mogilny was jaw-dropping. Not "Best of all time" jaw-dropping, but he sure as hell could split defenses.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#39 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 12:13 AM

Interesting list. Kovalev is amazing when he wants to be, but that's his issue. No love for Teemu Selanne? One of the best of all time, in my book. In his prime, Alexander Mogilny was jaw-dropping. Not "Best of all time" jaw-dropping, but he sure as hell could split defenses.

I don't know where they ranked those two all-time, but on my list Selanne ended up #12 and Mogilny #14.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#40 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 12:46 AM

I don't know where they ranked those two all-time, but on my list Selanne ended up #12 and Mogilny #14.

Yeah its obviously debatable, #12 all time for Selanne sounds about right to me. Made quite a statement in his rookie year. 76 goals I believe? Insane, and continues to put up great numbers today.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien