• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DanZ

Datsyuk's Time to Become a Playoff Legend

Rate this topic

Datsyuk has always been under Zetterberg in the playoffs. Zetterberg has always been the leader and the dominant force both offensively and defensively. Datsyuk has had a few good runs in the past, but I feel that with Zetterberg's injury, Datsyuk has the perfect opportunity to put the team on his back in the playoffs and take them deep. I think Zetterberg's injury will end up being longer than we expect, as it goes with these "day-to-day" things. I am not saying Datsyuk hasn't performed well in the playoffs before, but he has never really been "the guy" for an extended period of time IN THE PLAYOFFS. I think it is a challenge that Datsyuk realizes and he will live up to. I am excited to see what he can do and I am excited to see Datsyuk play Wednesday.

agreed.

I also think people are getting worried a little to early. This is only game 1 and probably game 2 he is going to miss. If we can win the first 2, im not worried until he misses game 5.

I think having Z gone as opposed to Datsyuk gone is a bigger difference than everyone thinks, and less of a disadvantage to us. I think Dats has way more of an impact on the ice than Z does at times. Seeing some of the s*** he was doing on Sunday was ridiculous. We also do a better job in the neutral zone with Dats in the lineup, then we dont have to do that dump and chase garbage.

EDIT: and by doing better in the neutral zone, I mean that defensively Dats is a better back checker, and he seems to be able to carry the puck through the zone better.

Edited by Din758

I'm actually expecting Filppula to step up and try to play Zetterberg's role until he comes back. Granted, they're not the same caliber of player, but I think he will do a good enough job until Z gets back.

I have no doubt that Datsyuk will step up. It's going to come down to the defense and goaltending in this series.

I think I'm most excited about Bertuzzi, actually. The past two weeks or so, he seems to have really started warming up for the playoffs by playing hard, physical hockey. The guy got in two fights, has been laying guys out with highlight reel hits, and has been driving to the net hard. I expect him to be a difference maker this year, and judging from his game the past two weeks, it seems he expects that of himself.

Dats has been having a fantastic year so far, and he's had a little more time to rest up recently than most of the guys, so I really think he's going to be hot to trot (or...something). If he just keeps going like he has been, it's definitely going to be a great playoffs for him.

i hope Dats plays every playoff game like he played game 82 dangling around everyone on the ice. the s*** he did in that game gave me a hard on. i would love nothing more than for Dats to steal the show and get 40 pts and snag the conn smythe. my boy Z already has one. that would solidify Dats as "The s***" literally if he could do that. dude's got skills.

There's no denying how good offensively Zetterberg has been in the playoff's the last few years but to me with the offense the Wings have this year the biggest loss with him out of the line up would be his ability to shut down the opposing team's top player. He's shown on several occassions his ability to shut down the league's best players while still putting up great numbers himself. The fact that Phoenix scores by committee I think Zetterberg's absence will be less of a factor. The Wings' offence can still roll in this series but even with Hank in the line up the only way this Wings team does anything in the playoffs is with an increased commitment to team defense. There is no star on the Phoenix squad, save for Shane Doan (which he is far from an elite scorer) for Detroit/Zetterberg to worry about shadowing or shutting down. Babcock doesn't have to worry a great deal about matching forward lines. He will most likely only look to match his shut down D pair against the Doan line

I'm actually expecting Filppula to step up and try to play Zetterberg's role until he comes back. Granted, they're not the same caliber of player, but I think he will do a good enough job until Z gets back.

I have no doubt that Datsyuk will step up. It's going to come down to the defense and goaltending in this series.

thats what im expecting as well. flip should be the one to step up. i have to admit flip has looked s***ty since Z went down. hope he can step it up defensively anyway.

Datsyuk will only become a playoff legend if he keeps on playing with Hudler. You all know it's true.

Seriously, I'm not concerned about Dats' playoff performance. He's not Z in the postseason, but that's like saying Yzerman wasn't Gretzky offensively. The guys I am concerned about are Filppula and Franzen; they are big parts of the team and have not played well down the stretch. Yes, Franzen has made his name as a playoff beast, but that doesn't give him a pass; Fedorov holds the record for most consecutive 20-point playoff seasons (4, 1995-1998), yet when the playoffs rolled around a big topic was always "Will Fedorov show up?" even though he was the best clutch forward of the 90s. Franzen has a tendency to pop into "playoff mode", but he's been floating a lot more this season which worries me.

Datsyuk will only become a playoff legend if he keeps on playing with Hudler. You all know it's true.

Eva, please tell me your being sarcastic.

Kevin Stevens didn't make Mario Lemieux legendary. Same goes here.

I followed that up with this:

Seriously, I'm not concerned about Dats' playoff performance.

And that didn't tell you I was being sarcastic? I know some reading comprehension teachers you may want to get in touch with.