• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

matt198913

Favorite Playoff Series

Rate this topic

1. Wings and Blues Second Round 1996... Had everything and we all know how it ended

2. Wings and Ducks Second Round 2009 unreal battle

3. Wings and Avalanche Conference Finals 1997 need I say more

4. Wings and Cannucks 2002 I still can picture sneaking downstairs to see Lidstrom blast one by Cloutier from center ice

5. Wings and Penguins 2008 for obvious reasons

Those are my top 5 what's yours ?

5: 2008 WCSF vs Colorado. Mule

4: Tie between 2009 WCF vs Chicago. Helm with the PK of the year/OT winner.

And 2007 WCSF vs San Jose. Game 4 is in my top 10 Wings games ever

3: 2002 Final vs Carolina. The only thing that kept it from being #2 is had they swept they would have won the cup on my birthday, stupid Ron Francis

2: 2008 Final vs Pittsburgh. Suck it crobsy

1: 2002 WCF vs Colorado. Game 7 is my favorite Wings game ever, I still cant believe it ended 7-0, aaaannnnddd Suck it Roy!

Guest Shoreline

1: 97/2002 Wings/Avs series.

2: 96 Blues series

3: 96 "goodbye Jets" series

1. Wings and Blues Second Round 1996... Had everything and we all know how it ended

2. Wings and Ducks Second Round 2009 unreal battle

3. Wings and Avalanche Conference Finals 1997 need I say more

4. Wings and Cannucks 2002 I still can picture sneaking downstairs to see Lidstrom blast one by Cloutier from center ice

5. Wings and Penguins 2008 for obvious reasons

Those are my top 5 what's yours ?

I just watched that series on youtube yesterday. It was incredible, easily my favorite. Playoff intensity at its highest.

I would have to rank the entire run of playoff series from Calgary 2007 to Pittsburgh 2009 as my favorites.

The 2007 team proved a lot of people wrong and showed a lot of heart. It got revenge on the Flames for 2004, made a mockery of the Sharks bandwagoners in the media, and started a rivalry with the Ducks.

The 2008 team was one of the best Wings teams since 2002 (based on top to bottom efficiency) and every series was great. Nashville was tough, and a little bit of a trench battle, but who could forget McCarty scoring in game two. Mule dismantles Colorado. The Dallas series was very good.

2009 was destined to happen. First round showed the Wings were able to step up their play for the postseason and was delightful from the standpoint that it's always enjoyable to watch a clinic. Ducks round two. Hawks series with Helm's winner. Finals rematch was great until game six.

I can't think of a better run in the last ten years, and this stretch is preceded only by the runs from 1995-1998 for prolonged success. Outside these seven seasons the 20 year history of Red Wings playoff hockey is a catalogue of first and second round upsets and disappointments.

2008 against Columbus. Wish every series was that stress free.

2002 against Colorado, if you're talking about a classic, memorable series, where everything was on the line. The quality of the two teams was incredible in terms of star power.

'02 vs Colorado. Legendary.

'09 vs. the Ducks. Again. Legendary.

'97 vs. Philadelphia. Sweeping the Legion of Doom to secure the title? Not the most thrilling series but for memorable nonetheless for the satisfaction.

'08 vs Colorado. One of the coolest stories: A Single player (Franzen) scoring more than the other team in the entire series.

1997 series vs Anaheim. I know it was a sweep but all but one game went to OT, with Anaheim playing without their starting goalie Guy Hebert

If memory serve Hebert went out of game 2 with an injury... Wings had to win in ot 3 times in that series... Nice pick

1. 2009 - Wings vs. Pens

2. 1996 - Wings vs. Avalanche

3. 2006 - Wings vs. Oilers

4. 2003 - Wings vs. Ducks

5. 1995 - Wings vs. Devils

Someone's really in dick mode tonight.

Mine is probably 1987 Norris Division finals against Toronto. To see the "Bad News Bears" rally to win that series after going down 3 games to 1 was really a bright spot after years of disappointment. Then to go on to The Campbell Conference finals against The Oilers and win the first game. I remember thinking that we just might have a chance to beat them and go to the finals. Wishful thinking, as we lost the next 4 games, but the last 3 of those were really tight 1 goal games. The teams surprised a lot of people that year. Including its fans.

We had the same results the following year, until the Goose Loonies incident tore the team apart. Man did that screw up anything that the team had going into the next year.

Edited by BigWillieStyle

I'm a big fan of Hockey, Baseball, and Football, and the 2002 WCF against Colorado is my all time favorite playoff series. Wings series I also like are:

-1997 WCF vs Colorado

-1997 Stanley Cup Final vs. Philly

-1995 2nd round vs. SJ

-2009 WCF vs. Chicago

Edited by Barrie

5. 1998 Western Conference Final- Seeing Ozzie rebound after letting in Langenbrunner's goal from Center Ice and then to shut them out in Game 6 and we never lost again after Game 5.

4. 1997 Western Conference Final- I still remember sneaking downstairs to watch that series and when Shanny scored the empty net goal and to have the celebration back in Detroit was awesome!

3. 2008 Wings vs Avs- Franzen outscoring the whole avs team

2. 2009 Western Conference Final- Always fun to knock out the Hawks

1. 2002 Western Conference Final- I believe there was 15 future hall of famers between those two teams and winning 7-0 in game 7 chasing Patty Roy, I couldnt believe what i was watching!

2002 vs. Avs--Classic

1997 vs. Ducks--a sweep, but a sweep with six extra OT periods. A couple of VERY late nights there.

1998 vs. Caps--not so much because the series was awesome, but just to see them raise the Cup after the off-season tragedy and then handing the Cup to Vladdie

The '94 series versus San Jose is very fresh in my mind too. Obviously it's not a favorite. Remembering it certainly makes me appreciate 97, 98, 02, and 08 even more.

Edited by A.T.Hun