• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

4/8 GDT: Blackhawks 4 at Red Wings 2

Rate this topic

I think Anaheim has the tie breaker over everyone. Were so f***ed if we get the Hawks.

Without Zetterberg, we're totally outmanned against Chicago when it comes to star players. They have too much firepower that we don't seem able to match right now.

I don't expect Babcock to care enough about this to play Datsyuk and Lidstrom on Sunday. Then again, they both played tonight, and we still sucked.

Edited by GMRwings1983

I think we've already mailed it in for Sunday.

I expect Phoenix to lose to the Sharks. However, I think you forgot about Anaheim. Aren't they currently above Chicago in tiebreakers?

anaheim currently is, but they play LA tmr, and assuming the Hawks beat the wings on sunday, they will overtake either Anaheim or LA (only 1 of them). regardless of the result of Anaheim-LA, chicago will move up one spot if they beat us.

that leaves Phoenix and nashville. if they both lose in regulation, chicago moves past both of them. so chicago moves an additional 2 spots up to 5th. however, if only one of phoenix or nashville loses in regulation, chicago will move up only 1 additional spot, up to 6th. if both Phoenix and nashville get 1 point, chicago finishes 7th.

i agree with you that Phoenix probably loses to SJ. nashville is on a roll so they should beat St Louis. that will mean we face Chicago in round 1.

its late here so i may have made a mistake, but that's how i think it breaks down after all of tonight's results, and updating the standings.

Edited by jeff48109

Not worried at all they sleepwalked through this game cmon lgw.... they are 18-13 in April in the regular season since 2002. Their best April came in 2006 under Babcock where the Wings were outed in the first round by Edmonton. Their worst April came in 2002 where they won the Stanley Cup!!! Point is this does not matter all that matters to the Wings franchise starts on Wednesday night.

Phoenix beat San Jose in regulation and they both play each other again tomorrow (or, actually, later tonight). So we'll know if we can get second or not before Sunday's game.

Dallas plays later in the day on Sunday against a non-playoff team in Minnesota. You would have to think that if Chicago loses to us in regulation, there's no way Dallas loses their game considering it would guarantee them a playoff spot.

Then again, we all know the Wings probably won't show up on Sunday while Chicago will obviously be desperate. Still, it'd be nice to embarrass the 'hawks out of the playoffs. <_<

Mark my words, Detroit will win their last game against Chicago! Tonight's loss went farther than the Wings are happy with but they let up to keep Chicago in 8th place so the Hawks would face the Canucks in round #1.

Mark my words, Detroit will win their last game against Chicago! Tonight's loss went farther than the Wings are happy with but they let up to keep Chicago in 8th place so the Hawks would face the Canucks in round #1.

Well if that's the case, you guys better destroy them :cool:

I guess what pisses me off the most is that most of these players are getting millions of dollars to put on a show and they are hosing the fans who spend their hard earned money to see them. For crying out loud, play to win all the time. I wonder how they'd feel if the fans didn't care and there was a half-assed full arena since they are playing half-assed. :angry:

Well if that's the case, you guys better destroy them :cool:

I guess what pisses me off the most is that most of these players are getting millions of dollars to put on a show and they are hosing the fans who spend their hard earned money to see them. For crying out loud, play to win all the time. I wonder how they'd feel if the fans didn't care and there was a half-assed full arena since they are playing half-assed. :angry:

I stood by a dad and his 12 year old son at the glass during warm-ups last weekend in Nashville. It was pretty clear they were not wealthy, and they told me that it was the boy's first game in person, his birthday. He was star-struck and almost mute, staring at his heroes.

I thought of them last night, and remembered watching the Wings go down three goals in Nashville -- but then rallying and playing like champions, winning the game in OT. Not that it should have gotten that far, but they came back and played like they know how.

I am disappointed in them not playing with any intent to win in front of their last home crowd this season. The Wings admitted to the press that their heads were not in the game last night. That ought to make them feel shame.

Hope last night was just mailing it in since I know they can play better... but I agree with H-Mom. It's not right to not show up every game. If I turned in a performance like that at my job, I would be on the street.

Of course, I don't have a million dollar contract which says I don't have to perform to expectations, either. Sunday's game is on NBC. It's in the arena of the defending champs who made the Wings look like chumps in their last home game in front of their fans. No one wants the Wings to win, so I expect a loss there, if they don't show up with their heads on straight.

This team can take any contender in round one. If they want to...

Edited by puckloo39

"Turning point."

"Flip the switch."

"Sure, they'll be fine."

"Meaningless game."

All bulls***. Despite what some of you may think, I hate having been right about this team for the past 3 months. :angry:

If we suddenly see a different Red Wings team in the playoffs, of course, I'll eat my hat. But frankly, I think they'll be out on the links in a little over a week.

There is no way in hell the refs will let us knock Chicago out of the playoffs. I'm telling you.

I predict we have at least 1 goal called back and Chicago has 3 more pwer plays than us.

This has been my greatest fear. I posted a lot about playing Chicago back in the playoff predictions thread.

I would rather see Chicago take on those 2 big boys in 1st and 2nd but no, our luck is we are dumb and make things as hard as possible on ourselves. We are the one team Chicago has to prove something against.

I stood by a dad and his 12 year old son at the glass during warm-ups last weekend in Nashville. It was pretty clear they were not wealthy, and they told me that it was the boy's first game in person, his birthday. He was star-struck and almost mute, staring at his heroes.

I thought of them last night, and remembered watching the Wings go down three goals in Nashville -- but then rallying and playing like champions, winning the game in OT. Not that it should have gotten that far, but they came back and played like they know how.

I am disappointed in them not playing with any intent to win in front of their last home crowd this season. The Wings admitted to the press that their heads were not in the game last night. That ought to make them feel shame.

Hope last night was just mailing it in since I know they can play better... but I agree with H-Mom. It's not right to not show up every game. If I turned in a performance like that at my job, I would be on the street.

Of course, I don't have a million dollar contract which says I don't have to perform to expectations, either. Sunday's game is on NBC. It's in the arena of the defending champs who made the Wings look like chumps in their last home game in front of their fans. No one wants the Wings to win, so I expect a loss there, if they don't show up with their heads on straight.

This team can take any contender in round one. If they want to...

Yeah, you know...i just don't buy it that their heads weren't in the game. I mean, that is obviously the case, but the problem is not a superficial is my point. How can you not have your head in the game for many games lately? There's something wrong here with this team. Maybe the core on this team has had too many 'big games'. Maybe they are spent. Maybe other teams have just caught up to them and are faster. I don't know. All I know is this is a relatively new problem with a Red Wings team in the last several years. There are always occasions where a team just takes a game off or can't get things together. But not like this. This is something else. I hope I"M just reading more into it, but I don't think so.

This team has played lowsy defense for many months and that means their work ethic has been lacking...FOR MONTHS. This is not a one or two game problem.

Yeah, if the wings show up and destroy a team in the first round I will change my tune, but they're going to have to show me. Because right now, I do not have faith in this team going anywhere. Early predictions were a second round exit because of the strength of the west, but now I am not sure we make it out of round 1, especially if we draw the hawks.

How many games now have the wings been literally booed off JLA Ice in the last month?

What are the chances we play the Hawks in the first round?

Everyone here seems convinced the Hawks will play Vancouver in the first round.

Maybe. But some of us only fervently hope they have to play each other because no matter who wins that matchup, they will wear each other down.

Not worried at all they sleepwalked through this game cmon lgw.... they are 18-13 in April in the regular season since 2002. Their best April came in 2006 under Babcock where the Wings were outed in the first round by Edmonton. Their worst April came in 2002 where they won the Stanley Cup!!! Point is this does not matter all that matters to the Wings franchise starts on Wednesday night.

Thats a great stat, but I'm not concerned about their play in April as am about their play from December to April. This isn't us coasting into the playoffs, this is how we've played for 3/4 of the season.

Yeah, and in most of the previous seasons we have had a top 5 defense most of those years, including a hall of fame lineup in 2002. While I do like to compare wings teams to previous wings teams, I don't like to do that right now, because this team over a substantial period of time now have shown they can't play defense to the level they used to.

Heh..81 games later, Babcock is still tinkering with the lines (not his fault, can't do much when people are in and out of the lineup all the time). Kinda bothers me...the players haven't really been able to develop any chemistry.

Yeah, you know...i just don't buy it that their heads weren't in the game. I mean, that is obviously the case, but the problem is not a superficial is my point. How can you not have your head in the game for many games lately? There's something wrong here with this team. Maybe the core on this team has had too many 'big games'. Maybe they are spent. Maybe other teams have just caught up to them and are faster. I don't know. All I know is this is a relatively new problem with a Red Wings team in the last several years. There are always occasions where a team just takes a game off or can't get things together. But not like this. This is something else. I hope I"M just reading more into it, but I don't think so.

This team has played lousy defense for many months and that means their work ethic has been lacking...FOR MONTHS. This is not a one or two game problem.

Yeah, if the wings show up and destroy a team in the first round I will change my tune, but they're going to have to show me. Because right now, I do not have faith in this team going anywhere. Early predictions were a second round exit because of the strength of the west, but now I am not sure we make it out of round 1, especially if we draw the hawks.

How many games now have the wings been literally booed off JLA Ice in the last month?

I actually agree with everything you said. The Wings I expect have shown up maybe three times this year, including last Saturday in Nashville. I am grateful, since I was there and it was the first in-person game I've been to in 3.5 years...

But, yes. I don't disagree with anything you said. I just hate to see it in print -- and know it's probably true.

As Edi said, if a different team shows up and they rock the playoffs (as I know they could, if they just would?), I will happily eat crow.

Go, Wings! Please! :D

Edited by puckloo39

Guest Crymson

Heh..81 games later, Babcock is still tinkering with the lines (not his fault, can't do much when people are in and out of the lineup all the time). Kinda bothers me...the players haven't really been able to develop any chemistry.

Yeah, and as a result, we're sitting in an absolutely horrible position and might not make the playoffs. If we do make the playoffs, we definitely won't have home ice, as there's no way we'll win the division.

Babcock sucks.

I actually agree with everything you said. The Wings I expect have shown up maybe three times this year, including last Saturday in Nashville. I am grateful, since I was there and it was the first in-person game I've been to in 3.5 years...

But, yes. I don't disagree with anything you said. I just hate to see it in print -- and know it's probably true.

As Edi said, if a different team shows up and they rock the playoffs (as I know they could, if they just would?), I will happily eat crow.

Go, Wings! Please! :D

Wow. 3 times huh? They either must be an incredible team or your expectations are off the charts. The Wings have won 46 games this year but you are only satisfied with 3 of those wins.

Guest Crymson

Wow. 3 times huh? They either must be an incredible team or your expectations are off the charts. The Wings have won 46 games this year but you are only satisfied with 3 of those wins.

Agreed. They lost what, like four of their first 20 games?

There's a difference between fans of the Red Wings and fans of most other teams. For fans of most teams, all that matters is that the team gets a win. Many fans here, by contrast, are only satisfied if the Wings not only win, but also control the game. I think it is unreasonable.

Edited by Crymson

Agreed. They lost what, like four of their first 20 games?

There's a difference between fans of the Red Wings and fans of most other teams. For fans of most teams, all that matters is that the team gets a win. Many fans here, by contrast, are only satisfied if the Wings not only win, but also control the game. I think it is unreasonable.

So you guys honestly are not worried in the slightest? Or let me rephrase a bit more fairly: You guys are not worried any more than usual this time of year going into the playoffs?

Because, i find that very hard to believe. Look at the defensive ranking for the wings over the last 10 years. This is the worst defensively they have been in a very long time.

I will agree that sometimes fans around here go a little nuts, even when they win if they don't win by dominating, it isn't that exciting. First I think that's not really the truth but, more importantly, with winning comes expectation. The wings have been the premier NHL team for 20 years. So, naturally, there will be the highest expectations all the time. If you don't understand this, then you don't understand winning sports teams.

That being said, I'm far more worried this year than in previous years, because our team defense is the worst it's been in previous years.

Here's the Wings Team Defense ranking since 1998 season from NHL.com website.

1997-1998: 7th 2.39 won the cup

1998-1999: 10th 2.46

1999-2000: 11th 2.56

2000-2001: 8th 2.46

2001-2002: 4th 2.28 won the cup

2002-2003: 8th 2.48

2003-2004: 9th 2.30

2005-2006: 3rd 2.51

2006-2007: 2nd 2.33

2007-2008: 1st 2.18 won the cup

2008-2009: 21st 2.93

2009-2010: 7th 2.52