• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Chelios57

Osgood Coming Back Next Year

Rate this topic

I am okay with him coming back if he is treated like any other player in terms of performance and icetime and also if he's willing to play some games in GR if we are able to upgrade our goaltending position.

How about coming back this year?

I'm sure he would if he could, he tried a couple times but it's better that he is 100% than risking injury again.

As much as I'd love to see him back in net for us, I don't know that we have the money to sign him for another year when he may be doubtful with his health and if Joey works out as a good back up, as he has this year, then we simply don't have room for him. I don't think he'll go to another team though, so I'm glad that there is a possibility to see him again! :D

Guest Crymson

I see nothing in that article that indicates he'll be playing another season.

I don't know whats worse.. Jimmy haters or Ozzy haters

I would've loved to have him back for the PO but that obviously won't happen. You can definitely tell his head is in the game, sucks not having his body physically allow him to play at the moment. Thanks for bringing the good news, regardless!!

Edited by LadyInRed

Guest CaliWingsNut

Ozzy also said he's ready to go right now, while Holland would rather take a second string AHL'er in the playoffs.

Ozzie did say he's ready, but there was also mention that he's only practiced 2-3 days in a row. Holland wants to see him work hard for a longer time, probably to make sure he is in good enough shape. I can understand waiting, I would love to see Oz come in and save the day if Jimmy falters.

I'm a huge Ozzie fan but not sure about this. He's been injured through most of this season and he isn't getting any younger. I realize the Wings don't really have a strong back-up for Jimmy yet but is Ozzie coming back really the best thing for this team. I personally think the Wings need to start getting younger in the coming years/seasons. We need to start bringin up of players from the Griffins and giving them a chance at the big show. McDonald played petty good this season and he could possibly be Jimmy's back up for a season. I love Ozzie but I don't want him to turn into another Hasek and stay longer than he should this is a big reason why I would prefer to have had Steve Yzerman be the Wings GM over Holland. I know that Kenny has been great for this organization but I think the Wings need to star getting younger and bringing up more players that have been playing with the Griffins for longer than they should. Holland tends to favor the more experinced players and if you would have asked me about 6 or 7 years ago I would say the same thing but now I'm leaning towards our more youthful players. No matter what I will support my team the best way I can. Go Wings!!

Edited by Dimaline312000

I'm a huge Ozzie fan but not sure about this. He's been injured through most of this season and he isn't getting any younger. I realize the Wings don't really have a strong back-up for Jimmy yet.

Joey Mac has been one of the better backups in the league. He's also proven himself as an NHL-level goaltender with a full season as a starter on a bad team on the Isles a couple years back. The strong performance of our backups have been overshadowed by the fact that Howard has struggled yet remained the "unchallenged" starter.

but is Ozzie coming back really the best thing for this team. I personally think the Wings need to start getting younger in the coming years/seasons. We need to start bringin up of players from the Griffins and giving them a chance at the big show. McDonald played petty good this season and he could possibly be Jimmy's back up for a season. I love Ozzie but I don't want him to turn into another Hasek and stay longer than he should this is a big reason why I would prefer to have had Steve Yzerman be the Wings GM over Holland.

Yzerman has learned everything he knows about being a GM from hockey. Yzerman would keep Osgood, as Osgood is one of the better backups in the league, a very good mentor with Cup experience, and has proven himself a very strong playoff performer able to ramp his game up a large amount.

I know that Kenny has been great for this organization but I think the Wings need to star getting younger and bringing up more players that have been playing with the Griffins for longer than they should. Holland tends to favor the more experinced players and if you would have asked me about 6 or 7 years ago I would say the same thing but now I'm leaning towards our more youthful players. No matter what I will support my team the best way I can. Go Wings!!

Most of the Griffs aren't good enough to crack the Wings' current roster. Better to develop them in the minors as long as possible or necessary and then bring them up than to throw them into the fire before they're ready. A lot of very skilled players don't get necessary development time and flop because of it. Give Alexandre Daigle a year or two in the minors and he's probably an All-Star after developing the pro experience.

Joey Mac has been one of the better backups in the league. He's also proven himself as an NHL-level goaltender with a full season as a starter on a bad team on the Isles a couple years back. The strong performance of our backups have been overshadowed by the fact that Howard has struggled yet remained the "unchallenged" starter.

Yzerman has learned everything he knows about being a GM from hockey. Yzerman would keep Osgood, as Osgood is one of the better backups in the league, a very good mentor with Cup experience, and has proven himself a very strong playoff performer able to ramp his game up a large amount.

I disagree. Honestly I don't think Ozzy has ever really excelled in the backup role. He seems to be a goalie who needs to get into a groove over several games than one who will come in cold and steal you one. I'm not saying he's a terrible backup, but I wouldn't call him one of the better ones. Especially given his age and injuries this season. why not go with someone who at least has a better chance at staying healthy?

I appreciate all he's done for the Wings over the years, but I don't think he should be on the team next year.