• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
nate94gt

Smith on the AHLs All Rookie Team

Rate this topic

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/sports/griffins/griffins%27-smith-earns-all-rookie-honors

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) - Highly touted Grand Rapids Griffins defenseman Brendan Smith claimed yet another award Wednesday, when he was named to the American Hockey League's All-Rookie Team.

"It's a great honor," Smith said. "Anytime you get recognized for something, especially being a rookie, it's an honor."

Despite missing 17 games due to injury, Smith ranks among the AHL's top defensemen with 12 goals (1st for rookies and 6th overall) and 32 points (4th for rookies and 25th overall). In fact, only two rookie defensemen in Griffins history have registered more points than Smith's 32 in a single season and both are now playing in the NHL. Florida Panther defenseman Clay Wilson posted 37 points, while former Red Wing and now Colorado Avalanche defenseman Kyle Quincey posted 33 points for Grand Rapids, both during the 2005-06 season.

"That's a great honor for Brendan," said Griffins head coach Curt Fraser. "He's got a bright future ahead of him with the Detroit Red Wings. He's done a great job for us."

The 22-year-old Smith is also just the third Griffins player ever named to the AHL ALL-Rookie Team, joining current Red Wings Justin Abdelkader (2008-09) and Jimmy Howard (2005-06).

"Obviously, I work off and have been playing a lot with Janny (veteran Doug Janik) this year and he's been helping me," Smith said. "All of the vets have been helping me, encouraging me and giving me words of wisdom, so I think I gotta give them all the credit."

Smith, a first round draft pick of the NHL's Detroit Red Wings in 2007, was also named to the AHL All-Star Team earlier this year.

With just six games to play in the regular season, Brendan and the Griffins continue their playoff push Friday night in British Columbia, Canada with the first of back to back, must win games, against the Abbotsford Heat.

Oh yeah! Well I put it in the Brendan Smith Prospects Watch thing 2 hours before this soooo yeah! tongue.gif

Can't wait for this kid. Kronwall comparisons....ya know, when he hit and stuff ph34r.gif

I've been watching the griffins a lot this year and how similar he plays to Kronwall is kind of scary. he only difference is, Smith has more edge to his game and is meaner

I've been watching the griffins a lot this year and how similar he plays to Kronwall is kind of scary. he only difference is, Smith has more edge to his game and is meaner

He also gets carried away a bit, which is something I feel the Wings will be looking for him to curtail.

With as bad as the Wings' D has been all season, bring Smith in as a Black Ace during the playoffs & if Ericsson, Salei, or Kindl look particularly "Lebda-like", put the kid in & see what he can do.

Janik will play before he does. He probably wont play. Wings will protect him from being thrown into his first NHL game during playoffs.

Janik will play before he does. He probably wont play. Wings will protect him from being thrown into his first NHL game during playoffs.

Darren Helm? :ph34r:

What chance he competes for a roster spot next season? I know we like to over-season our youngsters, But you can't help thinking he can take a 3rd pairing spot from Ericsson/Kindl right now.

With as bad as the Wings' D has been all season, bring Smith in as a Black Ace during the playoffs & if Ericsson, Salei, or Kindl look particularly "Lebda-like", put the kid in & see what he can do.

I kept hitting the + button but it still only gave you +1 :lol:

i agree with this completely. not sure if there'll be any spots, but i'd like to see smith compete for a roster spot on the wings next season. i'd love to see a mean ass line of him and stuart.

I kept hitting the + button but it still only gave you +1 :lol:

i agree with this completely. not sure if there'll be any spots, but i'd like to see smith compete for a roster spot on the wings next season. i'd love to see a mean ass line of him and stuart.

Kid definitely doesn't need to be rushed. He's still a liability to an NHL defense.

What chance he competes for a roster spot next season? I know we like to over-season our youngsters, But you can't help thinking he can take a 3rd pairing spot from Ericsson/Kindl right now.

He might be better than our bottom three of 7 D, but it isn't always who is the best who is on the team, but who can clear waviers so others can gain experience.

Ericsson and Kindl could improve a lot still with regular playing time. What if you brought Smith in, and Kindl rides the pine? He could end up leaving and being a great dman for someone else. Lest we not forget Quincey.

Another year in GR would not hurt Smith, and it would most likely help Kindl. Sometimes that is better in the long run for the team.

Of course if Lids goes away, I don't see Smith being left off the roster.