• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jets4Life

Good luck from Winnipeg

Rate this topic

Hello.

I am new to this forum.

I enjoy watching the Wings, and have enjoyed seeing them hist the cup in 1997,98,2002, and 2008. However, there is something 750,000 residents of Winnipeg would like to see 100 times more. For the Wings to demolish the Coyotes in 4 straight games.

You see, the Coyotes are in financial peril right now. The quicker they go down to defeat, the more favorable the chances of the team moving to Winnipeg in the off season.

Ironically, the last Winnipeg Jets game was a 4-1 playoff loss to the Detroit Red Wings on April 28, 1996. It has been nearly 15 long years for our city to be without our beloved Jets. I would love to see the full circle. To see the Wings destroy the Coyotes, and watch the moving vans pull up to the Glendale Arena would be quite the site to behold.

So on behalf of everyone from Winnipeg;

GO WINGS GO!

but more important:

dead_yote.jpg

DIE COYOTES DIE!

Edited by Jets4Life

This whole fiasco is so interesting to me. Winnipeg obviously has hockey in their blood, Glendale does not. But the thing most interesting to me is the fact that the players don't seem overly interested in going back to Winnipeg. Pierre LeBrun was quoted saying that many players were putting Atlanta on their list of teams they didn't want to be traded to because of feat they would move to Winnipeg. Eric Belanger says no one wants to leave Arizona for Winnipeg due to the cold weather, versus coming to the rink in flip flops all season long. If the greater Glendale area could get some solid footing for their team, and continue winning, it is one of the largest tv markets in the USA. That could ultimately lead to higher ratings for the league, leading to more $$$ for the owners AND players. I can understand why the league is so reluctant to move them back, because they don't want to lose that possible tv market. I don't think all hope is lost for Winnipeg thought. I recently heard Dan LeBetard on ESPN Radio's Herd with Colin Cowherd say that only 2,000 people watch Panthers games on tv. Miami really only cares about the Dolphins, and barely supports the Heat. I can easily see the Panthers moving north of the border. Atlanta too.

Time will tell, but this thing HAS to have some resolution soon for all parties involved.

From a Phoenician who's moved to Detroit in the last week. BOOO WINNIPEG!!!!. Doesn't look good, but I still hold out hope the Yotes will stay.

PHOENIX FOREVER

Edited by webwing91

The ref defenders are missing the point. Most of the complaints aren't simply "hindsight is 20/20" situations. The outrageous ones are the ones that are obvious WITHOUT a replay, and then the replay just confirms it. Those are what we are seeing a lot of, and it's ridiculous that so many things are not called one night and called the next.

I still can't understand how Franzen getting high sticked and bleeding wasn't AT LEAST a 2 minute minor instead of the whole automatic four minute double minor for blood. That sort of stuff is blatantly obvious, even before the replay.

And how can you explain when they are looking right at a violation like that where someone gets hurt or is behind the play and doesn't call a thing? Obviously they saw it and decided NOT to call it, it wasn't a "mistake." Most likely it was a "Oh, I didn't call it right that second so now I can't call it at all" situation. Garbage.

Whether the Wings score 40 goals in a 4 game sweep, or the Coyotes win the Cup, the Yotes are not moving back. Winnipeg has proven itself no more successful a market than current "failing" markets. And Winnipeg is at a huge disadvantage because those markets have a much greater population to tap into, as well as being much larger TV markets. If you want a successful small market, try Green Bay. And why are they successful? Because they have a long history of winning. Winnipeg, Hartford, Quebec? Those cities won nothing. Quebec is the most realistic suggestion for an NHL team, and even then they would have trouble. Maybe less if you buy up the Avs and move them back...

Glad to see there's no residual bitterness over the whole 'the Wings bought Kris Draper for $1" thing. :hehe:

LOL.

Arguably the worst deal in Jets history. What on earth was GM Mike Smith thinking? I remember when it happened too. It was June 30, 1993 if I can remember correctly. The Jets media said he was a really promising rookie, and then poof! Gone to Detroit for $1.00

LOL.

Arguably the worst deal in Jets history. What on earth was GM Mike Smith thinking? I remember when it happened too. It was June 30, 1993 if I can remember correctly. The Jets media said he was a really promising rookie, and then poof! Gone to Detroit for $1.00

And you got Dallas Drake and Tim Cheveldae in return for Bob Essensa a few months later. Add Draper in to that deal and it is much closer to fair, but still in the Jets' favor.

I'm torn on this issue. On one hand, I'd love to see Canada get their teams back. There needs to be more teams in the north, and less in the south. Hockey has the largest following in the north, for obvious reasons. The only time the southern teams get a consistent following is when they're in the playoffs.

On the other hand, because of the economy in Michigan many of my friends have moved out to Phoenix for jobs. The only time they get to see the Wings live is when they play Phoenix. When the Wings are in town, Jobing.com Arena really is Joe Louis Arena West.