• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Travis

Shawn Thornton gets cut by skate

Rate this topic

How exactly do you taunt someone who was cut wide open by a skate? "Way to get cut by razor sharp blade, you *****!"

"If I ever find who it was, I'll deal with it my own way," Thornton said. "Yeah something was said. Obviously I can't swear when I talk to you guys. There was some stuff said that I am not happy about."

Cameras showed Thornton shoving and nearly punching Van Massenhoven, who was actually trying to stand between Thornton and the Chicago bench. "He heard it and he was [ticked]," Thornton said. "He was [ticked] too. He didn't know who it was either. He actually yelled at their bench. I appreciate it. Those guys on their team chirp a lot. I don't know if it is right when someone's face is half across the other side of their face."

It must fill 'Hawks fans' hearts with pride to know their team is represented by so many stand up guys.

Video: Shawn Thornton gets cut from skate, mocked by Blackhawks on Yahoo!

They also recently taunted a player leaving the ice with a knee injury, can't remember who or what team (Calgary maybe?)

Frightened to watch the video for fear of gore, but I really want to see what happened. Is the cut nasty? Ok for the squeamish to watch?

Frightened to watch the video for fear of gore, but I really want to see what happened. Is the cut nasty? Ok for the squeamish to watch?

The video posted? Or the knee injury?

There's a bit of blood, but it doesn't show Thornton's face. He reacts well and jumps up quick to try and get off the ice as fast as possible.

Sorry, shoulda been clearer (actually didn't mean to quote the poster above me). I was interested in the video posted, not the knee injury. I've got an aversion to watching people get sliced open (never could stomach those surgery shows), so I didn't want to open this up and be confronted with something Zednik-esque. Thanks for clarifying.

Just watched and wish I could hear what was said. Chances are it was just someone calling him out for being a ***** and leaving the ice over a little blood, not having actually seen that it was a skate to the face. Ouch. I don't care how chirpy Chicago's rep is, they don't seem to be stocked with the types of players who would knowingly taunt someone over something like that. But then, what the hell do I know? I'm just some dude on the internet.

Sorry, shoulda been clearer (actually didn't mean to quote the poster above me). I was interested in the video posted, not the knee injury. I've got an aversion to watching people get sliced open (never could stomach those surgery shows), so I didn't want to open this up and be confronted with something Zednik-esque. Thanks for clarifying.

Just watched and wish I could hear what was said. Chances are it was just someone calling him out for being a ***** and leaving the ice over a little blood, not having actually seen that it was a skate to the face. Ouch. I don't care how chirpy Chicago's rep is, they don't seem to be stocked with the types of players who would knowingly taunt someone over something like that. But then, what the hell do I know? I'm just some dude on the internet.

Brouwer, Bickell, Kane, Scott, Seabrook, Campbell, Dowell, Campoli, Pisani, Johnson... seem pretty stacked with potential chirpers if you ask me.

They've been known for a while now to be a bunch of s*** talkers. Nothing wrong with that for the most part, but they could show a little class when a guy is clearly injured and bleeding.

Its one thing to chirp on the ice, but when you are completely protected behind your own bench and know nothing can happen, its pretty cowardly to get your insults in there as a guy skates past bleeding.

I'm not one to say a guy ever deserves to be cut open by a skate, but this is a great example of why players should wear cages. Why, you ask?

Thornton didn't just "fall over."

He hit Pisani in the head, and followed it up by boarding the guy, which brought him off balance due to the presence of Kaberle near the net.

Thornton basically threw himself onto the ice so that he could waste this guy, even though the puck was gone.

Hell, I've never played hockey at even close to that level, and I know to keep your balance in that kind of situation for a number of reasons because of the injury potential.

I watched the video with the sound off, but maybe the Hawks were just telling Thornton he was a ******* idiot and that he got sliced open because he dove face-first into a skate?

The plot thickens. Or whatever.

The Chicago Blackhawks are brushing off comments by Boston Bruins forward Shawn Thornton that they're a team that likes to "chirp" on the bench and ice.

"I would say we're pretty quiet on the bench," coach Joel Quenneville said after practice on Thursday. "I would say I yell a lot, not at the other players."

Thornton was angry at someone on the Hawks bench during Tuesday's 3-0 win over Chicago after he was cut in the forehead by a skate. As he left the ice, bleeding, he heard some comments from the Hawks' bench which got him fired up. He made a move toward the bench but was restrained.

"Something was said," Thornton said after the game. "Obviously I can't swear when I talk to [the media]. There was some stuff said that I'm not happy about. I'm going to find out who it was and I will deal with it in my own way."

The Hawks weren't forthcoming Thursday with the exact comments that angered Thornton, but they brushed off his criticism.

"Someone said something to him," said Bryan Bickell, who works out with Thornton in the offseason. "Hopefully he's all right. I guess there were some words. I didn't hear it or who did it. It's all in good fun. There are times it gets heated, but I don't think our team is any different from any other team."

ESPNChicago.com Blackhawks blog

Blackhawks blog The latest news from Hawks beat reporter Jesse Rogers. Blog

Hawks' enforcer John Scott called Thornton a stand-up guy until Scott was informed Thornton said "those guys on their team chirp a lot."

"He said that?" Scott exclaimed. "That's fine. He can say what he wants.

"He's going after some of our littlest guys on our team. He's trying to challenge [Fernando] Pisani to a fight. What's that say about him? Mr. Tough Guy, trying to challenge Pisani. If I'm in the lineup he's more than welcome to come and chirp me. I'll kick the [expletive] out of him."

Scott called chirping "fair game" but acknowledged saying something to a guy as he's bleeding from his head might not be the right thing to do.

"I don't know if I'd do that," Scott said. "Thornton is kind of a stand-up guy. I saw it but I don't know who said anything. He was kind of being cheap that game. He gets what comes to him."

It's not the first time an opponent accused the Hawks of chirping at an injured player. Calgary Flames center man Brendan Morrison said the same thing happened to him when he was injured March 2 at the United Center.

per ESPNChicago.com

I like the he doesn't deny the fact that they talked s*** to him. Even Bryan Bickell acknowledged that someone did. But that's okay, because John Scott is going to "kick the s***" out of him for talking about something that no one denies them doing.

Article also answers the question of 'who else did they do that to?' that was brought up earlier in the thread.

Edited by Travis

per ESPNChicago.com

I like the he doesn't deny the fact that they talked s*** to him. Even Bryan Bickell acknowledged that someone did. But that's okay, because John Scott is going to "kick the s***" out of him for talking about something that no one denies them doing.

Article also answers the question of 'who else did they do that to?' that was brought up earlier in the thread.

John Scott said he would kick the s*** out of Thornton if he came up and "chirped" him. I would imagine Scott already held that opinion before the skate incident as well.

I'd love to see Scott do something to Thornton when Chara is on the ice. These scumbags have been classless since 09, I remember in their series vs Calgary Pierre kept saying how they were really giving it to Iginla. I dont wanna say what I believe they were saying to him, but I have a pretty good idea since Pierre was so adamant about it. f*** s***-Cago :thumbup:

man does anybody else think thornton is the man? or is it just me?

I love the guy, if we ever pick up an enforcer this is the guy I want without a doubt. Tough as nails, great guy, decent enough to not be a liability and chip in for the occasional point. I cant stand cocky guys, but Thornton just puts off a 'dont f*** with me' vibe and I love it.

per ESPNChicago.com

That's exactly what dumb, immature guys do, beat people up for looking at them funny, basically. Lame.