• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Mors

Babcock healthy-scratch decisions

Rate this topic

I find it completely bizarre that Babcock would scratch Modano against the Wild, preventing him from reaching his 1500th game milestone this season (he's at 1496 with 3 games left now). Modano has been skating hard and generating opportunities, and the Wild are a non-playoff team...was this really necessary?

Scratching Miller against the Sabres earlier in the season when his whole family was in attendance also seemed like a dick move.

I'm sure he has his reasons, but I agree that those are real head-scratchers. It's not like either player was being terrible. Both had reasons to want to play. I know that no matter who is scratched there will be someone who is disappointed, but it's not like they are young under-performing kids who need to be sat to be taught a lesson.

Yeah, not really sure. Babs knows the matchups and might just want to rest up Modano with that groin issue he seemed to be having lately. Miller is a plug-in here and there and usually does a great job in that role. Those scenarios are pretty strange though, I'll give you that.

I had heard that Mo was listed as a healthy scratch, but that he was sore. I took that to mean that someone had to be a healthy scratch, and they chose him. The soreness was a side issue that would have not kept him out.

I could have read that differently than was intended. I read the two things as being unrelated.

I had heard that Mo was listed as a healthy scratch, but that he was sore. I took that to mean that someone had to be a healthy scratch, and they chose him. The soreness was a side issue that would have not kept him out.

I could have read that differently than was intended. I read the two things as being unrelated.

That could be the case, but the soreness was probably why they decided to scratch him since they had to scratch somebody, not some conspiracy about keeping him from getting a bonus that wouldn't affect Babcock in any way whatsoever like others have suggested.

I thought his bonus was 52/55 games and was already terminated due to his wrist injury? That was discussed awhile back at the beginning of the season when it happened. Is there more stipluations to it?

I thought his bonus was 52/55 games and was already terminated due to his wrist injury? That was discussed awhile back at the beginning of the season when it happened. Is there more stipluations to it?

There is a bonus for him playing 40 games.

Guest Crymson

I doubt that. Look at the starters for the night Mac returned to the fold in '08:

startinggrinders.jpg

Now that's sentiment.

Hey, I took that picture :)

Edited by Crymson

"It was one of those tough decisions," Babcock said. "He had a chance to get to 1,500 games. And yet, him and Drapes, both for their age up front, I satthem out.

"We didn't bring him here to get 1,500 games. We brought him here to win the Cup.That's our total focus."

Modano said after Saturday's game he was fine and not bothered by the hip flexor that kept him from skating Thursday.

Changes my thoughts, it's hard that Babcock is really rough on the guys to the public but we obviously don't know if there was a pre-arranged meeting between the two parties. Babcock could've apologized to Modano, or Modano could've inputted that he was fine with it and he understands we didnt want the cap hit. Who knows?

Edited by evilzyme

Babs never cared much for personal benefit or individual milestones. I remember reading that the team had to really coax him into letting Ozzie play at home so he could possibly reach whatever milestone he hit recently in front of a home crowd. He's 100% about what's best for the team and I don't think personal stories factor even the slightest into who's dressed or not.

I suspect Modano will play the last 3 games if that's what is required to get his bonus, the Wings aren't that kind of a team. Besides I doubt 150k is going to make a difference to Modano at this stage of his career, after taxes and his agent fees he'd be lucky to get 50k.

Maybe it is a master plan in order to make Modano come back for one more season.

Personally, I hope he doesn't come back. I was all for a one and done but two seasons is too much imo. I'd much rather see one of the youngsters next season, regardless of what Modano does in the playoffs.

While I don't understand Babs' reasoning in Miller, Ozzie, or Modano's situations, since it appears he has no room for sentiment, he does still surprise me by giving the guys leave to go visit their families (Stuart and Salei), unless that's more Holland's decision than Babs'.