• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Majsheppard

Unbelievably bad goal.

Rate this topic

Worst call in the history of the NHL

Absolute disgrace to have this counted after video review in Toronto, obviously kicked in and quite obvious it never crossed the line. Honestly, it's a conspiracy, what else can you say.

Horrible, horrible call.

Please stop posting.

Good post.

It was a questionable call, no doubt. And we may have gotten a break, but you people with your conspiracy theories are hilarious. It was one goal that made it 2-1. It wasnt the goal to win it, it was still 3-3 in overtime, but you think the refs GAVE us this game, and did this so we make the playoffs? What a joke.

The call on the ice was a goal, and there was not one replay that showed conclusivly that the puck didnt go in the net, so they couldnt overturn it. I did think they were going to disallow it because of the kicking motion, but maybe they seen somthing I didnt IE someone else hitting it, it was hard to tell.

This is the replay that I saw. As a ref, just seeing that video means that Toronto should have reversed the call. Is it possible that Legace knocked the puck in the net when he reached back for it? Yup. If thats the case, then it is a good goal. I can understand it had to be irrefutable proof. So I can understand how that is a good goal. The Wings have benefited from gifts like this in the past. It would be different if the Wings NEVER got a gift like this. I say quit whining about it. Its hockey people. Sometimes, teams or players do get breaks.

"Chicago's Marian Hossa appeared to kick the puck toward the net, and a replay didn't show conclusive evidence that the puck crossed the goal line. Nonetheless, after a lengthy review, the NHL's war room ruled that Hossa hit the puck with his stick after kicking it. No explanation was given about the puck going in."

So league chose to say Hossa's stick touched it, even though it would have caused it to change direction, even if a little bit. It didn't move it didn't fully cross the line. We'll never know unless we can get different angles. Some will cry conspiracy, I'll stick with my opinion. The league is just that bad at this stuff.

At 10 seconds in the video, Hossa's stick slightly redirects the puck. At 38 seconds, it's a goal.

Proof that his stick hit the puck? The blue of the crease is visible between the puck and the post; this suggests that the puck was headed away from the net on the bounce, which is likely given the angle Hossa was coming at the goal from.

Sorry, but thats incorrect. You levy a lot of criticism, but as normal, you are talking out of your ass. Please bring this to IM if you want to discuss it further. Lets get this thread back on topic.

In one of the worst calls anyone has ever seen, benefitting a division rival, you come in and spend a lot of time and energy arguing... For what exactly? It's your MO.

Wings get blown out? You can always count on Nightfall to appear out of the blue to belittle and argue with Wings fans who are upset and understandably guilty of hyperbole. Maybe I am the only one, but it is annoying and takes away from the site.

At 10 seconds in the video, Hossa's stick slightly redirects the puck. At 38 seconds, it's a goal.

Proof that his stick hit the puck? The blue of the crease is visible between the puck and the post; this suggests that the puck was headed away from the net on the bounce, which is likely given the angle Hossa was coming at the goal from.

This I can also agree with as a possibility.

Be careful man, people will say you are trolling because you have a different opinion than the majority.

In one of the worst calls anyone has ever seen, benefitting a division rival, you come in and spend a lot of time and energy arguing... For what exactly? It's your MO.

Wings get blown out? You can always count on Nightfall to appear out of the blue to belittle and argue with Wings fans who are upset and understandably guilty of hyperbole. Maybe I am the only one, but it is annoying and takes away from the site.

Thanks for that total exaggeration of the facts. Its obvious you don't want to bring this to IM for some reason. Maybe your epeen needs a little growth or something. Just let it go man. People are going to have different opinions than you have. Belittling them is childish. Debate it. As a ref, I thoroughly enjoy this discussion because I am involved in this aspect of the game. Can't handle it? Then don't come in and whine about it.

ref.jpg

After seeing this I'm even more surprised that this was ruled a goal on the ice. How is that ref anywhere near a good position to say that puck was in?

Very true. I thought he was closer than that. Would be nice to know at what point in the play this picture was taken.

I am not saying it is a good goal. I can't see it, and I wasn't on the ice to see what the ref saw. I am just saying I understand the call just based on a number of factors. Doesn't mean I agree with it.

Who the f*$k cares what the ref saw? Toronto reviewed it. The point of review is to get the call right. I never see white between the puck and the line, I see him kick the puck. There are two reasons it shouldn't be a goal. To make the claim that a human being can see through all the players at a split second and get it right 100% of the time is absurd. That is why we have replay. Yet they always refuse to use it correctly. Toronto got it wrong. I want them to tell every single Dallas ticket holder that they are positive they should miss the playoffs because of what a human says, when the footage is clear as day.

The conspiracy stuff is silly, unless Chicago benefited from a huge no call from last year that lead to instead of being down 3-2 they ended up being ahead 3-2. Oh wait they did, so you have to wonder why Chicago gets there seasons extended twice now. (not to speak of a few other choice calls) They lose that game they lose the series and don't win a cup. Here is Hossa again getting a s***ty push from refs not doing their job, and the league not using the phone to get the call right. Hossa shouldn't have been in that game a year ago, and he shouldn't have gotten that goal.

Momentum swung both times severely, people have to know that these momentum swings are deadly, so you have to get the calls right. This is why I don't think the Wings are going to win. Homer's reputation will take momentum away from us. Conspiracy? maybe. bulls***? Definitely.

The league always seems to be making bad calls for big market teams... just saying.

Who the f*$k cares what the ref saw? Toronto reviewed it. The point of review is to get the call right. I never see white between the puck and the line, I see him kick the puck. There are two reasons it shouldn't be a goal. To make the claim that a human being can see through all the players at a split second and get it right 100% of the time is absurd. That is why we have replay. Yet they always refuse to use it correctly. Toronto got it wrong. I want them to tell every single Dallas ticket holder that they are positive they should miss the playoffs because of what a human says, when the footage is clear as day.

The conspiracy stuff is silly, unless Chicago benefited from a huge no call from last year that lead to instead of being down 3-2 they ended up being ahead 3-2. Oh wait they did, so you have to wonder why Chicago gets there seasons extended twice now. (not to speak of a few other choice calls) They lose that game they lose the series and don't win a cup. Here is Hossa again getting a s***ty push from refs not doing their job, and the league not using the phone to get the call right. Hossa shouldn't have been in that game a year ago, and he shouldn't have gotten that goal.

Momentum swung both times severely, people have to know that these momentum swings are deadly, so you have to get the calls right. This is why I don't think the Wings are going to win. Homer's reputation will take momentum away from us. Conspiracy? maybe. bulls***? Definitely.

The league always seems to be making bad calls for big market teams... just saying.

Read Eva's analysis above. I am thinking that is what happened. Not what I believed to happen.

Please stop posting.

Well, Hossa said it wasn't a goal. Oh and why couldn't the puck curl into the goal?

After that magic puck a few nights back, anything can happen.

I don't think he touched it because it is an inch from being in, and you can't hit a puck that light to cause side ways movement at such a slow pace forward. Even the worse fan causes the puck to move forward more. I would believe the wind from his stick flying by would move it forward more than I'd believe his stick hit that. Does that even matter?

The puck never went in the net on top of that. Never. If you can see blue between the puck and the goal line, why can't you see any white between the puck and the goal line? I might have something to do with it never crossing the goal line all the way.

The reason everyone is outraged is because there are two great reasons because of review not to allow that as a goal. There would be a few more if we didn't have review. Yet for all of that, you are going to change the entire course of the playoffs to get this wrong? Get it right or pay the price.

Read Eva's analysis above. I am thinking that is what happened. Not what I believed to happen.

So, why is it okay to have inconclusive evidence to support a different hypothesis for the same end? That is to say, if they call it in why is it okay for them to look and figure, he MIGHT have hit that with his stick... Oh and lets forget the fact that it never went in. There were two reasons to say that wasn't a goal, and the only reason to suggest it was conclusively was the fact that some human thinks he saw it through 8 players and flashing bulbs?

How can you not be pissed off? If this happened and cost the Wings to miss the playoffs, I would kill someone. Maybe that is why they call it the War room.

All in all, Conklin says it best.

"It was a close play, but the puck never crossed the line," Conklin continued. "I was sitting there watching it. I knew it wasn't over, and then everybody in here had the benefit of watching replay. They're saying it wasn't in. The guys commentating on the game said it wasn't in.

"We know what their situation is. I don't think we're trying to knock them out any more than somebody else would. We just tried to come in here and play good hockey."

The thing that makes me the most upset is that it wasn't good hockey. It was bulls*** hockey. That is how Chicago won against Nashville, and it upset me. It is how they won that game against the blues, and it seems to be more and more common in the NHL. I want some good hockey, not this bulls***. Give me the good old hockey game. Especially if these cameras can't do a damn bit of good.

"It was a close play, but the puck never crossed the line," Conklin continued. "I was sitting there watching it. I knew it wasn't over, and then everybody in here had the benefit of watching replay. They're saying it wasn't in. The guys commentating on the game said it wasn't in.

"We know what their situation is. I don't think we're trying to knock them out any more than somebody else would. We just tried to come in here and play good hockey."

/end thread... Right?

Is it any wonder why the NHL isn't considered a top sport? Bad refs, and now bad replay officials. If it were up to me I would allow replay to the refs skating on the ice in the arena to make the judgment. That way they can see their own faults rather than letting some person however many miles away do it.

Ah the good ol' hockey game, is the best game you can play! ... ugh. :ranting:<_<:zzz:

Is it any wonder why the NHL isn't considered a top sport? Bad refs, and now bad replay officials. If it were up to me I would allow replay to the refs skating on the ice in the arena to make the judgment. That way they can see their own faults rather than letting some person however many miles away do it.

Ah the good ol' hockey game, is the best game you can play! ... ugh. :ranting:<_<:zzz:

Certainly can't name it huh? Christ....

LMFAO

1. Puck was dragged towards net with foot

2. Never crossed the line

Only thing I could think of there is an angle that wasnt in that youtube video, and that the rule say its allowed to be kicked in off the post which i doubt it does.

FAIL

My point exactly. The Wings benefit from a call similar to this, and its ok. The Hawks benefit, and its CONSPIRACY THEORY time! Lame.....

Calls like this can go for you or against you. They go for you, and all is right in the world. Against you? It has to be crap reffing or a conspiracy.

i agree that it's not a conspiracy (it can't be, right? :unsure:) but, my point was that in order for the war room to say it's a good goal (because hossa either didn't "kick" the puck in, or that he touched it with his stick after the kick) the puck itself should be in the net.

so, forget about whether or not he kicked the puck (which he obviously did), or whether or not he touched it after the kick (of which there is no clear proof), show me evidence that the puck completely crossed the goal line. shouldn't that be the first thing they look at? to see if the puck actually went into the net.

but i do agree that some people here probably hate this call 10X as much as they normally would just because it was a 'hawks goal.

So, I think that we are all in agreement that the puck was kicked?? OK.

So that kicked puck when it hits the inside edge of the post would put what type of spin on it? Any curlers or pool players here? Even bowlers would understand when a ball starts to bite. The puck would naturally generate a spin that would spin towards the net. Possibly right about the spot where Eva says Hossa's stick touched it. Also, it's almost 8 minutes into the period, how flat and even is a goal crease at that point of game? The puck could be going in any direction at that point. Goalies sure do a great job of roughing the surface in there, don't they.

So, the puck travels across the goal line to the goal post where we can see that it is still visibly on the line. At this point Conklin reaches his glove back and pulls it forward off of the goal line. And from comparing the videos to the still photo presented, we are to assume that O'Halloran saw the puck behind the goal line from approximately 12 feet away, while being slightly above the goal line, and apparently being able to see through a 2" thick steel goal post, and the solid web part of the net that is in that spot right next to the goal post on every net I've ever seen used in the NHL.

Sounds like someone was a little too anxious to call a goal. I don't see how, from his position, that he could be so emphatic that that was a goal. Maybe Oscar Goldman had a bionic eye put in him too, as well as Steve Austin!!!

I feel that the best thing to do in the future, would be to not make any calls on the ice and go to video review on any close or questionable calls. Toronto has a problem with overturning on ice calls, as we have witnessed on several occasions. So maybe they should have the refs not make a call and take it to review. The ref can state his point to Toronto, They can look at the play and see if they see what the ref thought he saw. And then make a ruling based on several eyes looking at the play in question, make a call, without, making the on ice official look bad. It may slow the game down, it may change the tempo, but making the right call in the first place should be the leagues top priority. Without that, it just continues to look like the bush league that it has become. And it's only getting worse.

The "We can't disprove it didn't cross the line" comment is a LIE. It's more CYA for an on-ice official's blown call.

Anyone with working eye sockets could plainly see it never crossed the line. That shouldn't be hard to overturn IF you're not playing CYA.