Photo
- - - - -

Are the Wings going to keep the Hawks out of the playoffs?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:01 AM

It'd be pretty incredible if the entire Pacific division made it into the playoffs...

#22 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:12 AM

I agree with resting some of the Wings, and the Hawks are going to be playing desperate hockey from here on out.
IPB Image

#23 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:23 AM

Well, the Hawks fate is in the Wings' hands. If the Wings win both then surely it puts Dallas and Calgary in position to be able to take it, if they can actually win their games. Dallas plays Colorado twice, both very winnable games, then Minny. Calgary has one against Edmonton and a toughie against Vancouver.

#24 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:47 AM

it would serve them right for choosing to raise the banner against us.
that was a bold move and I hope the wings remember that.

That's a joke, right? Chicago didn't choose to raise their banner against us, that's just how the schedule turned out.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#25 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:00 AM

That's a joke, right? Chicago didn't choose to raise their banner against us, that's just how the schedule turned out.

Scheduling caused that yes, but I believe the Chris Chelios honor night was well.... i'm not sure. Possibly because he was going to be there anyways that night but jesus, I felt so bad for him with the crowd of idiots in the United Center.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#26 Blueliner

Blueliner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:15 AM

The Wings don't want to be like the Chicago Bears. The Bears played the Packers on the last game of the season this year. The Packers needed to win in order to make the playoffs. The Bears didn't play well and let the Packers in. The Packers eventually beat the Bears in the NFC Championship game and went on to win the Super Bowl. Point is, beat them now so you don't have to beat them later.

#27 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:29 AM

I've been going back & forth with a coworker in Chicago trying to figure out what I would consider sweeter, the Hawks making it in & being bounced in the first round or the Wings sweeping the back-to-back games & keeping them out of the playoffs. Gotta land on the side going for the jugular & keeping them out of the playoffs. Gotta finish them off when you have the chance.
Posted Image

#28 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,870 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:31 AM

I have mixed feelings. It would be pretty nice for them not to even make the playoffs the season after winning the Cup, especially at the Wings hands. But I also like the idea of a Vancouver-Hawks first round matchup. That way, no matter who wins, I can be happy one of those teams lost. :D

I guess I also need the Ducks to win so the Hawks don't end up in the 7th spot. Not that I don't want them to play the Wings, but it foils my plan.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 06 April 2011 - 10:32 AM.

#29 cupforwings

cupforwings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:47 AM

The Wings don't want to be like the Chicago Bears. The Bears played the Packers on the last game of the season this year. The Packers needed to win in order to make the playoffs. The Bears didn't play well and let the Packers in. The Packers eventually beat the Bears in the NFC Championship game and went on to win the Super Bowl. Point is, beat them now so you don't have to beat them later.

Yep, I think this is the best point so far... Chicago is a team that could go far in the playoffs. Better to keep them out so it doesn't come back to bite us later. Plus it would be hilarious.

#30 Grim

Grim

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:20 AM

i think the Hawks control their own fate. any flub by dallas or calgary then the hawks are surely in. if once their playoff berth is locked up, the hawks might very well try to tank the last games. you just know they want vancouver or san jose.

#31 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:30 AM

I don't think it is going to happen, which makes me hate to say it but...

We have to let them win.

If we let the Hawks line up with Vancouver, they will do nothing but allow the Nucks to destroy them and give them the confidence to win the cup. I don't want the best team in the League getting stronger by beating a crippled Stanley Cup defender.

I really wish there was a rule against finishing against an opponent with so many games in short order. It ruins the idea of a first round match up with Chicago.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#32 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:36 AM

I don't think it is going to happen, which makes me hate to say it but...

We have to let them win.

And hopefully the Wings feel differently than some fans here. You play to win the game and I hope they do just that.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#33 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:38 AM

i think the Hawks control their own fate. any flub by dallas or calgary then the hawks are surely in. if once their playoff berth is locked up, the hawks might very well try to tank the last games. you just know they want vancouver or san jose.

Huh? The Hawks do control their own fate if they win the next 2 games but the point is that the 2nd game is on Friday against the Wings. Dallas is playing Colorado twice and Minnesota. I doubt that they are going to let any of those games slip away. As far as wrapping up their playoff berth, it's not mathematically possible until after the Friday game (unless Dallas loses on Thursday). That gives them only 1 game to "tank" and that would be at home to the Wings. No way they "tank" a home game against a team they hate.
Do or do not. There is no try

#34 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:46 AM

Why would anyone WANT those teams... They are scary as hell.

And hopefully the Wings feel differently than some fans here. You play to win the game and I hope they do just that.

I thought in Detroit, we play the game to win the Cup.

That is all I care about.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#35 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:49 AM

I thought in Detroit, we play the game to win the Cup.

That is all I care about.

Good and again, I am glad the WINGS have a different philosophy with games than some do. A divisional, original 6 game against a team like Chicago? Yeah, show up.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#36 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:19 PM

I think we let the Hawks in and we end up playing them and they beat us. They have had our number the last 2 years. Of all the teams I don't wanna play against it's Chicago then San Jose....

#37 redwingmachine

redwingmachine

3rd Line Checker

• Gold Booster
  • 379 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:36 PM

Either we beat them twice now or we grind it out for 7 with them later. I would love nothing more than the Wings being responsible for the hawks not getting to the playoffs.

#38 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:01 PM

I can understand teams resting some players at the end of the season but the Wings have something to play for...it's called 2nd place. These aren't meaningless games that remain. Not to mention the fact that the Wings have not built much momentum as of late (despite their last two wins - which were nice) but they want a full line up rolling on all cylinders going into the playoffs. The fact they have a chance to knock it into high gear with three games left and have a shot at knocking out the defending champs, who just happen to be a division rival in the Hawks, is a bonus. If they mail it in for these games not only is that lame but they should be ashamed. You take the chance to knock any team out when you have it.

It's time for this team to gear up and hit their stride. Take these three games to get rolling. The only way any one should be rested is if they are banged up. At the moment that should only potentially be Kronwall and Modano.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#39 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:32 PM

Personally I would love to see the Wings keep the Hawks out of the playoffs this season. However that is going to be a very big task. I'm not saying that the Wings can't do it I certianly know that they can but Chicago is going to be fighting for their playoff lives and depending on which Red Wings team comes to play both of those games Vs the Hawks is going to go a long way in determining if Chicago is in or out. If the Wings come out hard take the lead and can keep it than they will have a great chance if the Wings team that comes out has to battle back from deficits or something like that it's going to be questionable. I definetly want to see the Wings keep the Hawks out but it is going to be a task no doubt about it. Go Wings!!

#40 Jericho613

Jericho613

Give Nothing, Take Everything

• PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 02:56 PM

As much as I hate Blackhawk fans, I want to see the Hawks get in the playoffs. And I hope the Wings rest some players like Lids and Z. Its not the playoffs if the defending champ doesn't defend the cup. And they are a good team to possibly knock off Vancouver or hell even San Jose.