• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Wingsfan72

Wingsfan72

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:01 PM

I'm looking to get the phrase "Trust I seek and I find in you everyday for us something new" translated from english to finnish by someone who actually speaks finnish. I've typed it into several online translators and I've gotten different translations everytime and when I backward translate to make sure that it means what I want it to mean its never quite right. Can anyone help? It would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

If I die tell my wife I said, "Hello".

#2 Jenny

Jenny

Geeky Goalie Girl

• PipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:12 PM

LiveMocha.com is a web-community language learning site. (You can learn from native speakers and test your skills with people over the web, that kind of thing.) I signed up for it to learn Russian but haven't quite gotten around to it yet. I'm not sure how active their Finnish community is, but it's free to sign up and use the services, so it wouldn't hurt to see if someone there can help you.

detroit-skyline.jpg

My priorities: 1-Hockey. 2-Sleep. 3-Food. 4-Everything Else.

No, Ozzie is NOT the Breakfast Wizard!" -- my husband

#3 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:30 PM

That phrase is kinda hard for me to understand. Does it mean like "I seek trust" and then "I find something new in you for us everyday"? Because it's obviously from a song and that's why it seems kinda poetric. Correct me if that's not what it's meant to say.

If it is then the translation goes something like this: "Etsin luottamusta, ja löydän joka päivä meille sinussa jotain uutta." It's still sounds kinda weird,

but basically:

I = minä
seek = etsiä
I seek = minä etsin, you can cut off the "minä" part in Finnish so it sounds better -> so "etsin" only

trust = luottamus; in this case is luottamusta

ja = and

I = minä
find = löytää
I find = minä löydän, again just cut of the "I" part so -> "löydän"

everyday = joka päivä

for us = meille

in = in something so it's -ssa or -ssä ending
you = sinä
in you = sinussa

something = jotain

new = uusi; uutta in this phrase

Finnish is definitely one of the hard languages to learn and even many native speaker can't explain why something goes like it does. This was just a small example. Hope it helped.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#4 Wingsfan72

Wingsfan72

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:24 PM

That phrase is kinda hard for me to understand. Does it mean like "I seek trust" and then "I find something new in you for us everyday"? Because it's obviously from a song and that's why it seems kinda poetric. Correct me if that's not what it's meant to say.

If it is then the translation goes something like this: "Etsin luottamusta, ja löydän joka päivä meille sinussa jotain uutta." It's still sounds kinda weird,

but basically:

I = minä
seek = etsiä
I seek = minä etsin, you can cut off the "minä" part in Finnish so it sounds better -> so "etsin" only

trust = luottamus; in this case is luottamusta

ja = and

I = minä
find = löytää
I find = minä löydän, again just cut of the "I" part so -> "löydän"

everyday = joka päivä

for us = meille

in = in something so it's -ssa or -ssä ending
you = sinä
in you = sinussa

something = jotain

new = uusi; uutta in this phrase

Finnish is definitely one of the hard languages to learn and even many native speaker can't explain why something goes like it does. This was just a small example. Hope it helped.

Thanks a lot. Yeah its from the Metallica song "Nothing Else Matters" and that is what I believe it means. Im of Finnish decent and my wife and I were going to get a tattoo involving these lyrics and we planned on getting them in Finnish but our concern was that every translator we ran it through had a different translation....We just didnt want to be walking around with some random jumbling of words written on us for life haha.

I really appreciate your help, thanks.

If I die tell my wife I said, "Hello".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users