• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jasper84

Turco making bets during game

Rate this topic

That's hysterical that Turco did that and also a little dumb knowing the trouble he can get in with the league.

*Given that it was all in harmless fun,* I think its great.

He will get in trouble too. Does it really matter? His career is almost over.

Guest CaliWingsNut

I hope the NHL doesn't do anything other than tell him no (or do nothing at all).

Any action beyond that on a 25$ max bet during a game w/ a random fan is ridiculous.

I doubt he actually bet the guy. I would guess the guy wrote that on the $5 bill and Turco wrote the his name on it, and then passed it back. Everything else is probably embellished. Especially the "wad of fives." Where exactly does a goalie keep a wad of five dollar bills during a game?

But him taking the bill and crossing out Habs and writing his name is still pretty funny.

The Dreger Report (Wednesday, April 06, 2011 2:54 PM):

2) The National Hockey League frowns on any type of league-related gambling and has rules designed to forbid such behavior, so it's possible Chicago goaltender Marty Turco could face discipline for allegedly betting on the game with a fan last night in Montreal.

Turco, known for his pranks, his commitment to a number of charities and openness to engage with fans, admits he was having some fun with a fan last night during the Hawks' 2-1 overtime loss to the Canadiens and acknowledges there was a $5 wager. However, Turco says he gave the fan his money back after taking the original $5 and says he added a retort on the fan's original note, which can be seen here via Montreal's Team 990 and Puck Daddy.

Turco tells The Dreger Report that allegations there may have been more money involved in the bet are completely false.

Sources say the league views the exchange with the fan as inappropriate, but recognizes the spirit of interaction, so it's unlikely Turco will receive anything more than a phone call from the NHL.

It was good, clean fun and in character of a veteran player who always makes time for fans and is considered a great ambassador for the sport.

Turco's antics were also captured on video earlier this season in a game against the St. Louis Blues when he discreetly opened a door on the Blackhawks bench while Blues defenceman Roman Polak was leaning on it - causing Polak, who laughed about the gag, to fall back into the Hawks bench.

The reason last night's incident is worth a follow up is based on the NHL's sensitivity to gambling or team personnel providing anything of value outside of the standard players' contract as outlined in the CBA.

In January, the Toronto Maple Leafs were fined an undisclosed amount (no more than $25,000) after Ron Wilson offered a monetary reward for the game winning goal prior to the Leafs game versus Wilson's old team, the San Jose Sharks.

From the article:

If there was ever a "lighten up" provision in those regulations, now would be the time to use it.

This. Hopefully nothing comes of this. I personally think its hilarious, and great fan interaction.

Gambling is against the rules. Period. If a fiver is ok, how about 10? 20? 50? 100? 1000? 3,127.46? Even if it is Canadian money, it's still currency.

The fine should be the same as the wager. He should be fined 5 Canadian dollars upon which he must write "Turco rules". Upon collection of the bill, Colon Campbell shall cross out "Turco" and write "Campbell". The bill shall be passed through the glass to a random Habs fan.

In the meantime, Turco must have an evaluation for compulsive gambling, and must refrain from any gambling of any sort. I hear he's giving 10 to 1 odds that he never bets again, and will go double or nothing during the playoffs.

Gambling is against the rules. Period. If a fiver is ok, how about 10? 20? 50? 100? 1000? 3,127.46? Even if it is Canadian money, it's still currency.

The fine should be the same as the wager. He should be fined 5 Canadian dollars upon which he must write "Turco rules". Upon collection of the bill, Colon Campbell shall cross out "Turco" and write "Campbell". The bill shall be passed through the glass to a random Habs fan.

In the meantime, Turco must have an evaluation for compulsive gambling, and must refrain from any gambling of any sort. I hear he's giving 10 to 1 odds that he never bets again, and will go double or nothing during the playoffs.

Hey our dollar is doing really good right now :P