• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#41 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:07 PM

I agree about the travel and about the opponents. But keep in mind, SJ, Van, LA, Phx, those all have to do plenty of travel themselves. I don't know if it's harder for them to travel here and play earlier games to their biological clocks or for east coast teams to travel west and play later games according to their biological clocks (probably better to travel east than west actually).

In a perfect scenario, Chicago gets 7th or 8th, we get 3rd, avoid Chicago, and let Chicago take a shot at upsetting one of the other two big boys who in my opinion, and it is painful to say it, look to be the teams to beat over the Wings in the west. Not just because they finished higher in standing, but because they have not won anything and both teams are very good, well rounded, well coached, and have had disappointing post seasons in recent memory.

I don't know if I'm more afraid of Vancouver or SJ this year. San Jose just looks scary as hell. They just dismantled Dallas, a team that is trying ot make the playoffs, then just dismantled LA, which was trying to catch them in the standings. scoring 6 goals on both of those teams in a 'playoff atmosphere' to me is scary.

Chicago scares me because they're the one team that has something to prove specfically with beating Detroit. I don't think the wings will go to Chicago and win any games there. I think it would be a seven game series and a home team series (home team wins all the games). That chitcago crowd is BRUTAL. I can't stand the "Detroit Sucks" chant constantly. I just don't want to go through that, at least not in round 1. IF we were to get them in round 2 or even 3 I could deal with it then, but not round 1. That would likely mean we'd have to face Chicago, SJ, then VAN and that would probably be an overbearing path.

You're right, Red Wings should just forfeit the playoffs this year. :ph34r:

#42 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:21 PM

I don't want Anaheim as we all know it's one great line, that Swiss Miss goalie and 16 cave trolls. They are capable of any evil. Playing Nashville is like playing a hive of bees with a sharp netminder. There are +'s and -'s to each matchup I suppose but those two I would not like

Love your phraseology. THANKS. :lol:

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#43 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:45 PM

Chicago plays: Montreal tonight; the Blues Wed.; Us, Friday and Sunday.

San Jose plays: Anaheim Wed.; Phoenix Fri. and Sat.

Preds play: Atlanta tonight; Columbus, Fri.; and St. Louis, Sat.

Coyotes play: LA, Wed.; and SJ on Fri. and Sat.

From the looks of these lineups, Preds have the easiest schedule.

But what it all means I have NO idea. Except that if the Wings are on and focused, they can beat anyone. :deal:

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#44 hockeychik25

hockeychik25

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:47 PM

even though the time change i would rather play the ducks. i think we can beat them. i dont want to play the hawks
Piet Van Zant and Kevin Rand better watch out, one day I will be athletic trainer for the wings or tigers! :)

#45 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:49 PM

To be honest, give me the Hawks for all the opposite reasons everyone else is posting in here. I hate hearing Wings fans sound scared Posted Image
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#46 hockeychik25

hockeychik25

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:49 PM

also i can't wait til the photoshop begins :)
Piet Van Zant and Kevin Rand better watch out, one day I will be athletic trainer for the wings or tigers! :)

#47 WingZNut13

WingZNut13

2nd Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:27 PM

At this point, I don't care. I don't want to play Nashville AT. ALL!

But like LeBrun said the other day on ESPN, "...as Chicago found out, no one wants to play Detroit when they are angry and right now, they are playing angry and have a chip on their shoulder."

I think the Chicago game was a turning point. I tihnk at this point, we dispose of Anaheim in the first round and then after that, there is no telling who we get.

I was thinking about this last night to be honest. Besides winning, that's my favorite part.
What kind of color is red? Red is a warning. A declaration. A color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and Driven because red doesn't like second place. So what Kind of color is red? Our kind" - The Red Wing Army

#48 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:30 PM

Come on hawks lose tonight :D

#49 Firehawk

Firehawk

Don't Touch My Pop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:51 PM

At this point, I don't care. I don't want to play Nashville AT. ALL!

But like LeBrun said the other day on ESPN, "...as Chicago found out, no one wants to play Detroit when they are angry and right now, they are playing angry and have a chip on their shoulder."

I think the Chicago game was a turning point. I tihnk at this point, we dispose of Anaheim in the first round and then after that, there is no telling who we get.

I was thinking about this last night to be honest. Besides winning, that's my favorite part.

Do you mean Nashville? We didn't play chicago recently where we won.

I'm not saying the Wings can't win the cup at all, I'm just saying we are not the benchmark team in the west. And I think this can be a good thing. I still think SJ and Vancouver are the teams favored in general to win the cup. The wings are in the conversation but not like in past years. I think the Wings can do it, but a lot has to go right. The goalie situation needs to stabilize, the defense needs to be solid unlike during the regular season, and the big guns have to be the big guns.

If all that happens, we are as formidable as anyone but I don't feel comfortable picking the wings to win the cup like I have the past few years.
U GUYS ARE FUKIN ANYOING IM GONNA COME DOWN THERE AND KILL ALL YALL THE ONLY THING THAT SAVED UR TEAM WAS OSGOOD AND OSSGOOD SUKS 2 JUST LIKE UR WHOLE FUKIN TEAM I HOPE U HEARD THIS AND THINK CAUSE ALL I GOT TO SAY TO U IS UR A BUNCH OF FUKIN IDIOTS BARONS A HOOSER CUSE HE WENT TO UR TEAM AND I HOPE U GUYS SHOULD SEND UR TEAM TO ANOTHER CITY CAUSE U GUYS ARE A BUNCH OF FUKIN WHINERS GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! --- A canucks fan on stltoday.com

This was so funny I had to set it as my sig.

#50 stuck in socal

stuck in socal

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:57 PM

Hawks lose in OT and Dallas pulls a win. Things are getting very interesting!
Playoff Time. Let's Go Red Wings!!!!

#51 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:57 PM

Chicago plays: Montreal tonight; the Blues Wed.; Us, Friday and Sunday.

San Jose plays: Anaheim Wed.; Phoenix Fri. and Sat.

Preds play: Atlanta tonight; Columbus, Fri.; and St. Louis, Sat.

Coyotes play: LA, Wed.; and SJ on Fri. and Sat.

From the looks of these lineups, Preds have the easiest schedule.

But what it all means I have NO idea. Except that if the Wings are on and focused, they can beat anyone. :deal:

I wouldn't completely count out Dallas. They have 2 against Colorado and finish at Minnesota. They also win a head-to-head tiebreaker against Chicago if they tie in wins. (With the win tonight, they're one win and two points back, so definitely feasible.)

Calgary has pretty much no chance. 95 points max and they can't win a tiebreaker against anyone.

Anaheim wins every potential tiebreaker, they just need a few points.

LA is a practical lock. They play Phoenix, then 2 against Anaheim. Those three games produce 35 possible point combinations for those three teams. LA makes the playoffs in 33 of them. They also clinch if Dallas loses a game (as do Anaheim and Phoenix).

Nashville is all but locked with their win tonight. They'd need to lose both remaining games, have Dallas win out (all in regulation/OT) and have Chicago and Anaheim both gain at least 4 of 6 points (with Chicago needing at least one Reg/OT win or 5 points).

I think SJ is on a mission to stay ahead of us, and I don't think we care enough.

So I'll say:
Van
SJ
Det
LA
Nas (maybe flipped with LA)
Phx
Chi
Ana

Edited by Buppy, 05 April 2011 - 09:58 PM.

#52 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:09 PM

I wouldn't completely count out Dallas. They have 2 against Colorado and finish at Minnesota. They also win a head-to-head tiebreaker against Chicago if they tie in wins. (With the win tonight, they're one win and two points back, so definitely feasible.)

Calgary has pretty much no chance. 95 points max and they can't win a tiebreaker against anyone.

Anaheim wins every potential tiebreaker, they just need a few points.

LA is a practical lock. They play Phoenix, then 2 against Anaheim. Those three games produce 35 possible point combinations for those three teams. LA makes the playoffs in 33 of them. They also clinch if Dallas loses a game (as do Anaheim and Phoenix).

Nashville is all but locked with their win tonight. They'd need to lose both remaining games, have Dallas win out (all in regulation/OT) and have Chicago and Anaheim both gain at least 4 of 6 points (with Chicago needing at least one Reg/OT win or 5 points).

I think SJ is on a mission to stay ahead of us, and I don't think we care enough.

So I'll say:
Van
SJ
Det
LA
Nas (maybe flipped with LA)
Phx
Chi
Ana

I wouldn't mind at all if Dallas won out. It would certainly affect Chicago's chances, which is just fine by me. :P Also, Anaheim plays the Kings twice and San Jose once, so it doesn't look like easy pickin's for them. It's gonna be fun watching all this play out. I still say if the Wings play focused and the way we know they can, "we" can pull this off!

#53 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:16 PM

All I know is that the Wings do best when flying under the radar, like they are this year.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#54 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,133 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 11:33 PM

i think the wings will decide chicagos playoff future.

#55 McAwesome

McAwesome

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:16 AM

^This, I always have fun with the photoshop wars, especially since there are some very creative and talented people on this board.

Also, I hope that the Wings do keep Chicago out of the playoffs, that would be the perfect revenge and would really put all of the bandwagon 'Hawkeytown' :puke: fans in their place, "Detroit Sucks", yeah, well we just eliminated your sorry selves before you even got a chance to defend your title, enjoy the next 49 years.

7yss.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#56 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:47 AM

From a fan point of view, I am really not looking forward to a Red Wings/Coyotes rematch. Seriously, I just don't want to hear Doc Emrick talk about last year and try to hype it up for this year...

I think new blood would be funner to watch imo. Bring on LA Kings, please.

#57 SouthernHockeyHoney

SouthernHockeyHoney

Rookie

• Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:20 AM

From a fan point of view, I am really not looking forward to a Red Wings/Coyotes rematch. Seriously, I just don't want to hear Doc Emrick talk about last year and try to hype it up for this year...

I think new blood would be funner to watch imo. Bring on LA Kings, please.

I NEVER thought I'd say this, but I prefer the VERSUS commentators to NBC. I'd rather not listen to either! Sometimes, I get so annoyed that I mute the TV and turn on the radio to our local broadcast. Much better.
The only thing better than a cold glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill.

#58 pjgj13

pjgj13

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 04:18 PM

That's probably a little bit of wishful thinking right there...despite the travel issue, of all the possible playoff match ups the Coyotes have given the Wings the least amount of difficulty this season.

They handled the Ducks fairly easily as well. Outscoring them something like 13-4 and took the series 3-1 and the 1 loss was the OT penalty shot winner (if memory is correct!)!

#59 Trapt1307

Trapt1307

Tootoo + Hem = Win

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 12:47 AM

Just looking at the standings and the remaining schedules, I'm thinking the Wings will end up with Phoenix.

Phoenix and San Jose play twice, I'm assuming they'll split

The Wings and Chicago play twice, I'm assuming they'll split

LA and Anaheim play twice, I'm assuming they'll split

I'm assuming Nashville will win their last two games (CBJ & STL)

1. VAN
2. SJ
3. DET
4. NSH
5. LA
6. PHO
7. ANA
8. CHI

I could live with that. I'd prefer LA over Phoenix, but Phoenix would be my second choice out of the bunch.
"Scotty hated the world and treated everybody the same, from me to Steve Yzerman,'' Legace said. ''Scotty would rip anybody, and had the personality of ant."

#60 Manoir

Manoir

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:00 AM

"Play-offs ?"

-Jay Bouwmeester

Edited by Manoir, 07 April 2011 - 01:00 AM.