• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ShakeyWalton

Blues fan here, can I offer some perspective?

Rate this topic

Hey guys. I just got done reading the GDT from last night's game, and wanted to make a few comments.

First off, that was obviously a great game for us Blues fans to watch. To score 10 goals against any NHL team is quite a feat, but to do it to Detroit, in Detroit nonetheless, was remarkable. I must say though, that I am rather surprised at some of the comments in the GDT thread. I never thought I would see Red Wings fans question the leadership qualities of Lidstrom, or question the toughness of Franzen. There seemed to be a ton of negativity for just 1 game. For a minute there, I thought I was reading a Blues GDT.

I can understand the irrational posts after such a blowout, but you guys get a high seed in the playoffs, while we go home again. We'll trade you if you want? We have a concussed great young player that has shown no inclination that he'll be cleared to play, a very erratic goaltending tandem, players missing practices, a drunken golf cart injury that was the beginning of the end for a #1 overall, no playoffs 5 out of 6 years, and last but certainly not least, a dirt cheap payroll from an ownership that desperately wants out.

This thread was only created so that you Red Wings fans can appreciate what you have. Talk to you later and good luck in the playoffs.

Hey guys. I just got done reading the GDT from last night's game, and wanted to make a few comments.

First off, that was obviously a great game for us Blues fans to watch. To score 10 goals against any NHL team is quite a feat, but to do it to Detroit, in Detroit nonetheless, was remarkable. I must say though, that I am rather surprised at some of the comments in the GDT thread. I never thought I would see Red Wings fans question the leadership qualities of Lidstrom, or question the toughness of Franzen. There seemed to be a ton of negativity for just 1 game. For a minute there, I thought I was reading a Blues GDT.

I can understand the irrational posts after such a blowout, but you guys get a high seed in the playoffs, while we go home again. We'll trade you if you want? We have a concussed great young player that has shown no inclination that he'll be cleared to play, a very erratic goaltending tandem, players missing practices, a drunken golf cart injury that was the beginning of the end for a #1 overall, no playoffs 5 out of 6 years, and last but certainly not least, a dirt cheap payroll from an ownership that desperately wants out.

This thread was only created so that you Red Wings fans can appreciate what you have. Talk to you later and good luck in the playoffs.

Good points, all of them. No sarcasm there either. I think we're just frustrated that a once-feared defense has just so completely tanked over these past few seasons, which has led to some really erratic performances.

Mind you, Franzen does seem to have been bitten by the lazy bug. :P

Thanks Shakey,

I have my worries about the team right now, but I think folks really are a little spoiled. I think back to the series with your Blues in '96; watching game seven of that series was one of the most exciting, nail-biting times I can remember in my life. The fortunes of the two teams went in different directions after that game... While I can appreciate people being pissed off at our team playing well below what they should be capable of (they do have the personnel to avoid getting their asses handed to them that badly when they lose, to any team). I also wonder about the 'expectation' that we should win. The fans get rightfully angry when they sense that attitude, but they are just as guilty of it. I hate seeing the team not play to their capabilities, but on the whole, we have had it really good.

Thanks Shakey,

I have my worries about the team right now, but I think folks really are a little spoiled. I think back to the series with your Blues in '96; watching game seven of that series was one of the most exciting, nail-biting times I can remember in my life. The fortunes of the two teams went in different directions after that game... While I can appreciate people being pissed off at our team playing well below what they should be capable of (they do have the personnel to avoid getting their asses handed to them that badly when they lose, to any team). I also wonder about the 'expectation' that we should win. The fans get rightfully angry when they sense that attitude, but they are just as guilty of it. I hate seeing the team not play to their capabilities, but on the whole, we have had it really good.

Boy, did they ever. Thanks for reminding me of that game. Heading out the door for a 3 day bender in 3, 2, 1...

Edited by ShakeyWalton

didn't mean to send you off on a bender... I was not sure you were around back then. I actually miss the days of the Blues being perennially in the playoffs. Can't say I will wish you luck the next time we meet up, but I would like to see it happen more often. :)

edit: In the playoffs!

Edited by Austrianwing

didn't mean to send you off on a bender... I was not sure you were around back then. I actually miss the days of the Blues being perennially in the playoffs. Can't say I will wish you luck the next time we meet up, but I would like to see it happen more often. :)

edit: In the playoffs!

I really miss those days too. I'm 30 now, and started following hockey in the 90-91 season when the Blues were a powerhouse and made the awful trade with Vancouver that killed any chance we had and helped fuel their '94 Cup run (Courtnall, Momesso, Ronning, Dirk traded for Butcher and Dan Quinn).

Hockey was just more fun in general back then. ESPN games with Thorne and Clement, huge brawls between the Blues and Wings, miserable teams like Nashville and Atlanta to beat up on...

I just hope the Blues become relevant to Detroit again. Reading the GDT from last night helped confirm a long suspicion I have had; St. Louis is nothing but another team to you guys, while we consider it a big rivalry.

traded for Butcher and Dan Quinn).

/quote]

Just ran into Garth last Saturday, both dumping our tree trimmings at the local green waste yard. Don't worry, he didn't like the trade either. Although Bret Hull is the God father to one of his children.

Guest Shoreline

Keen observation, but what's funny is fans from other teams venture here a few times a season with the same view about fans here way too quick to flip the f*** out, but one thing you'll learn is that this team has both a large bandwagon fanbase and a spoiled, mildly-bipolar fanbase at the same time.

Edited by Shoreline

You have to see it from the half empty glass that has a crack in it filled with milk sitting outside in 100 degree F weather for the last 3 days view.

The frustration is not from one game, but the better part of 1/2 the season. This team has showed lack of effort and sloppy sloppy play.

I see it as this, if the team has so much potential, but is not living up to that due to lack of effort, then what is the point of making the playoffs?

mildly-bipolar fanbase at the same time.

Thought that read Mindfly-bipolar for a sec... Remember, that is bi-winning fanbase

Edited by Rivalred

Yeah, there were a lot of irrational posts made in the GDT, but a lot of us were just using the blowout to poke some fun at our own team, and to be humorous. However, there is real cause for concern, if you take a look at the Wings season as a whole this year. Our defense has failed to show up way to often, causing 3-4 goals against on a regular basis. The only reason the Wings are in the playoff position that they are is because our offense is able to score enough goals to get over these large deficits. I haven't heard anyone around here knocking Lidstrom, but it wouldn't surprise me if some less informed individuals were doing so. Franzen on the other hand, hasn't done much this season. He really needs to step up to the plate and earn his nickname.

In the end, I think the Wings needed to be embarassed to real light a fire under their asses to get going for the playoffs. I'm hoping they never forget the feeling they had skating off the ice Wednesday night, use it as motivation for playing at their absolute best during the playoffs.

Great post, couldn't have said it better myself, +1 to you.

Excellent thread, couldn't have said it any better myself. I certainly miss the old rivalry with Blues in the playoffs with Al MacInnis / Pronger etc...

Apparently our new young generation of Wings fans think that this team need to win 82 games, always be first place, keep winning or competing in the stanley cup finals each year and keep thinking that all our forwards need to be top 10 scoring.

I hope you stick around the boards because if we had 99% more Blues fans that think like you on this board and 99% Wings fans that actually keep complaining even tho we're top 10 team each year ... these boards would be much more mature.

Despite the Blues struggles over the years I honestly still enjoy the Wings/Blues matchups. St. Louis has a really good, young, talented team and it's only a matter of time until things fall into place for them. I loved seeing them hose Colorado in the Stewart trade. Let's not forget how hot they were early in the 2010-11 season. If it weren't for injuries this team would have made the playoffs. Both Halak and Conklin ended up with off years. Halak will return to form next year and if Oshie, Perron, and Stewart are all healthy this is a sick batch of forward.

Any Wings fan who doesnt appreciate the rivalry between these two teams is an idiot. The games between these two teams are always interesting no matter where they are in the standings. I honestly think the Blues will be a much improved team next year.

Don't judge all Wings fans by the erratic posts in the GDT. Some on this forum snap and lose their minds. I can understand their frustrations in a way but can't understand the hot and cold love affair for players.

Guest Heaten

Thanks for trying to cheer us.

I want to tell you that I think the Blues are damn good team despite their record. If they are healthy next year, look out. Your team could win Division and be a legit contender in the playoffs. I think the Blues owner will spend money fora deep playoff run!?!

I've was worried about the Blues at the beginning of the season when everyone was healthy. Your team, imo, was top 5 in the league. I think next year they will be a force to be reckoned with.

I'll swap you Hudler + Howard+pick for Halak straight up. :thumbup:

Reading the GDT from last night helped confirm a long suspicion I have had; St. Louis is nothing but another team to you guys, while we consider it a big rivalry.

Don't feel bad. I have friends all over North America that are fans of various teams, and for some reason the fans of most other teams consider Detroit to be one of or THE big rivalry to their team, while to Detroit and their fans, they are just another team in the league.

I assume it has to do with the fact that over the past couple decades Detroit has become the team to measure yourself against to most other teams, and all teams want to play good and hard against them.

Thanks for the nice responses about the Blues everybody. How fun were those days in the early and mid-90's when Detroit, Chicago, and St. Louis were all good teams that hated each other in the "Chuck" Norris Division? Kocur, Probert, Grimson, Peluso, Chase, Kimble, Twist, etc...

Rivalries have nearly gone the way of the dinosaur, and that is not right. Getting the Blues on a near even playing field with the Red Wings should boost the intensity. Wouldn't hurt if Detroit got a little tougher too. Red Wings have only 11 fighting majors this season, while the Blues have 72! Those numbers shocked me while I read them. It's pretty clear that teams don't have to fight to win, but it sure adds some excitement.

I like you.

You're welcome to stay. :D