• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
newfy

Interesting draft point

Rate this topic

An interview with Curt Fraser talked about the need for size and how the wings have decided to draft bigger players lately. mentioned it has pretty much been mandated that they look for guys 6'2 and over or something.

This could have a lot to do with the wings picking Sheahan and we might see it happen going forward as well. Just thought it was cool to hear that the wings are looking to get bigger and stronger.

I'll be the first to say that Sheahan's progress to this point doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence in drafting "bigger and stronger". I have very little faith that Sheahan will be an effective NHLer.

Havent watched him play once have you?

An interview with Curt Fraser talked about the need for size and how the wings have decided to draft bigger players lately. mentioned it has pretty much been mandated that they look for guys 6'2 and over or something.

This could have a lot to do with the wings picking Sheahan and we might see it happen going forward as well. Just thought it was cool to hear that the wings are looking to get bigger and stronger.

agreed, i would like to see the wings take a chance on some big power forwards in the first round more often. it be nice to hit a home run with, should i dare say, a perry- getzlaff type.

sure i would perfer a lucic type, but those guys are ultra-rare these days.

Edited by redwingfan19

Havent watched him play once have you?

Always a mature way to start a conversation by making baseless assumptions; way to go. I just checked the schedule and aside from the team Canada U20 tryouts, I've seen him play 9 times this year. He's a good skater with decent hands but I don't believe he's ever going to be anything more than a checking center, and even then his compete level leaves a lot to be desired. He doesn't shoot the puck enough, is soft in the corners, lacks creativity in the offensive zone and gives up too easily in physical confrontations.

I'm not saying there's no chance of him making the show and of course there's a chance that he will become an excellent pro, but I've seen nothing so far that warrants his draft position. He's got loads of time to develop and I'd gladly be proven wrong and eat some crow, but I've been a nay-sayer from the moment he was drafted and I will continue to be until experience forges him into a useful NHLer or proves him to be a bust.

Guest blueadams

I've seen Sheahan a couple of times at yost. I went from hoping for a Franzen-type to praying for an Abdelkader-type pretty quickly.

Always a mature way to start a conversation by making baseless assumptions; way to go. I just checked the schedule and aside from the team Canada U20 tryouts, I've seen him play 9 times this year. He's a good skater with decent hands but I don't believe he's ever going to be anything more than a checking center, and even then his compete level leaves a lot to be desired. He doesn't shoot the puck enough, is soft in the corners, lacks creativity in the offensive zone and gives up too easily in physical confrontations.

I'm not saying there's no chance of him making the show and of course there's a chance that he will become an excellent pro, but I've seen nothing so far that warrants his draft position. He's got loads of time to develop and I'd gladly be proven wrong and eat some crow, but I've been a nay-sayer from the moment he was drafted and I will continue to be until experience forges him into a useful NHLer or proves him to be a bust.

Hmm thats odd I thought he was great along the boards with the puck and was playing physical when I watched him.

I guess we have different standards of effective NHLer. If you think his chances of becoming a good 3rd line, shut down defensive center are slim than I dont know what to say. If youre questioning him becoming a big point producer I could understand but still you dont have to put up a ton of points to become a good NHLer

agreed, i would like to see the wings take a chance on some big power forwards in the first round more often. it be nice to hit a home run with, should i dare say, a perry- getzlaff type.

sure i would perfer a lucic type, but those guys are ultra-rare these days.

Agreed, you always hear the wings taking gamble on big skill later on in the draft but whats wrong with taking a guy like Lucic every once in a while. Gems like him can be found just as easily as skilled players

Most of the big, skilled North Americans are taken so early, and gone before the Wings draft.

Wings do draft a decent amount of big guys, just few actually make it. It's usually the smaller skilled guys who end up making the team.