Photo
- - - - -

Los Angeles vs. San Jose

• Please log in to reply
410 replies to this topic

#141 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:29 AM

I think Terry Murray is experiencing another "Choking situation"

14767451334_8f0d14d8cb_o.jpg

#142 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:59 AM

Gosh I hate the Sharks, plus I'm scared of them and really don't want to play them. :(

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#143 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:00 AM

Lets face facts here, the Kings are the underdog. The Sharks came out flat, and then had the skill and firepower to win the game last night. Kudos to the Sharks for winning that game. At the same time though, to watch a 4 goal lead go down the drain, that was tough. Even for a team like the Kings. They should have been able to salt that one away.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#144 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:35 AM

Posted Image

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#145 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:39 AM

Gosh I hate the Sharks, plus I'm scared of them and really don't want to play them. :(

Again with the scared thing. Sharks are a very good team and have a pretty good goalie but where is this fear with Wings fans coming from? I am not saying we are going to roll the Sharks or any team this next round but we have no reason to be scared.

Sorry, just a peeve of mine when I see us as Wings fans scared of anything or team. We can hang with any of these remaining teams and I fear nothing at this point. I truly hope we get SJ and show them that we are a much different team than the one they played a season ago.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#146 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:32 AM

How the hell do you blow a 4 goal lead :scared:
IPB Image

#147 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:36 AM

How the hell do you blow a 4 goal lead :scared:

"Well, it's the Kings."

#148 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,044 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:10 AM

Mercifully, I missed the second half of the game though I was afraid that would happen. When I left it was 5-3 still.

The Kings had a tendency to collapse like that during the regular season sometimes too. A team would get a couple goals, like the Sharks did because of the power plays, and then they just lose their composure and start running around. I don't know if it's because of their youth or weak coaching or what, but it's painful to watch. I honestly was afraid it would happen in game two. They have a lot of trouble closing out games.

The upside for the Wings is that if they beat the Coyotes and end up playing the Sharks, San Jose looks very beatable. Shaky goaltending, Thornton is once again invisible. Their best players by far are Setoguchi, Couture and Pavelski.

Watching Thornton play, I can't believe how soft on the puck a guy that's 6'4" and 230 lbs is. It looks like Hudler could knock him off it.

#149 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:27 AM

If we play the sharks, we will win because we have a secret weapon - Anti Niemmi. 0.853 save % WORST of all goaltenders in the playoffs. Sorry San Jose, but you can't win with worst goaltender in the playoffs. And this is not a fluke. Last year he gave up almost 4 goals/game in the finals. Currently he is averaging 3.87 which is worse than all other goaltenders not playing for Phoenix.

San Jose is fortunate not to be down 3-0. They won 2 OT games.
Do or do not. There is no try

#150 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,044 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:34 AM

If we play the sharks, we will win because we have a secret weapon - Anti Niemmi. 0.853 save % WORST of all goaltenders in the playoffs. Sorry San Jose, but you can't win with worst goaltender in the playoffs. And this is not a fluke. Last year he gave up almost 4 goals/game in the finals. Currently he is averaging 3.87 which is worse than all other goaltenders not playing for Phoenix.

San Jose is fortunate not to be down 3-0. They won 2 OT games.

Agreed. They've given up 10 goals in 3 games to a team that struggles offensively and is missing their best player.

The first couple goals Niemmi let in last night were absolute garbage. It's hard to believe the Hawks won a Cup with this guy in net. They were fortunate to play a team with equally shoddy goaltending in Boucher and Leighton.

#151 RedLightGoesOn

RedLightGoesOn

Playoff Ice...if you know what I mean

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 05:14 PM

Watching Thornton play, I can't believe how soft on the puck a guy that's 6'4" and 230 lbs is. It looks like Hudler could knock him off it.

And people were stunned when Boston gave him up.

Agreed. They've given up 10 goals in 3 games to a team that struggles offensively and is missing their best player.

The first couple goals Niemmi let in last night were absolute garbage. It's hard to believe the Hawks won a Cup with this guy in net. They were fortunate to play a team with equally shoddy goaltending in Boucher and Leighton.

The Sharks announcers love to wave it in the faces of their viewers of how Niemmi won the Cup, without considering other facts of how loaded the roster was for the Hawks (and their production). I'm not a big believer in Niemmi being a huge reason why the Hawks won.
40 for life.

#152 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,231 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 05:42 PM

Neither the Sharks nor the Kings scare me. (I don't have to play them. :)) I would be very interested in meeting the Kings for a change in the playoffs, but if SJ makes it out of this round, so be it.
As a former STH for the Sharks, it's almost shameful how I've dropped them like a bad habit.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#153 azshark

azshark

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:09 AM

The upside for the Wings is that if they beat the Coyotes and end up playing the Sharks, San Jose looks very beatable. Shaky goaltending, Thornton is once again invisible. Their best players by far are Setoguchi, Couture and Pavelski.

Good observations!

The Sharks, after three games, do look beatable. Poor goaltending is not all of it. I'd also attribute the slow start to taking dumb penalties, losing guys on the ice, not blocking shots, and having a HORRID transition game.

If I look at a possible match-up on paper, I would be fine playing your Red Wings. Not worried a bit. BUT, the way SJ has played so far vs. the Kings, I am honestly concerned. But, we need two more W's first. Todd is an awesome coach, and I expect to see progression in the Sharks as this first round series continues.

The other thing to consider...
Our 4th line has sucked so far. In fact they were on the ice for the first two early goals in Game #3 and pretty much got yanked. Ice time (not exact):
-Eager: 1:30
-Mayers: 2:40
-Nichol: 3:10 (he had more time because he's good at face-offs)

One more thing, your list of quality players has Couture, Pavelski and Setoguchi. You MUST add Clowe and Murray. Clowe IS the leader on this team. Two big goals in game #3. Murray has been involved on both sides of the ice and his physical game is going.

People are jumping on Jumbo Joe. From a statistical point of view, he's been pretty "playoff typical." To his credit, his back-checking game has been really good. Another "choker" Marleau has been quietly effective so far.

I'd wait another game or two before you start salivating over the idea of playing SJ. If, they get rolling and Niemi "shows-up" it could be an awesome series!

#154 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,044 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:27 AM

Good observations!

The Sharks, after three games, do look beatable. Poor goaltending is not all of it. I'd also attribute the slow start to taking dumb penalties, losing guys on the ice, not blocking shots, and having a HORRID transition game.

If I look at a possible match-up on paper, I would be fine playing your Red Wings. Not worried a bit. BUT, the way SJ has played so far vs. the Kings, I am honestly concerned. But, we need two more W's first. Todd is an awesome coach, and I expect to see progression in the Sharks as this first round series continues.

The other thing to consider...
Our 4th line has sucked so far. In fact they were on the ice for the first two early goals in Game #3 and pretty much got yanked. Ice time (not exact):
-Eager: 1:30
-Mayers: 2:40
-Nichol: 3:10 (he had more time because he's good at face-offs)

One more thing, your list of quality players has Couture, Pavelski and Setoguchi. You MUST add Clowe and Murray. Clowe IS the leader on this team. Two big goals in game #3. Murray has been involved on both sides of the ice and his physical game is going.

People are jumping on Jumbo Joe. From a statistical point of view, he's been pretty "playoff typical." To his credit, his back-checking game has been really good. Another "choker" Marleau has been quietly effective so far.

I'd wait another game or two before you start salivating over the idea of playing SJ. If, they get rolling and Niemi "shows-up" it could be an awesome series!

I'm far from salivating over the idea of playing SJ. Mainly just saying to those Wings fans who haven't watched the Shark-Kings series, the Sharks have some weaknesses for sure.

I'd definitely add Clowe and Murray to that list. I just think Couture, Pavelski and Setoguchi have been unbelievable.

As for Thornton, honestly if in a series against the Wings all I notice is his backchecking and Marleau is quietly effective, I'd be more than happy with that. Because they should be the two guys dominating. I know bashing Thornton has become sport, but for whatever reason I actually like the guy. But at $7.2 mill he's consistently disappointing in the postseason, and should be doing much more than backchecking.

I may regret saying this if the Wings end up playing the Sharks, but in terms of the goalies out there, Niemmi doesn't scare me much. He didn't impress me that much last playoffs, especially in the finals.

One of the things that scares me about the Sharks is how damn fast they are. Our forwards are okay, but the Wings blueline is not particularly quick footed.

#155 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,826 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:44 AM

Very interested to see how LA responds to that debacle the last game.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#156 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:48 AM

The Sharks and Wings are both shaky in net and the Wings have substantially more depth. I have no worries in beating the Sharks, if they can still even pull out a win against the Kings.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#157 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:59 AM

Wings won't beat Sharks if they have to defend 2 to 4 minutes of full 5-on-3 every game. Also, hate to say this, but Wings should play Sharks game by diving or whipping the head back everytime a player gets their stick up to draw a penalty. Worked for Sharks last year... and Sharks fans can't complain about it because that's how their team wins games.

#158 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,584 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:04 AM

I think the Wings can beat any team in the playoffs if they stick to consistency and their game. But I still have nightmares from that San Jose series last year. Pavelski is a beast, Clowe is always dangerous, and they've shown they can win tight OT games.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#159 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:20 AM

Hudler is not scared of the Sharks.

Posted Image

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#160 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings