• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
unsaddleddonald

Weekend Afternoon Games in the Playoffs

Rate this topic

Do you guys notice that in every playoff series for what seems to be forever, the Wings get stuck playing afternoon games at home on the weekend? If i'm not mistaken, i've heard before that hockey players generally agree that it is difficult to get up for afternoon games compared to night games. If true, it sucks because home ice at the Joe is lessened due to players not being 100% ready and pumped to play the game. I assume the Wings always get these games due to the fact that they are nationally televised and the Wings are a big draw. And lets not forget, the Wings lost the two afternoon playoff games they played in last year, games 3 and 6 to phoenix.

Edited by unsaddleddonald

I think you answered your own question. They draw the biggest national audience

Yeah, i just think its stupid sometimes. We start wednesday so (Hank's recovery asside) we should be playing Friday night. boston and montreal are playing saturday on the east coast, stick them on NBC.

Do you guys notice that in every playoff series for what seems to be forever, the Wings get stuck playing afternoon games at home on the weekend? If i'm not mistaken, i've heard before that hockey players generally agree that it is difficult to get up for afternoon games compared to night games. If true, it sucks because home ice at the Joe is lessened due to players not being 100% ready and pumped to play the game. I assume the Wings always get these games due to the fact that they are nationally televised and the Wings are a big draw. And lets not forget, the Wings lost the two afternoon playoff games they played in last year, games 3 and 6 to phoenix.

The Wings didn't get an afternoon game scheduled so far this year. Afternoon games are ok with me. Especially if they are supposed to be played in Phoenix. Then I can watch them and not have to go into work exhausted the next day.

well, the afternoon games affect both teams, so there is no advantage one way or the other. Both teams have to wake up early, both have to switch their routines around to get amped up to play at lunchtime.

That being said, they have 2 whole days off before that, so fatigue should not be a problem for saturday's game

on the other hand, we in Europe get a chance to watch some game in the normal hours, rather than deep in the night.

considering the number of European players on Wings roster, this is a nice have for lot of guys in Sweden, Finland or Czech Republic.

as for our series - for Phoenix guys this would be like 10.00 in the morning, not nearly the time when my stomach and brain function correctly. talk about bad luck...

From my understanding, a lot of players actually like playing the afternoon games because then they don't have to sit all day thinking about the game. Pavs said after the game yesterday he prefers afternoon games. So, if players like them more, than so do I.

Nothing is as bad as having to play back to back SCF games because NBC said so. I actually don't mind the afternoon games, from a fan perspective. Watch the game, get the party started early. As said above, I don't think fatigue will be an issue with 2 days between games.