apparently johan franzen is a member here at LGW :ph34r:

Must live in the Ottawa area

#22 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:30 PM

People who have been saying "well of course it's Datsyuk, (winning percentage stats)" are ignoring reality. How well would the Wings have done had it been Z out instead of Datsyuk during that time frame? If the Wings just kept plugging along at a .650 or .700 or whatever it is, that would be a fair argument for Datsyuk not being an elite center.

Zetterberg is the team's MVP this season. His performance has carried the team both as the best player and as the leader. If you look back, the notable bad games the team has had are all times when Z had a bad game. St. Louis most recently. Z carried the team offensively when Dats first went out, and if not for the lack of defensive structure and the goaltending failures, the Wings would be in a much stronger position due to giving up far fewer goals and thus having won many more games.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#23 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:01 PM

The same guy it's been for the last, oh, decade or so.

Posted Image
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#24 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:02 PM

"As soon Pavel gets on the ice, the whole team suddenly has more space and has the puck way more," said Wings coach Mike Babcock. "I don't know why, but that's just the way it is. He scares you."

http://detnews.com/a...0339/1128/rss16

#25 under_par_00

under_par_00

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:04 PM

Without a doubt, Datsyuk.

The only reason not to vote for him would be all the time missed due to injuries.

Honorable mention:

Zetterberg
Lidstrom
Helm

#26 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:09 PM

The Wings slipped to third in the conference, and lacked a lot of creativity wihth the puck, in the weeks without Datsyuk. That ought to tell you something.

#27 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:20 PM

I think Datsyuk and Helm have been the two biggest difference makers.

#28 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:29 PM

I see the argument for Zetterberg, if he hadn't been able to carry the team with Datsyuk out they'd be dead in the water. However, Datsyuk has just been amazing and integral to our success. It's amazing how the team goes from unsure of themselves to dominance.

I honestly don't think Lidstrom has been MVP. I don't want to speak ill of him, but to outsiders it appears as if his leadership was lacking a bit. He's having a great year, no doubt, but nobody has carried this team like Zetterberg and Datsyuk.

Helm should also be an honorable mention, but he's not MVP because he hasn't carried the team. The way he's so hard working and consistently making things happen out there makes me want to give him MVP, though.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#29 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:51 PM

The Wings slipped to third in the conference, and lacked a lot of creativity wihth the puck, in the weeks without Datsyuk. That ought to tell you something.

Yeah, it tells us all "Replacing an elite talent with a fourth-liner will make your team less effective."

Say the Wings keep the current roster next year, save for Lidstrom due to retirement, and Meech is named the 7th defenseman... how do you think that would work out in the standings? Division champs? Top 4? Top 8? Bottom-feeder? Datsyuk being out is big, but it's not like all of the other Wings are just sitting there saying "Hey Pav, go do something." as you make it. And having a top center like Datsyuk out is a HUGE blow to a team, whether he is their MVP or not. Having Lids or Z out for that much would have been just as bad.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#30 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:12 AM

Lidstrom. Datsyuk is being overrated here because of the games he missed and the subsequent Wings performance. While he is a close second, I don't even want to imagine what this team would look like with Lidstrom out 20+ games.
If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.

#31 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:23 AM

Between Z, Dats and Lids it's very close.

But Dats has missed a few too many games. And our defense has been pretty bad, I think even Lids has been less than amazing defensively on many nights which his +/- indicates.

Z however has been carrying a heavy burden when Pav has been out, and most of the time he has done a great job.

So I voted for Z. Even though I think Pavel has been our best player, when he has been able to play.

#32 Vladimir316

Vladimir316

Rookie

• Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 04:36 AM

Where is the Kindl button?
Jokes aside... definitely #13
Red Wings:
Serie in 7: $2(0) Serie in 6: $5 (0) Serie in 5: $7(0) Serie in 4: $10(1) Kronwalled: $5(2) Homer Screening Goal: $5(3) Eurotwin combo: $5(2) The Mule Multi Goal: $5(0) Winning Cup: $15(0)

Rangers:
Serie in 7: $4(0) Serie in 6: $7(0) Serie in 5: $10(0) Serie in 4: $15(0) Save previous rounds making finals x: $0.05(143*) Save Stanley Finals x: $0.05(0) Lundqvist Shutout: $5(0) Dubinsky Goal: $2(2) Stepan Goal: $3(0) Goal any Other Rag $1(6) Prust/Avery Fight: $3(0) Winning Cup: $20(0)

TOTAL RED WINGS: $45 TOTAL RANGERS : $10 TOTAL MONEY ON THE BOARD : $55
*objective not completed!
Updated after Second Round Wings

REST IN PEACE DEREK, YOU WILL ENFORCE A LOT MORE IN THE HEAVEN HOCKEY LEAGUE!

#33 taxijim

taxijim

Rookie

• Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:09 AM

no Helm......no vote!

#34 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:31 AM

Salei.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#35 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:20 AM

It has to be Pash but to not even list Helm is a bit of a joke. He gets honorable mention but as most have said, this is just a totally different team when 13 is out there. At one point he was probably vying for the Hart before the injuries. Definitely Datsyuk with some kudos to Helm, Z, and Nick.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#36 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:35 AM

After much deliberation

Zetterberg. I just think he was one of the rocks this season (HM, Lidstrom). Had a very impressive but under the radar regular season and picked up the slack where he needed to. Maybe to a fault.

Edited by Broken 16, 04 April 2011 - 08:37 AM.

#37 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:40 AM

This team is much better with Dats in lineup so I will give it to him. Honorable mentions to Lids, Hank and Helm.
"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman

#38 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:45 AM

I am going to have to change it up. Hank has been simply spectacular without Pav and shouldering the offensive load. Some of his performances are just mind boggling and not on the stat sheet either. He is just as dogged on the puck as I have ever seen him and that isn't even to make the excuse (which "I will right now) about his back issues too. Just a great season for Hank this year, my boy blue!!! Posted Image Might get a vote or 2 for the Hart too, ya never know.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#39 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:52 PM

Voted Zetterberg. He carried us while Datsyuk was injured.

i voted Z. not cause he's my favorite player, as Dats is up there a hair beneath him for favorite, but because Z's been the backbone of this team. he hasn't missed a game all year, and he's been responsible to carry the load with massive amounts of injuries to the others. Dats missed 25, cleary missed a bunch, stuart missed weeks....the list continues. and Z is 1 over a point a game in a very trying season. lids has also been great, but Z has been driving hard all year doing everything from PP to PK. i really hope he gets his 2nd wind come playoff time cause he's been going so hard this year. he'd look great with another conn smythe to accompany his playoff beard. though i'd really like to see Dats or Helm win the conn smythe. yes...Helm!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#40 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:06 PM

I know people are giving Dats a lot of votes (which is hardly a bad choice) because of how the team performed when he was out. The thing is, this team has almost never been without Lidstrom for any significant stretc, which is pretty amazing, and also why it's hard to get the impact of how they'd be without him. I think you have to go back to 2008 when he had the knee sprain.