• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
newfy

Any one think Abby might face discipline?

Rate this topic

I havent got the chance to watch a replay but it looked like a pretty blatant elbow, I think it should have been a penalty with no suspension but who knows with this NHL.

I dont have a youtube or anything

Guest Shoreline

Probably a game. Personally think it's an elbowing penalty, which I'm surprised the refs didn't catch given they looked more than eager to put the Wings down a man while ignoring Chicago antics.

Edited by Shoreline

Guest Shoreline

So 2-min elbow penalties don't exist anymore?

Not in the NHL today. It's either "whoops, didn't see it" or "20 games".

There is no question in my mind that Abby will get something. It's almost identical to the elbow-to-face shot that Dany Heatley recently gave to Steve Ott in our (Sharks) game against Dallas. It was a sweet shot to watch against a notorious rat/agitator, but for that Heatley received a two game suspension and $80,645.16 fine.

Watch here and see if you can see much of a difference:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=556324

Edited by Grypho

bertuzzi didnt get anything for his elbow a couple weeks ago... i doubt abby gets anything

Yeah but this was worse than Bertuzzi's. Bert basically turned around and was trying to avoid hurting the guy when he caught him with his arm. It should've been a 2 minute elbow, but who knows what'll happen in the current hysteria of the NHL regarding headshots.

Here's the YT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU7aF2UczaA&feature=player_embedded

Didn't see it at the time, was definitely leading with the elbow and caught him in the head, even if he meant to get body first.

A hit to the jaw like that hurts like all hell and can really dizzy you up as well.

A game suspension might be in order. Tsk, tsk, Abby.

Yeah but this was worse than Bertuzzi's. Bert basically turned around and was trying to avoid hurting the guy when he caught him with his arm. It should've been a 2 minute elbow, but who knows what'll happen in the current hysteria of the NHL regarding headshots.

For comparison:

(look at 0:30 far right of the screen)

The difference in both cases (from the Bert shot) is that they obviously (or at least arguably) deliberate head shots.

Edited by Grypho

Here's the YT.

Damn... Now I'm torn.

From the clip I saw in the game, at full speed, I thought it was a nice elbow...

BUT...from that clip, honestly, it looks like a bit of embellishment to me on Seabrooks part;

NOT saying Abby didn't catch him a bit, just that Seabrook, from that clip, looked to do a great job of trying to sell it.

(just my opinion, of course)

Edited by sleepwalker

There is no question in my mind that Abby will get something. It's almost identical to the elbow-to-face shot that Dany Heatley recently gave to Steve Ott in our (Sharks) game against Dallas. It was a sweet shot to watch against a notorious rat/agitator, but for that Heatley received a two game suspension and $80,645.16 fine.

Watch here and see if you can see much of a difference:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=556324

Ah. I was confused when you said it was Eager.

But seriously, you can't see much difference between Abby's hit, where he's actually going to hit a guy along the boards who had played the puck, and Heatley's, where he throws an elbow as he skates past Ott?

just for reference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJvY2WjIbLM

For comparison:

The difference in both cases (from the Bert shot) is that they obviously (or at least arguably) deliberate head shots.

The difference is that they're arguably the same? what?

Now I'm starting to think you're a sharks fan just trolling. Abby's is worse than Bert's. But Abby's is nothing like what Heatley did.

Looking at the replay, the only angle that we get to see, it looks like he had his elbow down quite a bit. Don't really know how it got up into Seabrooks' face, unless either Abby left his feet or Seabrook had his head down. Would really have to see another angle to make an honest call. It does look as if he tried to pull up to avoid getting hit and Abby got him clean in the face, though.

I'm thinking a fine at most. Remember we get all the calls, and, we have Toronto in our pocket. :unsure:

Guest Shoreline

I see quite a difference between Heatley's and Abby's -- Abby doesn't go out of his way to throw an elbow like Heatley does. Still, a penalty is a penalty. Wouldn't argue with two minutes x game suspension which seems to be the norm today with NHL hits mostly disregarding intent.

Ah. I was confused when you said it was Eager.

But seriously, you can't see much difference between Abby's hit, where he's actually going to hit a guy along the boards who had played the puck, and Heatley's, where he throws an elbow as he skates past Ott?

just for reference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJvY2WjIbLM

The difference is that they're arguably the same? what?

Now I'm starting to think you're a sharks fan just trolling. Abby's is worse than Bert's. But Abby's is nothing like what Heatley did.

I only meant that both shots appeared to be a) deliberate, and b) head shots. Whether a puck in play makes a difference to the NHL, I don't know. I think head shots, like high sticks, are illegal under any circumstances.

As for trolling, everyone who knows me here knows that I'm hardly a troll (trolls don't have long term memberships and pay to become boosters). The Wings are my second-favorite team in the NHL, and always have been. Also, I am seriously ANTI-TROLL - vicious, actually, to the few Sharks fans who do come trolling.

I only meant that both shots appeared to be a) deliberate, and b) head shots. Whether a puck in play makes a difference to the NHL, I don't know. I think head shots, like high sticks, are illegal under any circumstances.

As for trolling, everyone who knows me here knows that I'm hardly a troll (trolls don't have long term memberships and pay to become boosters). The Wings are my second-favorite team in the NHL, and always have been. Also, I am seriously ANTI-TROLL - vicious, actually, to the few Sharks fans who do come trolling.

Sorry, maybe i jumped the gun on the trolling, but it is that time of year here. :P

But I don't think Abby's is deliberate. Or at least not as clearly deliberate as Heatley's. Abdelkader is coming in for a legal check, turns his head away from the play and his elbow gets up a bit (but not really that much honestly) and he catches him in the jaw. It was reckless maybe because a player needs to be responsible for their actions, but I don't think deliberate.

Whereas Heatley is headed up ice and goes out of his way to throw and elbow at Ott's head. Ott is a gutless puke so I can't say that it made me mad, but I don't think these two hits have much in common really. So when we're talking about suspensions I don't believe Heatley's makes a very good benchmark.

Well, being a Detroit player, Abby will probably be lucky to get 25 to life :P

Seriously though, I think the hit looked worse than it was and the NHL will probably let it go considering all that the Hawks got away with today. IMO no harm done, off to the playoffs we go.