• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Aussie_Wing

What line-up do you want to see?

Rate this topic

With Zetterberg out, it's a question of who is our second line centre. With Filppula recently slumping, Abdelkader has often found himself centering the second line, but I noticed that he and Flip rotated in and out of that spot in our final regular season game against Chicago. I think Cleary is a must with Filppula because Cleary's energy is infectious, and when Flip is playing hard and using the body, that’s when he plays his best hockey. The third line on Sunday started as Huds/Flip/Miller, before Flip took shifts on the second with Cleary and Bert. Flip assisted on Miller’s goal, and he was on the ice for Cleary’s GWG.

I think come Wednesday Babcock will go safety first and have Flip on the second line. So the other question is which wing plays on which line? I can’t see any other choice but to put Holmstrom on the top line with Dats. And then there’s the question of who is our last forward. With Zetternerg injured we have 13 fit forwards, so one must sit. I think it’s between Modano, Miller and Draper. Personally I thought Miller was terrific against Chicago, in fact the last two games against Chicago he was one of our better players so he gets rewarded with a spot in Game 1. I think Draper makes that effective fourth line with Helm and Eaves, so he gets that final forward spot, meaning Modano watches on. I know in reality Modano won’t sit, we wouldn’t sit a guy we signed almost especially for this very situation, but nothing about his play suggests he deserves a spot. I’d actually have Mursak on the 4th line with Helm and Eaves, think of the speed and energy, but that’s a long shot, at least until others stink it up we’ve got little choice.

So this is how I see it, along with Salei as the 6th defenceman instead of Kindl (another one I’m not verly happy about):

Franzen – Datsyuk – Holmstrom

Cleary – Filppula – Bertuzzi

Hudler – Abdelkader – Miller

Draper – Helm – Eaves

Modano, Mursak

Franzen-Datsyuk-Cleary

Bertuzzi-Filppula-Hudler

Abdelkader-Modano-Holmstrom

Draper-Helm-Eaves

Truthfully, I loved the Mule-Fritters-Bert line but I know it won't happen. It just provided a lot of problems matchup wise to the other teams and gave Pav and his line a bit of rest against the top line. With Hank out this presents the issue and that 3rd line to me looks a tad nauseating. I really hope Modano can elevate to the caliber of player he has been. Experience normally helps this time of year and he has looked alright as of late.

EDIT: Woops, sorry Homer... :lol: Drew gets the healthy scratch assuming Patty Sunshine is back in. That first line could be super clutch when they need to be.

Edited by HankthaTank

Any one who didnt take notice of Modano's very low ice time in Detroit's last game of the season against Chicago might be interested to know that he received the least amoutn of ice time of any forward which obviously included the likes of Drew Miller, Jiri Hudler and co. Modano and his experience will most likely keep him in the line up, as will Draper's, to start the playoffs which means most likely it's Drew Miller who is scratched. But don't forget that Patrick Eaves missed the Chicago game with flu like symptoms so he's no guarantee for Wed.

I think Detroit gets the most out of Drew Miller when he feels as though he has something to prove. Once he plays a few games in a row he seems to lose a bti of jump. When he gets in and out of the line up he has a bit more to offer. I'd go with:

Franzen - Datsyuk - Cleary

Bertuzzi - Filppula - Hudler

Modano - Abdelkader - Holmstrom

Draper - Helm - Eaves

Miller, Zetterberg (inj)

Also, Kindl received the least ice time, while Ericsson and Stuart lead, of all the defensemen in the last game as well. That may be an indicator of Babcock swaying towards going with Salei as that Chicago game was the closest thing to a playoff game we've seen so far.

Lidstrom - Kronwall

Rafalski - Stuart

Ericsson - Salei

To start with these D pairings

Hudler - Datsyuk - Cleary

Bertuzzi - Filppula - Franzen

Modano - Abdelkader - Holmstrom

Draper - Helm - Eaves

I think hudler played really well with dats earlier in the season, and the bff line was doing awesome for a while too.

Hudler Datsyuk Cleary

Bert Abby Franzen

Homer Flip Modano

Drapes Helm Eaves

That first line had great chemistry earlier in the season, and lately so had that second line. ALso having those big bodies matched up with Yandle probably, Abby can go wild. I would match that line up with Doan a bit too.

The third line is a little iffy but oh well.

Classic 4th line, speed, some grit, ability to chip in a bit.

The only change I would make is moving Cleary onto the Abdelkader line and moving one of the wingers up with Datsyuk

EDIT: Should have read the post above mine lol

Edited by newfy

Practice today per Detnews.com

http://detnews.com/article/20110412/SPORTS0103/104120401/1128/SPORTS0103/Will-Wings’-Henrik-Zetterberg-play-vs.-Coyotes?-‘It-s-tough-to-say’

Top two lines:

Mule - Dats - Holmstrom

Bert - Abby - Cleary

Hopefully the bottom two look like this:

Modano - Filpulla - Hudler

Draper - Helm - Eaves

Miller

with Eaves/Draper/Hudler(depending on his performance) rotating with Miller.

Guest blueadams

non-hank lines:

...Offensively, with Hank out, I think that our thinking should be as follows: Two scoring lines, a grind line, and subs.

-Line 1: Hudler's been incredible with Pav - and worthless without him - all season, so I'd put those two together on the first scoring line no matter what, probably with Cleary in front to start.

-Line 2: In most trial runs throughout this season, and in those past, Flip's had a great deal of success in between Mule and Bert, so I'd put them out there together as well.

-Line 3: Draper-Helm-Eaves has kind of been our go-to reliable defensive line for the past two seasons (and maybe our best overall line through a stretch of injuries last season), so I'd put them out there together as well, at least to start.

-Subs: I'd put Homer in front of the net on the 1st PP, and in for Cleary on the first line from time to time (bumping Cleary to the third line with Helm and Eaves). I'd put Modano on the point of the 2nd PP, and in for Hudler on the first line from time to time. And then I'd use Abby or Miller on the PK, and in for Draper on the third line from time to time.

Hudler-Datsyuk-Cleary

Franzen-Filppula-Bertuzzi

Draper-Helm-Eaves

Modano-Abdelkader-Holmstrom

Miller

...Defensively, given all of our struggles throughout the season (mental breakdowns, for the most part), if I'm Babs, I'd just get back to the basics and go with what we know works - Lidstrom and Rafalski for 25 minutes, Kronwall and Stuart for 25 minutes, and Ericsson and Salei for 10 minutes (or less, if possible)

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Ericsson-Salei

Kindl

I LOVE those odds!

huds dats clears -primary scoring

franzen flip homer -flip has to step up huge here secondary scoring

bert modano abs -knock everyone out while modano stays back

draper helm eaves -hit hit grind grind score occasionally

lids ericsson

kron stu

kindl raf

salei you are scratched

Practice today per Detnews.com

http://detnews.com/article/20110412/SPORTS0103/104120401/1128/SPORTS0103/Will-Wings’-Henrik-Zetterberg-play-vs.-Coyotes?-‘It-s-tough-to-say’

Top two lines:

Mule - Dats - Holmstrom

Bert - Abby - Cleary

Hopefully the bottom two look like this:

Modano - Filpulla - Hudler

Draper - Helm - Eaves

Miller

with Eaves/Draper/Hudler(depending on his performance) rotating with Miller.

Abby on the second line? I like this...

non-hank lines:

...Offensively, with Hank out, I think that our thinking should be as follows: Two scoring lines, a grind line, and subs.

-Line 1: Hudler's been incredible with Pav - and worthless without him - all season, so I'd put those two together on the first scoring line no matter what, probably with Cleary in front to start.

Hudler has been one of team's best forwards since Christmas, even while Dats was watching games. That said, the Hudler/Datsyuk/Cleary line was easily the best combination Babcock put on the ice this season, and needs to be put back together because the line was broken up because all three were playing well, and other guys (notably Franzen) were not.

Hudler-Datsyuk-Cleary

Franzen-Filppula-Bertuzzi

Draper-Helm-Eaves

Modano-Abdelkader-Holmstrom

Miller

With the way Abby has been playing, I don't see him being relegated to a trash line that can't check or play defense, and doesn't have the right pieces to serve as a functioning scoring line in the Wings' system. More likely we'd see:

Hudler/Datsyuk/Holmstrom

Franzen/Filppula/Bertuzzi

Cleary/Modano/Eaves

Draper/Helm/Abdelkader

This puts out a third line with speed and scoring ability, with the ability to play some defense. It also puts out a proven fourth line that is very physical.

...Defensively, given all of our struggles throughout the season (mental breakdowns, for the most part), if I'm Babs, I'd just get back to the basics and go with what we know works - Lidstrom and Rafalski for 25 minutes, Kronwall and Stuart for 25 minutes, and Ericsson and Salei for 10 minutes (or less, if possible)

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Ericsson-Salei

Kindl

I am definitely in agreement with breaking up the Lidstrom/Stuart pairing; I think it has been a huge failure. Stuart has put out his worst defensive performance as a Wing and his offensive performance tapered off after a hot start. I also don't think Salei has performed well; this poses a problem when putting together the pairings. If Salei performed like the Salei of 2-3 years ago, then your pairs are wonderful. But I would rather have Kindl in; and I don't want a Kindl-Ericsson pairing. So I have these options:

Lidstrom/Kindl

Kronwall/Stuart

Ericsson/Rafalski

Lidstrom/Rafalski

Kronwall/Ericsson

Kindl/Stuart

Lidstrom/Ericsson

Kronwall/Kindl

Stuart/Rafalski

Another debateable point is this; why not move Rafalski to the left side? The Wings' offense is supposed to flow based on puck control and smooth passing, but it's not a Bobby Orr/Paul Coffey environment where the defenseman is supposed to be carrying the puck. The idea is that the defenseman provides a quick, accurate breakout pass to the forwards. Opening up Rafalski's stick to the middle of the ice provides better passing lanes. It also places him so that he is already in "shooting position" when the Wings have control in the zone.

Edited by eva unit zero

Especially for the playoffs.

We don't need a playoff choker like Franzen in the lineup.

Well I'm all for him Flipping a switch and becoming a puck monster and going to the net after playing like a girl and producing 2 incredible goals over the last 28 games.

Guest blueadams

Hudler has been one of team's best forwards since Christmas, even while Dats was watching games. That said, the Hudler/Datsyuk/Cleary line was easily the best combination Babcock put on the ice this season, and needs to be put back together because the line was broken up because all three were playing well, and other guys (notably Franzen) were not.

With the way Abby has been playing, I don't see him being relegated to a trash line that can't check or play defense, and doesn't have the right pieces to serve as a functioning scoring line in the Wings' system. More likely we'd see:

Hudler/Datsyuk/Holmstrom

Franzen/Filppula/Bertuzzi

Cleary/Modano/Eaves

Draper/Helm/Abdelkader

This puts out a third line with speed and scoring ability, with the ability to play some defense. It also puts out a proven fourth line that is very physical.

I am definitely in agreement with breaking up the Lidstrom/Stuart pairing; I think it has been a huge failure. Stuart has put out his worst defensive performance as a Wing and his offensive performance tapered off after a hot start. I also don't think Salei has performed well; this poses a problem when putting together the pairings. If Salei performed like the Salei of 2-3 years ago, then your pairs are wonderful. But I would rather have Kindl in; and I don't want a Kindl-Ericsson pairing. So I have these options:

Lidstrom/Kindl

Kronwall/Stuart

Ericsson/Rafalski

Lidstrom/Rafalski

Kronwall/Ericsson

Kindl/Stuart

Lidstrom/Ericsson

Kronwall/Kindl

Stuart/Rafalski

Another debateable point is this; why not move Rafalski to the left side? The Wings' offense is supposed to flow based on puck control and smooth passing, but it's not a Bobby Orr/Paul Coffey environment where the defenseman is supposed to be carrying the puck. The idea is that the defenseman provides a quick, accurate breakout pass to the forwards. Opening up Rafalski's stick to the middle of the ice provides better passing lanes. It also places him so that he is already in "shooting position" when the Wings have control in the zone.

I've since decided that I don't like Ericsson and Salei together either, even for 10 minutes. Now I'm thinking along the same lines as I was with the forwards. Two pairings, and substitutions. 25 minutes each for Lids, Raffy, Kronner, Stuie. 10 minutes each for Salei and Ericsson. Salei can safely get his time in with anyone. Ericsson can probably only safely get his time in with Lids.

Well I'm all for him Flipping a switch and becoming a puck monster and going to the net after playing like a girl and producing 2 incredible goals over the last 28 games.

There are three types of players.

1. Those who produce in the regular season

2. Those who produce in the post season

3. Those who produce in both

We know what category Franzen is in.