• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
hockey&beer

Black Aces Announced

Rate this topic

http://www.mlive.com/griffins/index.ssf/2011/04/red_wings_recall_15_griffins_t.html

Looks like the Wings are either going into the POs pretty banged up or plan on getting these kids a good look at Detroit playoff hockey. Have they ever called up this many? I usually only recall 6 or 8 (that could be because GR was in the playoffs themselves)

I think it's probably due to GR not making the playoffs (I dont follow GR too closely so I cant speak for previous years). But I dont really see any harm in calling up as many players as they can, I doubt any of them will see any time at all unless there are injuries (maybe an exception for Mursak if the team needs a boost). But why not bring them all up, let them see what Red Wings hockey is all about and then have them come into training camp next year with even more motivation to make the team.

I could see Smith seeing action if Salei and Kindl arent hacking it. Or getting dressed and not played really unles its a blowout or something. Put him out there and let him and Abby send a message to the coyotes if they try any funny stuff

I could see Smith seeing action if Salei and Kindl arent hacking it. Or getting dressed and not played really unles its a blowout or something. Put him out there and let him and Abby send a message to the coyotes if they try any funny stuff

watching the D pairing of salei and kindl is depressing.

watching the D pairing of salei and kindl is depressing.

I never notice the Wings "call up" the coaches, medical and equipment guys, too. How does that work?

Because they aren't under the contract of the Wings. Those personnel work for the Griffins and not the Wings. It wouldn't make sense to have your employees going to another company.

No Nyquist? :(

He's not under contract until July 1st. I would assume the Wings probably have given him tickets right near where the other Black Aces will be sitting, though ;).

I couldn't. Smith will be solid, but he's not NHL-ready and certainly isn't playoff ready.

Because they aren't under the contract of the Wings. Those personnel work for the Griffins and not the Wings. It wouldn't make sense to have your employees going to another company.

Fraser and a couple others will be working for the Wings throughout the playoffs.

Edited with link

Edited by wingsdiehard13

Black aces are called up every year. Helm and Abdelkader were special circumstances, none of the Black Aces will see the ice during the playoffs. The Wings just like to get them and the GR coaching staff up to let them get a feel of what it's like and also to help out by giving the best looks that they can at practise during the playoffs. Love the concept, but lets not go crazy here folks :thumbup:

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan

I couldn't. Smith will be solid, but he's not NHL-ready and certainly isn't playoff ready.

Janik and Meech are the obvious choices. Each has a few NHL playoff games of experience, and have played at least two full seasons on an NHL roster. Meech holds the advantage in that he was on the Wings' roster for 07-08, 08-09, and 09-10; putting him as part of a very talented defensive corps which went to the finals twice in a row.

Or we could go based on Cup rings, and pick Meech.

Janik and Meech are the obvious choices. Each has a few NHL playoff games of experience, and have played at least two full seasons on an NHL roster. Meech holds the advantage in that he was on the Wings' roster for 07-08, 08-09, and 09-10; putting him as part of a very talented defensive corps which went to the finals twice in a row.

Or we could go based on Cup rings, and pick Meech.

Thats true I forgot about him. Thats if he makes it through re entry waivers though

Thats true I forgot about him. Thats if he makes it through re entry waivers though

Re-entry waivers are likely why Janik saw time instead of Meech this season when a call-up was needed. Janik is 31, while Meech turns 27 in less than two weeks. But we don't have to worry about that anymore, so Meech in the postseason is quite possible.