• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Chelios57

Osgood Coming Back Next Year

Rate this topic

I disagree. Honestly I don't think Ozzy has ever really excelled in the backup role. He seems to be a goalie who needs to get into a groove over several games than one who will come in cold and steal you one. I'm not saying he's a terrible backup, but I wouldn't call him one of the better ones. Especially given his age and injuries this season. why not go with someone who at least has a better chance at staying healthy?

I appreciate all he's done for the Wings over the years, but I don't think he should be on the team next year.

IMO, the ten best goaltenders not named Osgood who started between 10-40 games this season are:

James Reimer

Devan Dubnyk

Brian Boucher

Jose Theodore

Tuukka Rask

Semyon Varlamov

Jonathan Bernier

Cory Schneider

Brent Johnson

Anders Lindback

I would argue that Osgood's performance this season compares well with that group.

IMO, the ten best goaltenders not named Osgood who started between 10-40 games this season are:

James Reimer

Devan Dubnyk

Brian Boucher

Jose Theodore

Tuukka Rask

Semyon Varlamov

Jonathan Bernier

Cory Schneider

Brent Johnson

Anders Lindback

I would argue that Osgood's performance this season compares well with that group.

explain.

Joey Mac has been one of the better backups in the league. He's also proven himself as an NHL-level goaltender with a full season as a starter on a bad team on the Isles a couple years back. The strong performance of our backups have been overshadowed by the fact that Howard has struggled yet remained the "unchallenged" starter.

Yzerman has learned everything he knows about being a GM from hockey. Yzerman would keep Osgood, as Osgood is one of the better backups in the league, a very good mentor with Cup experience, and has proven himself a very strong playoff performer able to ramp his game up a large amount.

Most of the Griffs aren't good enough to crack the Wings' current roster. Better to develop them in the minors as long as possible or necessary and then bring them up than to throw them into the fire before they're ready. A lot of very skilled players don't get necessary development time and flop because of it. Give Alexandre Daigle a year or two in the minors and he's probably an All-Star after developing the pro experience.

If MacDonald is a capable back up than I say let's give him a chance. Understand I'm not trying to dis on Ozzie at all but this organization at some point is going to have to get a little younger. Can you honestly say that you know Yzerman would keep Ozzie on if he were GM of Detroit? I know I can't say that Yzerman wouldn't keep him on and I think that is what sepereates us a fans from people who know what they are doing within the organiztion. I will support the Wings no matter what. Eventually Players like Mursak, Emmerton, and Kolosov are either going to have to come up or ship out. We aren't always going to have players like Lidd, Holmsy and Ozzie. I think the Wings do need to start planning for the future and give these young guys a shot at the NHL. They can't get the experince until they give them a chance. You can develop a player in a lower league for years and years but until they step into the higher league they are always going to be lower league players. It's tim after this season for the Wings to start looking at our youth and as much as I hate to say it the Wings may haveto re-build in a sense in another season or so depending on how long our older guys stay on. If Ozzie can come back and continue to be effective and a strong goalie than I'm all for that but he can't play forever and the Wings should start looking in the AHL for help in the coming seasons.

I have mixed feelings about this since I grew up watching Ozzie play as a child on ESPN when since we didn't get Hockey on the local channels so that is why I am a Wings Fan. But in all seriousness Ozzy in my view is one of the most under appreciated goalies of all time. He has won 3 cups and has over 400 wins but as of late he has had issues with his health and I think the shuffling of Goalies between Detroit and Grand Rapids could cause issues in the long run BUT Ozzy does come thru in the clutch.

"I'm coming back next year....replacing McCrimmon as the new defensive coach."

Probably wouldn't make much difference with the current personnel. I think the bigger issue is the long term contracts and the Owner's loyalty issues. What this team needs is a significant trade. Franzen, Filppula or Cleary on offense. My first choice on defense would be Rafalski but his 6M makes him a wing until his contract expires.

Probably wouldn't make much difference with the current personnel. I think the bigger issue is the long term contracts and the Owner's loyalty issues. What this team needs is a significant trade. Franzen, Filppula or Cleary on offense. My first choice on defense would be Rafalski but his 6M makes him a wing until his contract expires.

The trick is to make as few moves as you need to make an impact. Trading Franzen, Flip and Cleary would be utterly ridiculous. Cleary was leading the team in goals until he was injured and is renowned for his hard work. Franzen had a bad year after several years of insane awesomeness. The weak link is Flip. Every year we all talk about how it'll be his breakout year and it never happens. He's a servicecable 2nd or 3rd line center, but not a game-changer. He's good defensively and can occasionally wow with a slick move on offense, but the Wings really need to improve the second line, starting with Flip. He would also have the highest trade value, I'd think.

Again, it's not that Flip sucks, but that he's good enough to have trade value and not good enough to really matter if we traded him for another good center, or traded him for a wing and a wing for a center to replace him.

EDIT: I think if we're talking ruthless big-name trades for the Wings, it'd be Kronwall and Filppula to strengthen defense and offense. They are the only real movable parts of significant roles.

Edited by VM1138

James Reimer

Devan Dubnyk

Brian Boucher

Jose Theodore

Tuukka Rask

Semyon Varlamov

Jonathan Bernier

Cory Schneider

Brent Johnson

Anders Lindback

Not trying to put words into your mouth but are you implying we are just as well off with a Howard/Osgood tandem as a Howard/Rask, Howard/Reimer, Howard/Dubnyk ? Because I feel that's crazy, I love Ozzy but with all the talent coming up in the league we should really be looking onward...I love you Oz but when its time its time...

Not trying to put words into your mouth but are you implying we are just as well off with a Howard/Osgood tandem as a Howard/Rask, Howard/Reimer, Howard/Dubnyk ? Because I feel that's crazy, I love Ozzy but with all the talent coming up in the league we should really be looking onward...I love you Oz but when its time its time...

I didn't say Ozzie's future is as bright, given that next year and possibly the year after is it for him. But a healthy Osgood, based on this season, is at least as good as anyone I brought up. Had he remained healthy he could very well have taken the starter role back from Howard.

I love Oz, but I don't know...it might be time. I feel guilty for saying that after everything he's done for us, and I respect the management for their loyalty to the players in situations like this, but...there are just so many other options out there.

Of course, on the other hand, look how much better Tim Thomas did after he got patched up and back into form...maybe once Ozzie gets a chance to recover completely from the surgery, he'll actually be a lot springier (lol) than before.

If MacDonald is a capable back up than I say let's give him a chance. Understand I'm not trying to dis on Ozzie at all but this organization at some point is going to have to get a little younger. Can you honestly say that you know Yzerman would keep Ozzie on if he were GM of Detroit? I know I can't say that Yzerman wouldn't keep him on and I think that is what sepereates us a fans from people who know what they are doing within the organiztion. I will support the Wings no matter what. Eventually Players like Mursak, Emmerton, and Kolosov are either going to have to come up or ship out. We aren't always going to have players like Lidd, Holmsy and Ozzie. I think the Wings do need to start planning for the future and give these young guys a shot at the NHL. They can't get the experince until they give them a chance. You can develop a player in a lower league for years and years but until they step into the higher league they are always going to be lower league players. It's tim after this season for the Wings to start looking at our youth and as much as I hate to say it the Wings may haveto re-build in a sense in another season or so depending on how long our older guys stay on. If Ozzie can come back and continue to be effective and a strong goalie than I'm all for that but he can't play forever and the Wings should start looking in the AHL for help in the coming seasons.

When I think youth-movement, backup goalie isn't really the position that jumps to mind...

It's not like we have a good young goalie in the AHL. Neither McCollum nor Pearce seem ready. MacDonald is ok, but he's also 31 and I wouldn't put him in the same class as a healthy Ozzie. Plus we can still likely keep him for GR, and call him up again if Ozzie gets hurt.

I'd say unless we're getting someone who can seriously challenge Jimmy then it's not worth bringing in anyone new.

Backup goalie isn't going to keep any of our kids from making the team. If we were talking about Draper and Modano (as I'm sure we will soon enough) then you'd have more of a point.

I didn't say Ozzie's future is as bright, given that next year and possibly the year after is it for him. But a healthy Osgood, based on this season, is at least as good as anyone I brought up. Had he remained healthy he could very well have taken the starter role back from Howard.

How can you base it on this season? He only started 10 games!

To pick one name from the list, because I'm particularly familiar with that player, Ozzy isn't at least as good as Jonathan Bernier. Largely because of groin issues, Ozzy only started 10 games this season. Bernier started 22 and should probably start more, had a .913 sv%, is only 22 years old so he has potential and can compete for the starting job. He's demonstrated he can come in and play well even after sitting on the bench for a long stretch.

Maybe Ozzy could completely rehab and come back healthy next season, but groin issues are especially tough for goalies. So you're talking about a 39 year old goalie next season who you hope will be healthy and can perform as a reliable backup, which he's never been exceptional in that role, and maybe compete for Howard's job, which honestly is the greatest upside if Ozzy gets a fair number of games. It's a lot of question marks.

Not that this deal is available, but today I'd take Bernier over Osgood.

Rather than getting a young backup though, Holland may well take a crack at bringing in a seasoned vet who is healthier than Ozzy and has more recently held the starting job, and let them compete with Howard.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

How can you base it on this season? He only started 10 games!

To pick one name from the list, because I'm particularly familiar with that player, Ozzy isn't at least as good as Jonathan Bernier. Largely because of groin issues, Ozzy only started 10 games this season. Bernier started 22 and should probably start more, had a .913 sv%, is only 22 years old so he has potential and can compete for the starting job. He's demonstrated he can come in and play well even after sitting on the bench for a long stretch.

Maybe Ozzy could completely rehab and come back healthy next season, but groin issues are especially tough for goalies. So you're talking about a 39 year old goalie next season who you hope will be healthy and can perform as a reliable backup, which he's never been exceptional in that role, and maybe compete for Howard's job, which honestly is the greatest upside if Ozzy gets a fair number of games. It's a lot of question marks.

Not that this deal is available, but today I'd take Bernier over Osgood.

Rather than getting a young backup though, Holland may well take a crack at bringing in a seasoned vet who is healthier than Ozzy and has more recently held the starting job, and let them compete with Howard.

Osgood was playing better hockey than Howard when he was in, despite Babcock's completely irregular starting decisions that might have him sit for ten games and then play two of three. I can understand your opinion on Bernier; I mean, he's supposed to be on the 2014 Olympic team right?

I see nothing in that article that indicates he'll be playing another season.

Asked if he’d contemplated having played his last game, Osgood was emphatic.

“No,” he said. “I’m coming back next year. But I’m not thinking about that right now, I’m thinking about getting ready to play if they need me to play.”

Osgood was playing better hockey than Howard when he was in, despite Babcock's completely irregular starting decisions that might have him sit for ten games and then play two of three. I can understand your opinion on Bernier; I mean, he's supposed to be on the 2014 Olympic team right?

Like I said, it's just a lot of question marks with Ozzy, especially considering his age. Is he going to be healthy enough all season to even play or will the Wings need a third goaltender? IF he's healthy, will he be able to get his form back and be an effective backup? Is he going to need a lot of games to get on a roll and play well?

I'm guessing you're being sarcastic about Bernier unless you know something I don't. He's Canadian so unless he does something incredible in the next few seasons, I don't see him on the Olympic team. But that doesn't mean he's not a solid young backup.

Like I said, it's just a lot of question marks with Ozzy, especially considering his age. Is he going to be healthy enough all season to even play or will the Wings need a third goaltender? IF he's healthy, will he be able to get his form back and be an effective backup? Is he going to need a lot of games to get on a roll and play well?

I'm guessing you're being sarcastic about Bernier unless you know something I don't. He's Canadian so unless he does something incredible in the next few seasons, I don't see him on the Olympic team. But that doesn't mean he's not a solid young backup.

In the thread posted a few weeks back that discussed an article which went over potential Olympic teams, Bernier was either one of the Canadian goalies or in the "just missed the cut" section.

Of course, the same article had a then 40-year-old Tim Thomas on the US team if I recall, so there's clearly a limited amount of accuracy there.

In the thread posted a few weeks back that discussed an article which went over potential Olympic teams, Bernier was either one of the Canadian goalies or in the "just missed the cut" section.

Of course, the same article had a then 40-year-old Tim Thomas on the US team if I recall, so there's clearly a limited amount of accuracy there.

Too funny. Seems like they should at least wait for him to get a job as starting goaltender before they name him to the Olympic team.

If he can re-cooperate and stay healthy and beat out competition for the backup position for next training camp, I'm all for him returning.

I admire him trying to come back now as well for this postseason, but unless Howard and MacDonald are carried off on stretchers, I don't see how he fits in for the postseason coming in rusty.

If he can re-cooperate and stay healthy and beat out competition for the backup position for next training camp, I'm all for him returning.

Recuperate. Unless you mean that you want him to be even more of a team player than he already is.

I admire him trying to come back now as well for this postseason, but unless Howard and MacDonald are carried off on stretchers, I don't see how he fits in for the postseason coming in rusty.

In his last twenty games, Howard has allowed 3+ goals nine times. The twenty games also include the Toronto game where he was injured, and likely would have given up a third the way he was playing.

If the goaltending keeps on like that, Ozzy may yet see ice time this playoff season.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Recuperate. Unless you mean that you want him to be even more of a team player than he already is.

In his last twenty games, Howard has allowed 3+ goals nine times. The twenty games also include the Toronto game where he was injured, and likely would have given up a third the way he was playing.

If the goaltending keeps on like that, Ozzy may yet see ice time this playoff season.

from the OP article:

MacDonald never has played in the NHL playoffs, but general manager Ken Holland said the Wings aren’t comfortable going to Osgood if needed because of the long layoff, and probably would look instead to minor leaguer Jordan Pearce if needed.

Osgood is done this year, just let it go.