• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:36 PM

How can you base it on this season? He only started 10 games!

To pick one name from the list, because I'm particularly familiar with that player, Ozzy isn't at least as good as Jonathan Bernier. Largely because of groin issues, Ozzy only started 10 games this season. Bernier started 22 and should probably start more, had a .913 sv%, is only 22 years old so he has potential and can compete for the starting job. He's demonstrated he can come in and play well even after sitting on the bench for a long stretch.

Maybe Ozzy could completely rehab and come back healthy next season, but groin issues are especially tough for goalies. So you're talking about a 39 year old goalie next season who you hope will be healthy and can perform as a reliable backup, which he's never been exceptional in that role, and maybe compete for Howard's job, which honestly is the greatest upside if Ozzy gets a fair number of games. It's a lot of question marks.

Not that this deal is available, but today I'd take Bernier over Osgood.

Rather than getting a young backup though, Holland may well take a crack at bringing in a seasoned vet who is healthier than Ozzy and has more recently held the starting job, and let them compete with Howard.

Osgood was playing better hockey than Howard when he was in, despite Babcock's completely irregular starting decisions that might have him sit for ten games and then play two of three. I can understand your opinion on Bernier; I mean, he's supposed to be on the 2014 Olympic team right?
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#42 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:44 PM

I see nothing in that article that indicates he'll be playing another season.

Asked if hed contemplated having played his last game, Osgood was emphatic.

No, he said. Im coming back next year. But Im not thinking about that right now, Im thinking about getting ready to play if they need me to play.

It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#43 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:25 PM

To be fair, he does need a contract first.

#44 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,904 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:54 PM

Osgood was playing better hockey than Howard when he was in, despite Babcock's completely irregular starting decisions that might have him sit for ten games and then play two of three. I can understand your opinion on Bernier; I mean, he's supposed to be on the 2014 Olympic team right?

Like I said, it's just a lot of question marks with Ozzy, especially considering his age. Is he going to be healthy enough all season to even play or will the Wings need a third goaltender? IF he's healthy, will he be able to get his form back and be an effective backup? Is he going to need a lot of games to get on a roll and play well?

I'm guessing you're being sarcastic about Bernier unless you know something I don't. He's Canadian so unless he does something incredible in the next few seasons, I don't see him on the Olympic team. But that doesn't mean he's not a solid young backup.

#45 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:59 PM

Like I said, it's just a lot of question marks with Ozzy, especially considering his age. Is he going to be healthy enough all season to even play or will the Wings need a third goaltender? IF he's healthy, will he be able to get his form back and be an effective backup? Is he going to need a lot of games to get on a roll and play well?

I'm guessing you're being sarcastic about Bernier unless you know something I don't. He's Canadian so unless he does something incredible in the next few seasons, I don't see him on the Olympic team. But that doesn't mean he's not a solid young backup.

In the thread posted a few weeks back that discussed an article which went over potential Olympic teams, Bernier was either one of the Canadian goalies or in the "just missed the cut" section.

Of course, the same article had a then 40-year-old Tim Thomas on the US team if I recall, so there's clearly a limited amount of accuracy there.

#46 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,904 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:56 PM

In the thread posted a few weeks back that discussed an article which went over potential Olympic teams, Bernier was either one of the Canadian goalies or in the "just missed the cut" section.

Of course, the same article had a then 40-year-old Tim Thomas on the US team if I recall, so there's clearly a limited amount of accuracy there.

Too funny. Seems like they should at least wait for him to get a job as starting goaltender before they name him to the Olympic team.

#47 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:37 PM

If he can re-cooperate and stay healthy and beat out competition for the backup position for next training camp, I'm all for him returning.

I admire him trying to come back now as well for this postseason, but unless Howard and MacDonald are carried off on stretchers, I don't see how he fits in for the postseason coming in rusty.

#48 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:51 PM

If he can re-cooperate and stay healthy and beat out competition for the backup position for next training camp, I'm all for him returning.

Recuperate. Unless you mean that you want him to be even more of a team player than he already is.

I admire him trying to come back now as well for this postseason, but unless Howard and MacDonald are carried off on stretchers, I don't see how he fits in for the postseason coming in rusty.

In his last twenty games, Howard has allowed 3+ goals nine times. The twenty games also include the Toronto game where he was injured, and likely would have given up a third the way he was playing.

If the goaltending keeps on like that, Ozzy may yet see ice time this playoff season.

#49 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:58 PM

You know what I mean. Don't be dense and stupid.

#50 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:55 PM

Recuperate. Unless you mean that you want him to be even more of a team player than he already is.

In his last twenty games, Howard has allowed 3+ goals nine times. The twenty games also include the Toronto game where he was injured, and likely would have given up a third the way he was playing.

If the goaltending keeps on like that, Ozzy may yet see ice time this playoff season.

from the OP article:

MacDonald never has played in the NHL playoffs, but general manager Ken Holland said the Wings arent comfortable going to Osgood if needed because of the long layoff, and probably would look instead to minor leaguer Jordan Pearce if needed.

Osgood is done this year, just let it go.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain