Photo
- - - - -

4/2 GDT: Red Wings 4 at Predators 3 (OT)

• Please log in to reply
759 replies to this topic

#741 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:07 PM

After thinking more about this game I am really disappointed with Flips play today along with Mules and a few others. Those two just stood out to me because of how important they are to the team in order for us to go far. Mule was a little bit physical but only a couple of times I remember him putting some power into his skating stride. Other than that he pretty much just coasted with a couple of decent shots off which is the only thing he is relying on.

Flip was skating but not physical. There was about 3 or 4 times today that he chased a puck down in the corners but did not put the body on the Preds defensmen and they were able to make a quick pass out of trouble. It just seemed like he could not pick up the level of his play today compared to how Helm, Abby, Draper, Eaves, even Hudler did.

Going back to Hudler even he was playing hard along the boards today. Getting physical, mucking it up, getting knocked down and going right back into the corners. He might not of gotten a point today but he had a good game in that he competed for the puck damn near every single time he was on the ice.

#742 nuts2u

nuts2u

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:53 PM

Nope not at all what? He's not at all better than Salei or Kindl? Then why does Babcock continue to give Ericsson so many more minutes than either one of those guys? Why is it Kindl and Salei fighting for the bottom spot an not E? Tonight with Kronwall out, he moved Ericsson up to be the #4 d-man instead of Salei, a seasoned veteran who's logged 20+ minutes ATOI in his career.

Is Babcock an idiot?

Sure, Kindl looks pretty good for 13 minutes in a game. And Ericsson is going to have some gaffes when he plays 20 minutes.

At this point guys, I'm not even just stating my opinion that Ericsson is better than these guys (I think he is, but it's not like I'm crazy about his play or think it's by a wide margin). But Babcock clearly thinks he is.

If you took Ericsson out of the lineup, Kindl or Salei have to pick up a lot of those minutes. They're not going to look any better than Ericsson.

Salei made a strong case for sitting out a game tonight, but on the awful penalty he took at the end of the game, it started with a terrible turnover by Kindl, but no one seems to see those. Like I said earlier, hopefully E and Kindl will improve and the Wings will have two relatively young, big, cheap defenseman on the bottom pairing.

Thank you. I get real tired of all the bashing of Ericssson. This kid never even played defense until he was 17 years old. And he is now PLAYING IN THE NHL, that to me is just freakin amazing. And it Kindl's FIRST YEAR IN THE NHL. These young guys are going to make mistakes. I remember all this same s*** being said about Jiri Fischer the first 3 or 4 years he was with the Wings.

#743 matt198913

matt198913

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:50 PM

Ericsson plus 2 today cmon numbers don't lie... Franzen had a couple of chances Bert played PHYSICAL finally reminding me of his Vancouver days
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#744 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 12:07 AM

Greatf****** game by the boys. Fortunately I caught most of this game but had to leave in the 3rd.. glad to see they capped the comeback with getting two points. I wanna see this kind of intensity in the postseason. Certainly the defense and goaltending need work, but hell, at least they are in a mood not to go down without a fight.

By all means, please put me on ignore. If it reduces the amount of commenting on COMMENTS instead of on HOCKEY around here, I'm all for it. You sociology major wannabes around here are so much better of Red Wings fans than I am.

Marvel at the thought of people who enjoy something, in this case, Red Wings hockey, it being a Red Wing forum and all, and the person(s) that constantly ruin it with negativity and s***ting all over it. Derp.. I just can't figure out why people might respond to your posts with hostility? :crazy:

Edited by Shoreline, 03 April 2011 - 12:16 AM.

#745 Tman77

Tman77

Go Wings!

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 12:20 AM

Awesome comeback! Check out O'Briens comments on Abby on a Nashville news site:

“He probably felt a little bit tougher out there without Toots out there for sure,” O’Brien said. “Toots is one of the toughest guys in the league, pound-for-pound. I’m sure Abdelkader felt a little bit tougher tonight without Toots out there. We need Toots and we need him to be healthy, we need his style come playoff time big time.”

Link

#746 Bryguy

Bryguy

Zata

• PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:31 AM

Heh thats pretty funny, id be more afraid of weber as a player then stupid poopoo.

#747 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:06 AM

Link

funny he says that considering him, Fransen, and Weber all felt pretty tough last game because we don't have a piece of s*** player like Tootoo.

Great comeback win considering we put ourselves in a pretty damn bad situation to start the game, I hope they finally woke up!
There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#748 DyingAlive

DyingAlive

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:15 AM

Can someone please tell me what that Abdelkader boarding penalty was all about?
Posted Image

#749 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:48 AM

I want to make a public apology to Syntax and NvrFrgtRussian5. I was out of line when I criticized both of you for your posts about this game. Too often I make the mistake of letting my reaction build up from posts I don't agree with and then feel I have to react. I don't have to do nuthin'. You both have every right to say what you think. And even though I didn't think of it at the time, I did indeed have the advantage of knowing the positive results of the game when I responded to both of you. I hope you will accept my apology. :thumbup:

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#750 syntax

syntax

Join the Empire!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:02 AM

I want to make a public apology to Syntax and NvrFrgtRussian5. I was out of line when I criticized both of you for your posts about this game. Too often I make the mistake of letting my reaction build up from posts I don't agree with and then feel I have to react. I don't have to do nuthin'. You both have every right to say what you think. And even though I didn't think of it at the time, I did indeed have the advantage of knowing the positive results of the game when I responded to both of you. I hope you will accept my apology. :thumbup:

Apology absolutely accepted, though not necessary in my opinion. I value everyone's opinion on this board, whether or not they agree with me. In fact, I come here to read them.

The Wing just suck defensively right now, and that really bother me. A lot. If we hadn't started the season hot, we wouldn't have made the playoffs this year.

:beerbuddy:
The Vladinator He earned the NHL Plus/Minus Award in 1995-96, with a plus/minus difference of plus-60. The +60 has been the highest rating a player has finished with in the past 20 seasons, since Wayne Gretzky finished with a +70 in the 1986-87 NHL season

Pavel Datsyuk > x (where x is the name of any active hockey player)

#751 syntax

syntax

Join the Empire!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:41 AM

Marvel at the thought of people who enjoy something, in this case, Red Wings hockey, it being a Red Wing forum and all, and the person(s) that constantly ruin it with negativity and s***ting all over it. Derp.. I just can't figure out why people might respond to your posts with hostility? :crazy:

You're right. It'd be so much better around here if everyone had the exact same opinion. Or Matt and the Mods could just delete all thread comments that don't match 'hehe pretty rainbow' Red Wings mentality. If that's really what you want, why would you come here knowing that's not what this site is like?
The Vladinator He earned the NHL Plus/Minus Award in 1995-96, with a plus/minus difference of plus-60. The +60 has been the highest rating a player has finished with in the past 20 seasons, since Wayne Gretzky finished with a +70 in the 1986-87 NHL season

#752 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:46 AM

Apology absolutely accepted, though not necessary in my opinion. I value everyone's opinion on this board, whether or not they agree with me. In fact, I come here to read them.

The Wing just suck defensively right now, and that really bother me. A lot. If we hadn't started the season hot, we wouldn't have made the playoffs this year.

:beerbuddy:

You made my morning. :satisfied:

Now dammit, GO Wings!! Keep up the good work!!

Edited by Vladifan, 03 April 2011 - 10:49 AM.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#753 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:51 AM

You're right. It'd be so much better around here if everyone had the exact same opinion. Or Matt and the Mods could just delete all thread comments that don't match 'hehe pretty rainbow' Red Wings mentality. If that's really what you want, why would you come here knowing that's not what this site is like?

Mmmhmm, pretty rainbow mentality.. that covers approximately 0 posters here.

Gotta be one extreme or the other doesn't it? Wonder why it's adequately referred to as bi-polar? There ya go.

Edited by Shoreline, 03 April 2011 - 10:52 AM.

#754 syntax

syntax

Join the Empire!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:00 AM

Gotta be one extreme or the other doesn't it? Wonder why it's adequately referred to as bi-polar? There ya go.

Not gonna deny it. Extremely bi-polar and spoiled when it comes to the Wings. I know what they can do. I expect >40 goal differential and a GAA of <2.25 for our starter.

#755 BlueMonk

BlueMonk

Cleaner

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,591 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:09 AM

Link

I came here to post that link but you beat me to it.

This game was Exhibit A for what standing up to physical play can mean to a team. The Wings came out and punched Nashville in the mouth first. They initiated the rough stuff and answered anything Nashville came at them with. The Bertuzzi fights, the big hits, the responses after the whistle... Detroit did all of it and they won the game. By the time the 3rd period came around, guys like Weber and Erat weren't making noise and running around anymore. The Wings stood up for themselves and the two teams settled into playing hockey.

O'Brien is absolutely right, by the way. The presence of a guy like Tootoo would have made a difference.
"Just charge me with the usual." -Bob Probert

#756 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:30 AM

This game was quite a significant one. We might see them in the first round depending on how the chips fall. This was one of the teams that I didn't want to meet in round 1 but now, I'm not that worried. Don't get me wrong, we won't sweep but with a bit of tenacity, we can do the rest of the Western Conference teams a favour and take down the Preds.

Edited by RedWingsRox, 03 April 2011 - 11:31 AM.

#757 stuck in socal

stuck in socal

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 12:40 PM

Salei was terrible last night. I have never seen such a veteran dman make so many stupid plays. Defensively, I think the first two pairings will be fine playoff time, but the final pairing, whether it consists of Ericcson with Salei/Kindl really scares me. Teams will be able to exploit that pairing unfortunately.
Playoff Time. Let's Go Red Wings!!!!

#758 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 03:30 PM

Salei was terrible last night. I have never seen such a veteran dman make so many stupid plays. Defensively, I think the first two pairings will be fine playoff time, but the final pairing, whether it consists of Ericcson with Salei/Kindl really scares me. Teams will be able to exploit that pairing unfortunately.

Yup, Ericsson sucks donkey.

#759 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:36 AM

Why no video of Abby's hit on Erat?

#760 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 04:44 PM

Looks like the reffing were bad again.. How did they wave off the Lids goal, Homer was outside of the crease making no contact with the goalie. And how the heck do they call boarding on Abby?
IPB Image