40 replies to this topic

#21 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,151 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:34 AM

On these boards?

You should see what he gets on fight boards. He's arguably the most hated player in the league there, and he should be. Huge spotpicker.

Like I said, he should be a "spotpicker" at least as you and his detractors use the definition.

Him fighting all takers would be stupid and hurt his team. He doesn't need to be trading punches in meaningless fights against much less talented players.

He's a talented player who fights. He's not an enforcer.

I guess Shanny was a spotpicker too.

Too me the phrase spotpicker is more about guys like Perry, who will try and fight Datsyuk.

#22 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:51 AM

Think Rosehill has a full time job next year for Burke?

If Orr can play (which he has been cleared to do)- likely not. Brown is the second fighter that Leafs went with for most of the season, and Rosehill would need to take his spot (or another one).

I am loving Looch. I remember one time I placed Lucic in the list of the best fighters in the league lately and got axed for it. He is more important to his team than this but man, he is simply awesome. I think his jersey would be a good purchase. Posted Image

Looch is a good fighter, but he is certainly not one of the best. Rosehill wouldn't be considered on anyone's best list, and Looch had a good fight for a draw. When talking about best, it's MacIntyre, Orr, Boogy, etc.

And this is why fighting is 100% useless and why I'm glad the Red Wings don't partake in it.

Lucic cost his team the game, instead of protecting the lead and playing smart, he chooses to fight a useless 4th liner and put his team at a disadvantage. Just a stupid decision on his part.

If one player being in the box costs your team the game, then your team probably doesn't deserve to win. How does your argument applicable to anyone not on the Wings' top 2 lines?

#23 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:28 AM

If Orr can play (which he has been cleared to do)- likely not. Brown is the second fighter that Leafs went with for most of the season, and Rosehill would need to take his spot (or another one).

Looch is a good fighter, but he is certainly not one of the best. Rosehill wouldn't be considered on anyone's best list, and Looch had a good fight for a draw. When talking about best, it's MacIntyre, Orr, Boogy, etc.

If one player being in the box costs your team the game, then your team probably doesn't deserve to win. How does your argument applicable to anyone not on the Wings' top 2 lines?

It will be interesting to see if Burke keeps Rosehill around, if in fact Colton Orr is 100% and ready to go next year. Maybe he could take Fredrik Sjostrom's spot, if he is dealt? We all know this team will undergo yet another summer of change. Burkie likes a surplus of willing combatants.

As far as Lucic goes, it would not benefit Boston for him to go with every guy that challenges him (Like someone already mentioned, I believe). He has gone with some heavyweights in the past.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#24 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 11:18 AM

It will be interesting to see if Burke keeps Rosehill around, if in fact Colton Orr is 100% and ready to go next year. Maybe he could take Fredrik Sjostrom's spot, if he is dealt? We all know this team will undergo yet another summer of change. Burkie likes a surplus of willing combatants.

As far as Lucic goes, it would not benefit Boston for him to go with every guy that challenges him (Like someone already mentioned, I believe). He has gone with some heavyweights in the past.

Yeah he takes flack for not fighting heavyweights, but has a fightcard with guys like Orr and Ivanans on it. For a guy who is the leading scorer on his team, even givingthose guys the time of day isn't really necessary. Add onto the fact that he is what, 21? Give him a few years to get his feet wet and maybe he'll be fighting the big heavyweights more often once he matures a bit

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#25 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,959 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 11:58 AM

Like I said, he should be a "spotpicker" at least as you and his detractors use the definition.

Him fighting all takers would be stupid and hurt his team. He doesn't need to be trading punches in meaningless fights against much less talented players.

He's a talented player who fights. He's not an enforcer.

I guess Shanny was a spotpicker too.

Too me the phrase spotpicker is more about guys like Perry, who will try and fight Datsyuk.

Then people around Boston and the NHL should stop acting like he's some legit heavy. They overrate the guy to ridiculous proportions, which antagonizes some fans against him even further.

He's the Sidney Crosby of hockey fighters, which is why so many people hate him.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 02 April 2011 - 12:00 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#26 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,151 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:21 PM

Then people around Boston and the NHL should stop acting like he's some legit heavy. They overrate the guy to ridiculous proportions, which antagonizes some fans against him even further.

He's the Sidney Crosby of hockey fighters, which is why so many people hate him.

Ok, I'll give you that one. :D

According to some Boston fans he's the second coming of Cam Neely.

#27 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 03:18 PM

Exactly. Lucic is a good fighter, but definitely not a legit heavyweight.

What does everyone think of Clowe? He's putting up good points and fighting some decent (but not legit heavies) people.

#28 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:10 PM

Bert was our Lucic tonight!

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#29 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:20 PM

Exactly. Lucic is a good fighter, but definitely not a legit heavyweight.

What does everyone think of Clowe? He's putting up good points and fighting some decent (but not legit heavies) people.

Clowe is an absolute beast, if he played for an 06 team instead of out on the west coast he would get even more love then Lucic does

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#30 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:21 PM

I tried to enjoy the video but Jack Edwards completely killed it

#31 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:28 PM

Clowe is an absolute beast, if he played for an 06 team instead of out on the west coast he would get even more love then Lucic does

Ryane Clowe is one of the very few true power forwards in today's NHL. Not many in today's NHL. He's number one on my wish list.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#32 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:06 PM

Ryane Clowe is one of the very few true power forwards in today's NHL. Not many in today's NHL. He's number one on my wish list.

Hes a newfoundlander if you didnt know, explains alot ;)

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#33 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:57 PM

And this is why fighting is 100% useless and why I'm glad the Red Wings don't partake in it.

Lucic cost his team the game, instead of protecting the lead and playing smart, he chooses to fight a useless 4th liner and put his team at a disadvantage. Just a stupid decision on his part.

I broadly agree with this. When Callahan is a Wing though, I'll like the idea of Wings fighting a little more :P
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#34 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:06 PM

I broadly agree with this. When Callahan is a Wing though, I'll like the idea of Wings fighting a little more :P

So because a guy on another team got in a fight at a bad time that means all the wings would pick bad times and cost the team the game?

Well I'm sure none of you guys who always complain about fighting were complaining when Bert sparked the team to a win

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#35 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:11 PM

So because a guy on another team got in a fight at a bad time that means all the wings would pick bad times and cost the team the game?

Well I'm sure none of you guys who always complain about fighting were complaining when Bert sparked the team to a win

I said broadly.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#36 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:49 PM

I said broadly.

I was more responded to the post you quoted then yours itself.

This is more directed at Carman, you talk about how fighting plays no role in the game then go on to talk about how Lucic cost his team the game with a fight? It obviously plays a part in the game if that was what cost them.

It seems like when there is a fight that is in favor of the wings, its "Oh Bertuzzi didnt sway the momentum, it didnt actually play a role" but then when it can help you prove that fighting is dumb its "Oh yeah that fight played a huge negative outcome on the game". Which one is it?

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#37 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:54 AM

Good fight. Had to mute it, though, so Jack Edwards didn't rot my brain.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#38 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:02 AM

Go watch girls hockey.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

#39 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:42 AM

I was more responded to the post you quoted then yours itself.

This is more directed at Carman, you talk about how fighting plays no role in the game then go on to talk about how Lucic cost his team the game with a fight? It obviously
plays a part in the game if that was what cost them.

It seems like when there is a fight that is in favor of the
wings, its "Oh Bertuzzi didnt sway the momentum, it didnt actually play a role" but then when it can help you prove that fighting is dumb its "Oh yeah that fight played a huge negative outcome on the game". Which one is it?

Ok let me try and clear up my opinion. I feel the role of fighting has been drastically diminished since the implementation of the instigator rule.

I acknowledge that a fight can effect the momentum and outcome of the game. But feel that the effect would be much less on a team like the Red Wings which are built on a puck possession system. The golden rule of an enforcer is to not fight when your team is ahead, unfortunately the egos of fighters now a days don't let them follow that line of thought. Therefore I feel that the risks would far outweigh the rewards of the Red Wings involving themselves into more fights. Especially if we were to use a roster slot for a player that cannot excel in a defensive/penalty kill role.

I feel that fighting is not necessary in today's game and that it's effect on the wings winning games would be negligible and would have little impact on the very goal set forth by every wings team- to win the Stanley Cup.

Now I would support a more physical bottom six, and was disappointed with some of the options Holland did not take, but I also understand that Holland puts forth his best effort to build a championship team and feel that our current roster is good enough as is.

Edited by Carman, 04 April 2011 - 01:27 PM.

#40 shaeb30

shaeb30

Jimmy Howard's Future 3rd String

• Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:09 PM

hahaha!!!! i absolutely LOVE the boxing stance by Lucic!