• Please log in to reply
410 replies to this topic

#221 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,247 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 12:37 AM

Niemi continues to be garbage. Enjoy that 4 year extension! Thornton was actually noticeable on the ice tonight. Heatley wasn't. It's like only one of their $7 million dollar men can show up at a time in a playoff game. That being said, I still can't believe how soft on the puck a guy as big as Thornton is. Great hands, unbelievable vision, but doesn't seem like he wants to battle for a puck.

Great game by Quick. Gutsy performance by the Kings. Without Kopitar I didn't even think they'd be in this series. It's too bad that they've let a couple of the great chances they had go by. This could easily be a tied series instead of another win or go home by the Kings.

#222 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 12:39 AM

Quick has the ability to stand on his head like that every now and then but he has trouble putting games back to back like that. The Kings can't expect to win the next game if they give up another 50+ shots like they did tonight. I'd like to see this go 7 games as well but the Kings will have to play better for sure. Niemi looks suspect though.

#223 WingZNut13

WingZNut13

2nd Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 12:47 AM

Quick has the ability to stand on his head like that every now and then but he has trouble putting games back to back like that. The Kings can't expect to win the next gameif they give up another 50+ shots like they did tonight. I'd like to see this go 7 games as well but the Kings will have to play better for sure. Niemi looks suspect though.

+1

Quick was excellent tonight. As much as I want to see the Kings pull off this comeback, I just don't think Quick and the defense has the ability and the skill to compete with the Sharks, especially if the sharks are getting 45+ shots off a night. Quick could possible stand on his head for Game 6 cause it will be in L.A but no chance in hell he can do 3 games straight. He is going to need a lot of help from the D which he didn't get tonight.
What kind of color is red? Red is a warning. A declaration. A color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and Driven because red doesn't like second place. So what Kind of color is red? Our kind" - The Red Wing Army

#224 Grypho

Grypho

Sharks Fan

• HoF Booster
  • 487 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 12:57 AM

Oof.

Well.

Yeah.

Um, s***.

Yeah.

Sure, I'll have a beer. Thanks, why not.

#225 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 02:03 AM

Excellent result for us! The Sharks have to play another 60 minutes of tough hockey while the Wings rest up. :thumbup: Go LA!

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#226 MGreenberg

MGreenberg

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 02:30 AM

Yeah, I really don't care who the Wings play in the next round seeing as how every team is having goalie problems now except Detroit so far which is funny seeing as how Howard wasn't that solid during the regular season but I am glad to see him playing like he is right now as well as the whole team. Also the more worn out of the other teams are the better seeing as how my realistic expectations of the Wings wasn't that high until I see how every team is having constant problems in net.

#227 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 02:45 AM

Yeah, I really don't care who the Wings play in the next round seeing as how every team is having goalie problems now except Detroit so far which is funny seeing as how Howard wasn't that solid during the regular season but I am glad to see him playing like he is right now as well as the whole team. Also the more worn out of the other teams are the better seeing as how my realistic expectations of the Wings wasn't that high until I see how every team is having constant problems in net.

I honestly do NOT want to face Nashville. Anaheim and SJ don't have the defense or goaltending to stop Detroit. They may score 3 a night, but Bryz is a better goalie than both Neimi and whoever the hell Anaheim plays. Rinne is good, and with Weber in front, they could give us some trouble getting some goals.

#228 MGreenberg

MGreenberg

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 02:58 AM

I honestly do NOT want to face Nashville. Anaheim and SJ don't have the defense or goaltending to stop Detroit. They may score 3 a night, but Bryz is a better goalie than both Neimi and whoever the hell Anaheim plays. Rinne is good, and with Weber in front, they could give us some trouble getting some goals.

Yeah, I know how good Rinne is since he has been my favorite goaltender since last season but honestly I am not as worried right now as I was before the playoffs. I think they provide the toughest match up for sure but I think the Wings could take them down in six.

#229 GAWing

GAWing

Prospect

• 34 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 09:00 AM

The Kings should be up 3-2, that sure would've made this series interesting. Still the Sharks seem vulnerable and if we play them next I like our chances a lot.

#230 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 09:13 AM

You must not be following the Anaheim-Nashville series. Rinne has an .865 save percentage and a 3.57 GAA against Anaheim.

What Rinne did in the regular season means nothing. So far he sucks in the playoffs. In fact only Bryz has a worse save %.

+1

Quick was excellent tonight. As much as I want to see the Kings pull off this comeback, I just don't think Quick and the defense has the ability and the skill to compete with the Sharks, especially if the sharks are getting 45+ shots off a night. Quick could possible stand on his head for Game 6 cause it will be in L.A but no chance in hell he can do 3 games straight. He is going to need a lot of help from the D which he didn't get tonight.

Agreed. The Kings don't have the talent to hang with the Kings BUT if Niemi continues to play at the same level, the Kings have a chance.
Do or do not. There is no try

#231 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 10:50 AM

Agreed. The Kings don't have the talent to hang with the Kings BUT if Niemi continues to play at the same level, the Kings have a chance.

:blink:

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#232 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 10:48 PM

Is this the series that has to go 7 games in order for the Wings to get the most rest as possible? Or can another series go 7 as well and the Wings still get the most rest possible?

#233 TheSupafly

TheSupafly

Shark fan extrodinaire

• PipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 02:00 AM

So when does Niemi elevate his play so that he is "on top of his game" because a sub .900 save percentage isn't going to cut it against a Wings team that averaged 4.5 GAA in the first round.

No clue, and I agree that his performance in the playoffs so far will not cut it should they make it to the 2nd round. I just keep hoping that the D can play better in front of him, because he's at least proven that if they can do that he can take them deep in the playoffs. Only time will tell, and he's supposed to start game 6 so we'll find out soon enough.

#234 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:19 AM

Is this the series that has to go 7 games in order for the Wings to get the most rest as possible? Or can another series go 7 as well and the Wings still get the most rest possible?

This or the Pittsburgh-Tampa series. If either goes to seven games the second round won't start until Friday at the earliest.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#235 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,280 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 02:48 PM

Who takes it tonight?

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#236 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:05 PM

The Kings need to play better than they did in game 5. Giving up 50+ shots will only lead to their demise. Quick cannot be expected to play at the insane level he did in game 5. I think this is going to be a low scoring game with LA winning in ovetime 2-1. You have to expect a tighter defensive game from the Kings.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#237 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:47 PM

This or the Pittsburgh-Tampa series. If either goes to seven games the second round won't start until Friday at the earliest.

Not necessarly true. Detroit could still play Nasvhille on Thursday.

Edited by 10 Minute Misconduct, 25 April 2011 - 08:48 PM.

Posted Image

#238 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,806 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:58 PM

GO KINGS GO!

#239 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:10 PM

Here we go, GCL cranked up, ready to see some major battling! C'mon LA! :thumbup:

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#240 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:11 PM

Let's see another Game 7 come.. :lol: