• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MRB16

Goaltending?

Rate this topic

I saw that the GR just brought in another goaltender. Whats the work out on the streets with McCollum? When he was drafted he was the #1 ranked goalie in the US. I don't get to catch many games but noticed he was back and forth with toledo. He also got a brief taste with the wings last week but the team didnt show up. I believe that he has one more year under contract. I guess Im looking for some inside info / opinions on what peoples thoughts are with regards to such a high picked prospect.

I have season tickets to the Griffins this year and been to about 30 games as well as the last 2 years prior to this one. Here is my honest opinion on the Griffins this year as a fan of the team.

The team has been very inconsistent this year. I don't blame individuals. Some nights they play lights out, and others they played poorly and stunk up the place. McCollum is young and hasn't really had a solid team to play with yet. Unlike Howard who made the AHL playoffs and actually had a good team to play with. People think that McCollum getting sent down is a sign that he is bad. That isn't the case here. Some nights the goalie would play well but the team would lose 4-1 because they didn't give him help. Others would be 6-4 nights were the offense was good, but the defense would leave the goalie out to dry. Then you have the horrible nights where the goalie couldn't stop anything and they lose.

IMHO, the Griffins really have to come out and play hard every night. Will a new coach shake them up? I really think so. Do they just not have chemistry? That could be true as well. Could also be team leadership. Just something needs to change. Last season and this season both, I got tired of watching .500 hockey from an inconsistent team.

Edited by Nightfall

I saw that the GR just brought in another goaltender. Whats the work out on the streets with McCollum? When he was drafted he was the #1 ranked goalie in the US. I don't get to catch many games but noticed he was back and forth with toledo. He also got a brief taste with the wings last week but the team didnt show up. I believe that he has one more year under contract. I guess Im looking for some inside info / opinions on what peoples thoughts are with regards to such a high picked prospect.

The goalie brought in is Petr Mrazek, correct?

He is just on a tryout basis, no affect on GR this year, or next.

McCollum looks like crap though, unconfident, streaky, bad.

I have season tickets to the Griffins this year and been to about 30 games as well as the last 2 years prior to this one. Here is my honest opinion on the Griffins this year as a fan of the team.

The team has been very inconsistent this year. I don't blame individuals. Some nights they play lights out, and others they played poorly and stunk up the place. McCollum is young and hasn't really had a solid team to play with yet. Unlike Howard who made the AHL playoffs and actually had a good team to play with. People think that McCollum getting sent down is a sign that he is bad. That isn't the case here. Some nights the goalie would play well but the team would lose 4-1 because they didn't give him help. Others would be 6-4 nights were the offense was good, but the defense would leave the goalie out to dry. Then you have the horrible nights where the goalie couldn't stop anything and they lose.

IMHO, the Griffins really have to come out and play hard every night. Will a new coach shake them up? I really think so. Do they just not have chemistry? That could be true as well. Could also be team leadership. Just something needs to change. Last season and this season both, I got tired of watching .500 hockey from an inconsistent team.

Agreed. Throughout December - January they looked like they could beat anyone on any night, but every other month of the season they've looked uninspired and rather weak. I wasn't too receptive to the idea of replacing Curt Fraser early in the season, but now you have to think that they'd respond to a change. The team has too much talent to be floundering the way they have.

The goalie brought in is Petr Mrazek, correct?

He is just on a tryout basis, no affect on GR this year, or next.

McCollum looks like crap though, unconfident, streaky, bad.

In my experiences watching McCollum I sometimes find myself wondering if he really has the drive or passion to make it. It seems to wane.

In my experiences watching McCollum I sometimes find myself wondering if he really has the drive or passion to make it. It seems to wane.

He is too young for a decision one way or another. When Howard was doing really poorly, he had two years of age on this kid. He turned it around.

Thanks for the responses fellas. I was kinda thinking the same thing. He is just 21 so the jump from OHL to AHL and NHL has to be a huge step. I had the pleasure for watching a few games of his in the OHL and his size, quickness and puck handling is very good. Have they ever gave him a long strech of games? He is used to be the starter so perhaps sitting the bench as a fiirst round pick is frustrating. All I know is I hope they really give this kid a shot because im sure another team would pick him up in a heart beat. Then watch him be a stud with someone else.

McCollum hasn't been given a stretch of games yet. Just 1-3 in a row. Pearce was given the reigns of the Griffins, but only because Macdonald is up with the Wings. As I said before, the Griffins farm team as a whole needs a shake up. This team has not played to their potential for two straight seasons. You can have the best goalie in the league and if your team is not playing consistent hockey, you are going to lose more than you win. I believe that McCollum needs more time in the minors, but I also believe that the Griffins need a new coach. Someone who is going to step in there and kick them in the ass.

Every Friday night, its $1 beers and hot dogs at the game. I always joke that its $1 keg night in the griffins locker room because of the way they play. Hell, they only won 4 games on Friday nights at home this season. They won more on Wednesday night for crying out loud.

I really hope the Griffins turn it around next season.