• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Ozzie30

Coyotes or Thrashers to Winnipeg

Rate this topic

TSN - Dave Naylor

Basically states that the NHL could allow either of theses teams to move up to Winnipeg next season. If it happens and the Thrashers find themselves planted directly in the middle of the Western Conference, I don't see how the Wings are kept out of east. Because the Wings are a huge draw in every market and have really helped attendance in the unorthodox hockey markets out west, I can see Bettman screwing them. How? Technically speaking, Columbus is a bit (and I mean minuscule) further east, but the Wings have been fighting this fight much longer than the BJs and I think Illitch would absolutely lose his s*** if they're moved ahead of his team.

Guest Shoreline

Still has two requisites -- one, to see how financially viable Winnipeg is (wouldn't be a good idea to just jump from Point A to B without imperiling Winnipeg the same way Glendale is happy to do to their residents), and two, for Bettman to pull his head out of his ass. The latter has the worst odds of happening.

I definitely think the Wings moving to the East would be a good change. Without a doubt would bring back more Toronto and Montreal matchups.

Edited by Shoreline

As much as I'd like to see the Leafs and the O6 teams in the East,I'd miss just as many in the West.

I personally think they should do away with East and West all together and go back to Campbell and Wales and have every team travel equally... you want real parity, that's how you do it... as for the moves, give Winnipeg their Jets back, move ATL to Quebec and call it a day... we can revisit what to do with that abortion of an idea of putting a hockey team on South Beach another day...

Edited by stevkrause

I would love to see both Atlanta and Phoenix move.

Send Phoenix to Winnipeg and Atlanta to Quebec City.

PS.....Why haven't we heard Milwaukee mentioned as a possible destination for a NHL franchise? Hockey is big in Wisconsin.

I think it's wishful thinking to believe that the NHL would allow Detroit to move to the east, regardless of what happens with other franchises. The east already has four of the original six, and the top two non o6 teams from a marketing perspective (Caps and Pens). People talk today about the eastern conference bias -- moving Detroit would multiply that.

As much as I'd like to see it, I sincerely doubt it'll happen. This is a business, after all.

Guest Crymson

I think it's wishful thinking to believe that the NHL would allow Detroit to move to the east, regardless of what happens with other franchises. The east already has four of the original six, and the top two non o6 teams from a marketing perspective (Caps and Pens). People talk today about the eastern conference bias -- moving Detroit would multiply that.

As much as I'd like to see it, I sincerely doubt it'll happen. This is a business, after all.

Are you kidding? Putting Detroit in a division with Toronto, Bostom and Montreal would provide for some intense matchups on a regular basis.

Are you kidding? Putting Detroit in a division with Toronto, Bostom and Montreal would provide for some intense matchups on a regular basis.

I wish I was kidding. It would also remove one of the largest draws from any WC matchup Detroit is involved in.

Edited by Uncle Danny

From TSN:

"The guys have been talking about it a bit more every day, and the one sure thing is that we want to play in Phoenix and not in Winnipeg," Belanger told Sun Sports. "Personally, and I won't name any names, but I've chatted with guys that have played (in Winnipeg) and don't want to go back. There are reasons why hockey wasn't working in Winnipeg at the end, I don't see how that would have changed."

I can see why Belanger and the rest of "we" whould want to stay in Phoenix; after all, the crowds are so small, they know the fans by their first name.

In an attempt to save anyone the time of looking: Belanger was born in Sherbrooke, QC, Canada.

I think eventually teams will be moved back to Winnipeg and Quebec City, and there will be a second Toronto team.

Also I think Columbus will move East before the Wings. The Wings are the biggest draw in the West. No way they move East.

I think eventually teams will be moved back to Winnipeg and Quebec City, and there will be a second Toronto team.

Also I think Columbus will move East before the Wings. The Wings are the biggest draw in the West. No way they move East.

It has been reported on many sites that the league agreed to allow the Wings to move first if there was a change in the divisions. I believe this was years ago though, so I am not entirely confident it would still be applied.

I live near Vancouver so for selfish reasons i hope they stay in the west. I also think playing in the west makes the Red Wings better. The west in consistently better and having to compete in the west year in and year out is one of the reasons the Wings are so good.

Edited by nosyt612

Here's a better idea on what to do with both Phoneix and Atlanta: drop them both and have the other 28 teams choose the players from those teams. Deepen the talent pool by contracting the league. That will put on a better product than moving two teams round.

Oh, and also get rid of some of the god-awful refs in the league and dump Bettman and company that way we can get some competent people in charge that actually care about hockey.

Here's a better idea on what to do with both Phoneix and Atlanta: drop them both and have the other 28 teams choose the players from those teams. Deepen the talent pool by contracting the league. That will put on a better product than moving two teams round.

Oh, and also get rid of some of the god-awful refs in the league and dump Bettman and company that way we can get some competent people in charge that actually care about hockey.

Agree with both, especially Bettman. Also, I'd be in favor of dropping the league to 26 teams. The only players the league would lose would be the goons.

Edit: Again, great profile pic. I was listening to that album in the car tonight. I can't get enough of "Dead End Friends".

Edited by Barrie

Phoenix....if I had to choose one.

Atlanta is only a 2 hour drive, so I can go to a Wings game at least once a year (this year sucked). If Atlanta goes, I'd have drive 4 hours to Charlotte to see them play the Canes once a year.

I am from Manitoba. Winnipeg will never again have a NHL team. They could not support a team before and not much has changed. There simply is not enough people to support a team in Winnipeg and surrounding area and the Manitoba Government is not going to throw money in. I am not even sure if the new MTS Center is big enough anyways.

Guest Shoreline

I am from Manitoba. Winnipeg will never again have a NHL team. They could not support a team before and not much has changed. There simply is not enough people to support a team in Winnipeg and surrounding area and the Manitoba Government is not going to throw money in. I am not even sure if the new MTS Center is big enough anyways.

That's unfortunate.

Maybe contraction and a draft would be a better idea after all.

Guest Crymson

Agree with both, especially Bettman. Also, I'd be in favor of dropping the league to 26 teams. The only players the league would lose would be the goons.

Edit: Again, great profile pic. I was listening to that album in the car tonight. I can't get enough of "Dead End Friends".

No. Compression to 26 teams would release a tremendous number of skilled players; the KHL would likely pick these up and become much more powerful. Is that something you want?

I was under the impression that there was a housing boom in the area over the last 10 years. Is this not true?