#1 commadore183

commadore183

Versus televised America's last nuclear bomb test

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:03 PM

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=558613

Video of the hit:

Mike Illich does not care about Detroit. Boycott 2013 Winter Cla$$ic.
Skilled hockey is, and will forever be, winning hockey. Deal with it.
"A perfect vision, some simple ways to let you know
Free range humans all couped up naked clone is playing lame" Avon by Queens of the Stone Age

#2 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:07 PM

I can see that.

This one may not have been terribly dirty but he owes the NHL for his previous cheap shots on Williams and Helm.

Posted Image

#3 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:17 PM

Definitely a hit to the head, but I didn't think it was dirty by any means. I hate all these head hits that are happening when guys are stretching out to get a puck or leaning over in some fashion and contact to the head is unfortunately made. Keep yer head up boy.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#4 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:19 PM

I can see that.

This one may not have been terribly dirty but he owes the NHL for his previous cheap shots on Williams and Helm.

I've never thought that the hit on Williams was illegal.

Definitely a hit to the head, but I didn't think it was dirty by any means. I hate all these head hits that are happening when guys are stretching out to get a puck or leaning over in some fashion and contact to the head is unfortunately made. Keep yer head up boy.

Blindside hit. Suspendable.

#5 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:20 PM

I would give it zero games (very similar to Bertuzzi's recent hit)... Wouldn't gripe much over 1 or 2.
2 + 2 playoff games is ridiculous.

Edited by egroen, 07 April 2011 - 03:21 PM.

Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#6 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:22 PM

I've never thought that the hit on Williams was illegal.

Perhaps not, but he is still a douchebag for taking the run anyway. He took a charge and picked him out way before Williams passed the net.

It also doesn't help that I cannot stand the guy in general.

Posted Image

#7 Blueliner

Blueliner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:30 PM

It was Torres. Therefore, it was intentional.

#8 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:45 PM

Blindside hit. Suspendable.

Just b/c it's blindside doesn't make is suspendable. Blindside hits where the principle point of contact is the head are suspendable. This hit falls under that category so there isn't much argument. I just don't agree with how aggressive they started nailing people for stuff that was unintentional. I don't care for Torres, or the Canucks, so I could really care less, but it's the integrity of the game that is at stake.

It's like Bert's hit. Luckily he didn't get suspended, but I don't see how the NHL got that right. In that instance, Tuzzi could have laid him out but slowed down and turned to lessen the impact. It was Johnson who made a weird move to avoid the check and put himself in a bad position to take a hit and ended putting his head in the open. On a lesser note, even the Abdelkader hit a few games back was a BS call.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#9 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:51 PM

See now clean hits get suspensions, what did I tell everyone? They should just ban hitting now rather than making a mockery of hitting
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#10 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:57 PM

so is it ok to use your elbow as long as it is tucked? It looked legit to me but Hossa's goal looked like it was no good, so my view of the legalities in the NHL and the front offices are vastly different
There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#11 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,901 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:05 PM

See now clean hits get suspensions, what did I tell everyone? They should just ban hitting now rather than making a mockery of hitting

Right. Because running around braining guys is just good clean hockey.

It's funny how most of these suspendible hits keep happening to guys with a history of dirty play. Coincidence I guess.

Cracking down on these hits shouldn't take it out of the game. What it hopefully will do is that players will make sure they can actually contact the body when they throw a check. When you come flying in on an angle perpendicular to the guy you're trying to hit, there's a really good chance you're going to miss his body and just clip a head. Especially if you throw a shoulder or elbow. Hitting is playing the body. Not the head.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 07 April 2011 - 05:09 PM.

#12 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:32 PM

It's a dirty hit.. can't feel bad even though I don't like these new rules. Don't agree with the length, but then again I think a penalty alone would have been justifiable.

Edited by Shoreline, 07 April 2011 - 05:34 PM.

#13 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:46 PM

4 games is too much.

#NOMOREKINDL

#14 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:54 PM

that was pretty nasty. i know the game is fast, but if you're in a position where you can't take the body then at least let up a little.

raffi being raffi i guess.
Posted Image

#15 HOCKEY MATTERS

HOCKEY MATTERS

Nearly invisible now........you smell that?

• HoF Booster
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:31 PM

Who are he Canucks playing in he firs round? The #8 seed? If the refs hand 2 games to.......

Torres is a moosefart, and karma is a *****.

Edited by HOCKEY MATTERS, 07 April 2011 - 06:32 PM.

half the world is nuts...and the other half is crazy
"You can't chew yesterdays' breakfast." Jim Leyland
Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing.

Alternative to Google tracking you.... http://duckduckgo.com/

#16 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:36 PM

Right. Because running around braining guys is just good clean hockey.

It's funny how most of these suspendible hits keep happening to guys with a history of dirty play. Coincidence I guess.

Cracking down on these hits shouldn't take it out of the game. What it hopefully will do is that players will make sure they can actually contact the body when they throw a check. When you come flying in on an angle perpendicular to the guy you're trying to hit, there's a really good chance you're going to miss his body and just clip a head. Especially if you throw a shoulder or elbow. Hitting is playing the body. Not the head.

It was a clean hit, i hate torres as everyone else, but there was nothing wrong with it, plays like that though brutal are part of the sport
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#17 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:32 PM

Torres is a moosefart, and karma is a *****.

:clap:
Posted Image

#18 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,451 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:36 PM

It was a clean hit, i hate torres as everyone else, but there was nothing wrong with it, plays like that though brutal are part of the sport

I'm sorry, but there was absolutely nothing clean about that hit. The worse part about it for me was that it wasn't one of those unfortunate head contact that can happen because everything happens so fast. In this situation, Torres appeared to have so much time to be able line up the hit properly.

#19 seeinred

seeinred

Teemu!

• HoF Booster
  • 7,812 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 11:59 PM

I totally understand the rule and the suspensions. I even like most of them. But I really don't see how that's worth 4 games. It looked to me like he got Eberle's shoulder/arm first.

Posted Image

Crosby's Bettman Real Doll is going to get quite a workout tonight.

#20 BigWillieStyle

BigWillieStyle

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:08 AM

I would have been in agreement with 2 games. I have a feeling they just tacked on the other 2 for two reasons.

1) Torres' reputation as a cheapshotting *****.

2) To set a tone for the playoffs that the headshot rules still apply during the playoffs, and depending on who you are, or whom you play for, you may get suspended if you choose to go headhunting.