• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Berry

Lines combos in the play-offs

Rate this topic

Here's my favourite combination:

Franzen-Dats-Huds (Huds showed some chemistry with Dats)

Cleary-Zetta-Berts (heavy bodies + skills)

Mo-Flip-Homer (unknown...)

Eaves-Drapes-Helm (consistency, Pk)

Abby could sometimes take Drapes spot. Miller is out...

Defense as usual... I'd prefer Salei instead of Kindl

Franzen-Dats-Huds

Who is going to go into the corners on this line? Who is going to screen the goalie? You don't want Franzen doing that. He needs to be setting up for a shot. It's not going to be the other two.

Franzen - Zetterberg - Bertuzzi

Hudler - Datsyuk - Cleary

Modano - Filppula - Holmstrom

Draper - Helm - Eaves

That's the best I could think of. Honestly, we have too many lazy floaters and invisible forwards, to put together any kind of decent combos. Even this one has multiple flaws.

Hmm..

We've got what GMR posted, which is ultimately one of our best options. But to try and shake things up, let's go off the board for a second and put our three top scorers on three different lines. Maybe we could use this setup:

Holmstrom/Zetterberg/Eaves

Hudler/Datsyuk/Cleary

Franzen/Filppula/Bertuzzi

Modano/Helm/Draper

While the fourth line isn't as much of a grinding line with Modano instead of Eaves, it has great speed and would make for a good fourth line to clear the puck out and maybe Modano's speed can help take advantage of Helm's millions of breakaways.

Alternatively:

Zetterberg/Datsyuk/Holmstrom

Hudler/Franzen/Bertuzzi

Modano/Filppula/Cleary (Cleary/Filppula/Eaves)

Draper/Helm/Eaves (Modano/Filppula/Draper)

I am not a huge fan of Franzen at center, but it's more for matchup purposes; having that big center who can match up against a guy like Thornton or Getzlaf is a huge asset.

Maybe we could use this setup:

Holmstrom/Zetterberg/Eaves

Hudler/Datsyuk/Cleary

Modano/Helm/Draper

I'm definitely in agreement that Hudler - Datsyuk - Cleary should be given another go. I also think it's worth splitting up the big three but at this point I don't see the value of putting Eaves up with Hank and Holmstrom. When he was hot and potting goals I was all for it because you'd maximize his output but right now he is playing well on the 4th. I like your lines but I think they'd be better served as:

Hudler/Datsyuk/Cleary

Holmstrom/Zetterberg/Modano

Eaves/Helm/Draper/Abdelkader

I think that'd be worth a shot. But a couple things worth noting:

1. Abdelkader has shown, lately, just how valuable he has been down the stretch and how good he looked between Bertuzzi and Franzen.

2. Modano - Filppula - Holmstrom developed some good chemistry so that's a line that you can always go back to

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Cleary ... puck control personified with all 3

Bertuzzi-Abdelkader-Franzen ... I am confident you have to keep rolling with this one.

Hudler-Flip-Holmstrom ... Not sure :lol: this is where it gets odd not sure they are good together

Draper/ Modano/Miller-Helm-Eaves ... Actually maybe Miller and as was noted, these guys just go all out and are a perfect 4th line for playoffs.

Lidstrom-Stuart

Ericsson-Rafalski

Kronwall-Salei/Kindl... nearly interchangeable right now but experience wins out currently.

Howard- starting

I know Modano will be in there and is actually vital for playoffs but just seems to me that with the lines listed its tough to get him above the 3rd or even 4th. We will see though, I am not paid to do that and probably best.

Edited by HankthaTank

Hudler and Holmstrom are fn up my line combo ideas because even when they compete at their highest level they still don't skate that well.

To me, the biggest problem this past season deals with the whole, "once we got our legs going we started to play better" company line. As you consider playoff pace and intensity, the guys who don't have as much of a problem skating around should get a spot within the top nine. But then that kind of thinking leaves you with a leftover 4th line of Hudler-Modano-Holmstrom and that line just looks God-awful right now based on regular season performance.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Cleary

Franzen-Filppula-Bertuzzi

Abdelkader-Helm-Eaves

Hudler-Modano-Holmstrom

...Ugh... In that situation, you tell yourself that with limited 5 on 5 minutes maybe they can be a little like the Robitaille-Larionov-Holmstrom line in the '02 playoffs or something. :unsure:

I am not a huge fan of Franzen at center, but it's more for matchup purposes; having that big center who can match up against a guy like Thornton or Getzlaf is a huge asset.[/font]

Eva, you are the only person in the world who would want Zetterberg and Datsyuk together on a line, yet still put Filppula on the third line, LEAVING THE SECOND LINE WITHOUT A GOOD CENTER. You're like the Fox News of LGW. Unbelievable.

Anyway, I've said for years that the best line we can have with Datsyuk and Zetterberg together. Remembering this...

Zetterberg Datsyuk Hudler/Homer

Franzen Filppula Cleary

Bertuzzi Modano H-omer/udler

Abdelkader Helm Eaves (Best 4th line in the NHL)

Try Hudler out on the first line, otherwise switch him with Homer. Bertuzzi doesn't work with Franzen IMO, so put him on the third line. Unfortuantely I have a feeling that third line is doomed to failure. Also, the way Fil and Franzen step it up in the playoffs, it's crazy not to put them together.

Edited by Z and D for the C

Hudler-Modano-Holmstrom

...Ugh... In that situation, you tell yourself that with limited 5 on 5 minutes maybe they can be a little like the Robitaille-Larionov-Holmstrom line in the '02 playoffs or something. :unsure:

I'm not trying to make fun of you but man, what a comparison ha. We should be so lucky ha. I'm just kidding.

Honestly, those two could be served so much better playing with other players because if they were put together their skating would be showcased for how poor it really is when it should be hidden by playing them with great skaters. Hudler and Holmstrom can produce and be effective I just doubt very much that they'd be effective together. But by the looks of your other lines I can understand you're reasoning.

I get the Abby to the 4th line thing but.... watching him play with the skilled players, why would you ever want him off that line? The kid could quite possibly be a more than legit forward in this league with the right talent next to him. It also seems to have done what we were hoping for and lit a fire under Mule's ass. :lol: mule's ass. Anywho... I do want Huds with Pav as that seems to help him considerably. Who knows how the cookie shall crumble though.

Edited by HankthaTank

I'm not trying to make fun of you but man, what a comparison ha. We should be so lucky ha. I'm just kidding.

Honestly, those two could be served so much better playing with other players because if they were put together their skating would be showcased for how poor it really is when it should be hidden by playing them with great skaters. Hudler and Holmstrom can produce and be effective I just doubt very much that they'd be effective together. But by the looks of your other lines I can understand you're reasoning.

Well, you know, like I somewhat implied in the previous post, it's not as if I wanted to put those guys together. I just got sick of anchoring two guys with Hudler/Holmstrom as I thought about the playoff pace and intensity. And yeah, the comparison is so bad that words can't describe it but when I got to the point where all I had left were those three guys I tried to think of anything that would present it in a better light. "Well... Robitaille was slow too... :ph34r:."

I get the Abby to the 4th line thing but.... watching him play with the skilled players, why would you ever want him off that line? The kid could quite possibly be a more than legit forward in this league with the right talent next to him. It also seems to have done what we were hoping for and lit a fire under Mule's ass. :lol: mule's ass. Anywho... I do want Huds with Pav as that seems to help him considerably. Who knows how the cookie shall crumble though.

This. If Abby keeps bringing to the table what he has lately, I don't see how you can keep him out of the line-up.

Franzen - Zetterberg - Bertuzzi

Hudler - Datsyuk - Cleary

Modano - Filppula - Holmstrom

Draper - Helm - Eaves

That's the best I could think of. Honestly, we have too many lazy floaters and invisible forwards, to put together any kind of decent combos. Even this one has multiple flaws.

Where's Abby?

esteef

i think you saw a preview of the lines for the playoffs last game

i really think that modano needs to prove himself before getting into the line up which wont happen. At this point i think draper and miller out play him. they play the PK, physical game, and can grind out some goals. way more then what modano is bringing to the table.

It doesn't really matter what line combos are out there for Game 1, we know Babcock's going to continually shake things up depending on how everything's going.

Either way, I'd try to split Pavel and Z on the road and keep them together at home. I guess I'd do something like this...

Home

Datsyuk / Zetterberg / Holmstrom

Franzen / Filppula / Bertuzzi

Hudler / Modano / Cleary

Abdelkader / Helm / Eaves

Draper

Away

Franzen / Datsyuk / Holmstrom

Cleary / Zetterberg / Bertuzzi

Filppula / Modano / Hudler

Abdelkader / Helm / Eaves

Draper

It's strange not penciling in Draper for the playoffs. Before the Nashville game, I may have taken out Abdelkader, but now I don't see who Draper would replace.

Where's Abby?

esteef

eva also has no Abdelkader... Are you guys feeling ok???

He's played better lately, but I'm not entirely sold on him.

I guess you could interchange him with Draper, and see which one plays better. I wouldn't put him any higher than the 4th line, however.

Also, I have said in the past that I'd sit Modano, but they may as well see what they paid for in the offseason. I'm not too keen on it, but as I said underneath my first post, there are no "great" line combos for this particular team. Too many lazy players and floaters.

Edited by GMRwings1983

For those annointing Franzen-Abby-Bert as the next big thing...

Remember BFF? Abby-Modano-Cleary? Hudler-Datsyuk-Cleary? Hudler-Hank-Cleary? Flip-Hank-Bert from last year? Mule-Hank-Cleary from two years ago? ZDH?

What looks good now may not stay that way. I'm not saying not to try it, just don't count on the magic lasting. That line will probably fade before we even get to the playoffs.

Z-D-H

Mule-Flip-Bert

Happy-Mo-Cleary

Abby-Helm-Eaves

For a baseline, then juggle as appropriate for injuries, hot/cold streaks, matchups, etc. Probably split Pav and Hank on the road. The good thing about this team is there are a million combinations that could work. Our success rides on our work ethic and health more than anything. Maybe add Jimmy in there. Line combos aren't going to make or break us.

Remember BFF? Abby-Modano-Cleary? Hudler-Datsyuk-Cleary? Hudler-Hank-Cleary? Flip-Hank-Bert from last year? Mule-Hank-Cleary from two years ago? ZDH?

What looks good now may not stay that way. I'm not saying not to try it, just don't count on the magic lasting. That line will probably fade before we even get to the playoffs.

Z-D-H

Mule-Flip-Bert

Happy-Mo-Cleary

Abby-Helm-Eaves

For a baseline, then juggle as appropriate for injuries, hot/cold streaks, matchups, etc. Probably split Pav and Hank on the road. The good thing about this team is there are a million combinations that could work. Our success rides on our work ethic and health more than anything. Maybe add Jimmy in there. Line combos aren't going to make or break us.

The thing about that line though is that its 3 guys who elevate their play magnificently come playoff time. They are also huge and 2 of them are capable of taking over a game physicaly while the other usually takes over every game in the playoffs.

3 guys this size would be killer to other teams D, and other teams top defenseman would be matched with them so Abby could run them through the boards every shift and wear down the other teams top defenseman instead of their number 5 and 6 if hes on the 4th line.

Z-D-H

Mule-Flip-Bert

Happy-Mo-Cleary

Abby-Helm-Eaves

FWIW weren't most of those line disrupted due to injury, or the need to get other players going? Until the line stops producing, why not ride if as long as it doesn't disrupt the other lines?

I think Abby should be in the regular lineup for the start of the playoffs. After that, play obviously determines who is in but there is no reason he hasn't earned it, especially with his recent play. IMO the Wings need his hitting and physical play in the playoffs.

The thing about that line though is that its 3 guys who elevate their play magnificently come playoff time. They are also huge and 2 of them are capable of taking over a game physicaly while the other usually takes over every game in the playoffs.

3 guys this size would be killer to other teams D, and other teams top defenseman would be matched with them so Abby could run them through the boards every shift and wear down the other teams top defenseman instead of their number 5 and 6 if hes on the 4th line.

One: Abby has barely played in the playoffs, and hasn't really been a factor when he has. A bit early to say he "elevates his play magnificently". Bert also not someone I'd think of as a clutch playoff performer.

Two: Top defensemen will be matched up against Pav and/or Hank as much as possible. Teams won't waste a top D-pair on a line centered by Abby. At least not on a team with so much other firepower.

Three: Abby, right now, can't score for s***. You can't expect him to produce at a top-6 level in the playoffs.

Four: Like every other 'phenomenal, unstoppable, can't-possibly-imagine-splitting-them-ever line' we've had in the past few years, they'll have one mediocre game and everyone will forget they ever even dreamt of keeping them intact.

One: Abby has barely played in the playoffs, and hasn't really been a factor when he has. A bit early to say he "elevates his play magnificently". Bert also not someone I'd think of as a clutch playoff performer.

Two: Top defensemen will be matched up against Pav and/or Hank as much as possible. Teams won't waste a top D-pair on a line centered by Abby. At least not on a team with so much other firepower.

Three: Abby, right now, can't score for s***. You can't expect him to produce at a top-6 level in the playoffs.

Four: Like every other 'phenomenal, unstoppable, can't-possibly-imagine-splitting-them-ever line' we've had in the past few years, they'll have one mediocre game and everyone will forget they ever even dreamt of keeping them intact.

Abby has 5 points in 21 playoff games- not bad for a fourth liner. Also, Abby has scored this season when put with skilled players. He was hot with Cleary and Modano, and he is now hot with Bert and Franzen.

Abby has what the team lacks- physical play.

Your example of top pairing not being used against Abby/Franzen/Bert is evidence for the line to stay together. If they will play against the third pairing d, than the line should definitely be successful.