• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Los Angeles vs. San Jose

Rate this topic

Kings will have a tough go of it with both Kopitar out and Williams questionable for the first round.

This is a team that has trouble scoring goals as it is. Smyth is basically only useful in front of the net and the occasional cherrypick, but otherwise looks old and slow. And Penner hasn't helped the offense like they'd hoped with only 2 goals and 4 assists in 19 games. Basically being invisible for most of a game, then having the occasional inspired shift. Their power play is awful, and with Kopitar out the team gets even slower than they already are.

The pluses are this team is strong defensively and has a great penalty kill. They're tough, and have good goaltending in Quick. But unless Williams makes a miraculous recovery and some other players step up to score, I think Kings losing in 6 might be optimistic.

Unless of course the Sharks choke. :D

EDIT: for anyone watching this game not familiar with the Kings. Guys I'd covet to have on the Wings (other than Doughty and Kopitar). Greene for hard nose stay at home defensive play. Simmonds for grinding, toughness, and some scoring. They're a fun young team to watch play, but the key injuries are a heartbreaker.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

I think San Jose is going to march all over the Kings. I predict 6 games at the most, but that may be pushing it. The sharks are ready for a deep run into the playoffs and they have all the pieces to win the cup if everything works out in their favor. IMHO, Niemi will be the key for this team. If he has a strong playoff like last season with Chicago, then they could go all the way.

Definitely cheering for the Kings (as much as I can cheer for anybody besides the Wings), but this would've been a much more fun series with Kopitar (and Williams). I hate to say it, but I think it'll end up being the Sharks in 5. I hope the Kings can drag it out a little longer, and they did an admirable job just getting to this point without Kops, but I just don't see them winning it.

IF and I say IF the Wings pull off the series with Phoenix and Vancouver holds serve with Chicago as well as however pulls out the NAS/ANA series, the Wings would play SJ. This series is key for the Wings! I do not want to play SJ, I will be pulling for the Kings in this one. Quick is gonna have to stand on his head in this series, but I think if the Kings can pull off one of the first two games in SJ, they may have a shot at this one! And we all know what type of playoff performer Thornton is......

Saw this quote on another site. The first game (hopefully) will be interesting.

MURRAY: “We know it’s going to be a real revved-up series, a real hard series. Everything I read, from the San Jose players talking, it’s going to be a bit of a gong show, with fighting. I’m reading about Clowe’s bloody nose and Ben Eager all over the place and Mayers fighting. So we’re going to gear ourselves up for that kind of a game. We’ll keep Westgarth in the lineup. That’s the way they’re setting it up, so we’re going to be ready to battle.”

Saw this quote on another site. The first game (hopefully) will be interesting.

That is interesting. Honestly a little strange for Murray to say something like that.

Westgarth is the King's resident goon. But Clifford will fight, if he's in the lineup. And they have a fair number of guys who can play and will also drop the gloves. Simmonds, Greene, Mitchell, Smyth once in a great while. The Kings had 49 fights this regular season.

That is interesting. Honestly a little strange for Murray to say something like that.

Westgarth is the King's resident goon. But Clifford will fight, if he's in the lineup. And they have a fair number of guys who can play and will also drop the gloves. Simmonds, Greene, Mitchell, Smyth once in a great while. The Kings had 49 fights this regular season.

I'm pretty sure Clifford is still banged up from this, so it is unlikely he'll be looking for a fight.

I'm pretty sure Clifford is still banged up from this, so it is unlikely he'll be looking for a fight.

Yeah. tough kid but he fights all out wide open, no defense. He had just come back from getting his bell rung in a fight the month before. I hadn't heard if he was concussed from this one again, or if the guy just caught him on the button.

If he's back in the lineup though, he won't be shying away from a fight. Hopefully he'll just have his chin down and the guy tied up better.

EDITED: typo. bell "rung"

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Yeah. tough kid but he fights all out wide open, no defense. He had just come back from getting his bell run in a fight the month before. I hadn't heard if he was concussed from this one again, or if the guy just caught him on the button.

If he's back in the lineup though, he won't be shying away from a fight. Hopefully he'll just have his chin down and the guy tied up better.

I heard he was a bit swollen/cut from the fight, but you're right- I don't see him shying away from anything with the way he plays (which is awesome).

I was also a bit surprised to see that quote from Murray.