• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

cupforwings

Are the Wings going to keep the Hawks out of the playoffs?

Rate this topic

The Wings don't want to be like the Chicago Bears. The Bears played the Packers on the last game of the season this year. The Packers needed to win in order to make the playoffs. The Bears didn't play well and let the Packers in. The Packers eventually beat the Bears in the NFC Championship game and went on to win the Super Bowl. Point is, beat them now so you don't have to beat them later.

I've been going back & forth with a coworker in Chicago trying to figure out what I would consider sweeter, the Hawks making it in & being bounced in the first round or the Wings sweeping the back-to-back games & keeping them out of the playoffs. Gotta land on the side going for the jugular & keeping them out of the playoffs. Gotta finish them off when you have the chance.

lolcats-finish-him.jpg

I have mixed feelings. It would be pretty nice for them not to even make the playoffs the season after winning the Cup, especially at the Wings hands. But I also like the idea of a Vancouver-Hawks first round matchup. That way, no matter who wins, I can be happy one of those teams lost. :D

I guess I also need the Ducks to win so the Hawks don't end up in the 7th spot. Not that I don't want them to play the Wings, but it foils my plan.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

The Wings don't want to be like the Chicago Bears. The Bears played the Packers on the last game of the season this year. The Packers needed to win in order to make the playoffs. The Bears didn't play well and let the Packers in. The Packers eventually beat the Bears in the NFC Championship game and went on to win the Super Bowl. Point is, beat them now so you don't have to beat them later.

Yep, I think this is the best point so far... Chicago is a team that could go far in the playoffs. Better to keep them out so it doesn't come back to bite us later. Plus it would be hilarious.

i think the Hawks control their own fate. any flub by dallas or calgary then the hawks are surely in. if once their playoff berth is locked up, the hawks might very well try to tank the last games. you just know they want vancouver or san jose.

I don't think it is going to happen, which makes me hate to say it but...

We have to let them win.

If we let the Hawks line up with Vancouver, they will do nothing but allow the Nucks to destroy them and give them the confidence to win the cup. I don't want the best team in the League getting stronger by beating a crippled Stanley Cup defender.

I really wish there was a rule against finishing against an opponent with so many games in short order. It ruins the idea of a first round match up with Chicago.

i think the Hawks control their own fate. any flub by dallas or calgary then the hawks are surely in. if once their playoff berth is locked up, the hawks might very well try to tank the last games. you just know they want vancouver or san jose.

Huh? The Hawks do control their own fate if they win the next 2 games but the point is that the 2nd game is on Friday against the Wings. Dallas is playing Colorado twice and Minnesota. I doubt that they are going to let any of those games slip away. As far as wrapping up their playoff berth, it's not mathematically possible until after the Friday game (unless Dallas loses on Thursday). That gives them only 1 game to "tank" and that would be at home to the Wings. No way they "tank" a home game against a team they hate.

Why would anyone WANT those teams... They are scary as hell.

And hopefully the Wings feel differently than some fans here. You play to win the game and I hope they do just that.

I thought in Detroit, we play the game to win the Cup.

That is all I care about.

I thought in Detroit, we play the game to win the Cup.

That is all I care about.

Good and again, I am glad the WINGS have a different philosophy with games than some do. A divisional, original 6 game against a team like Chicago? Yeah, show up.

I can understand teams resting some players at the end of the season but the Wings have something to play for...it's called 2nd place. These aren't meaningless games that remain. Not to mention the fact that the Wings have not built much momentum as of late (despite their last two wins - which were nice) but they want a full line up rolling on all cylinders going into the playoffs. The fact they have a chance to knock it into high gear with three games left and have a shot at knocking out the defending champs, who just happen to be a division rival in the Hawks, is a bonus. If they mail it in for these games not only is that lame but they should be ashamed. You take the chance to knock any team out when you have it.

It's time for this team to gear up and hit their stride. Take these three games to get rolling. The only way any one should be rested is if they are banged up. At the moment that should only potentially be Kronwall and Modano.

Personally I would love to see the Wings keep the Hawks out of the playoffs this season. However that is going to be a very big task. I'm not saying that the Wings can't do it I certianly know that they can but Chicago is going to be fighting for their playoff lives and depending on which Red Wings team comes to play both of those games Vs the Hawks is going to go a long way in determining if Chicago is in or out. If the Wings come out hard take the lead and can keep it than they will have a great chance if the Wings team that comes out has to battle back from deficits or something like that it's going to be questionable. I definetly want to see the Wings keep the Hawks out but it is going to be a task no doubt about it. Go Wings!!

As much as I hate Blackhawk fans, I want to see the Hawks get in the playoffs. And I hope the Wings rest some players like Lids and Z. Its not the playoffs if the defending champ doesn't defend the cup. And they are a good team to possibly knock off Vancouver or hell even San Jose.

It would be marvelous if they could put the Hawks down for good. However, I think that will fall low on management's list of priorities, compared to resting their key players for the last two games. But as long as they don't ice a complete B-team they've got enough firepower to win one or both games.

Still, being willing to lay out to block a shot, go hard into corners and to the net, etc, -- things that a team that has to win will do and things that a team that just wants to avoid injury won't -- could end up being important. But while it will definitely be impossible to match Chicago's intensity in those games, that's hardly the only determining factor in winning or losing.

Guest Heaten

Chicago has a tough game against the Blues tonight. The same Blues team that just embarrassed the Red Wings and have been on a pretty hot run lately. I have a feeling the Blues are going to be 'sending a message' tonight. Chicago will have a target on their backs. I think Troy Brouwer just got injured and Sharp is out...

Tonight isn't going to be an easy game for the Blackhawks.

That's a joke, right? Chicago didn't choose to raise their banner against us, that's just how the schedule turned out.

I may be wrong but i believe the champs do get to pick who they raise the banner against

i agree they shouldnt let up, but the wings have been playing crap for pretty much the past few weeks. i just hope they don't get slaughtered on national tv this weekend. or worse yet, get themselves injured.

The Hawks have scored 4 goals total, in their last 4 games. They have been shutout twice in that stretch. They lost Brower to a shoulder injury last night, Bolland is out with concussion, and Sharp is not quite ready to return to the lineup, but may be forced into the lineup early if needed. Things don't look all that promising for them right now.

As far as The Wings. Unless someone is injured, we have to play our starters. We're trying to get that 2nd seed, and it isn't like them to rest players when position is on the line. I also don't think that they really care who they face in the first round, as they believe that if they play for 60 minutes, that they can beat anyone.

I don't see it happening.

I'd love to see it, however. It'd be a nice feather in our cap, especially since I don't see us going far in the actual playoffs.

Not to mention, Dallas has been subpar the second half of the season. Who says they'll win any games?