• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest CaliWingsNut

New York based writers choosing not to vote on awards this year...

Rate this topic

Guest CaliWingsNut

This has been around a bit, but haven't seen a thread on it.

Chris Botta, who used to be a V.P. in marketing for the Islanders, was stripped of his media credentials for "unspecified reasons" by the Islanders. He writes a blog for the New York Times (the blog was originally started/funded by the Islanders) and contributes articles to Yahoo.

The Professional Hockey Writers Association New York Chapter's response is to withhold their votes for the Hart, Calder, Selke, Norris and Lady Byng Trophies. The 21 (out of 160) writers protesting on Botta's behalf include all 5 from the Islanders, all 5 from the Devils, 3 (out of 10) from the Rangers, and 1 from Nashville.

I'm on the side of the reporters here, but think the voting strike isn't the best choice of response.

Puck Daddy

Edit: major re-write for clarity.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/39518-THNcom-Blog-Writers-awardvoting-boycott-wont-compromise-process.html

There's a link to Ken Campbell's take on the subject. I was actually shocked to see he didn't bring up another reason to ban fighting in there. But, maybe he did put that in there in hidden code, and I just haven't figured it out yet.