• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 wingsdiehard13

wingsdiehard13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 07:29 PM

By rules a team can only move up 4 spots, so even though the Devils won the lottery they pick 4th.

**Thanks Offsides**
**Thanks TeeMan**

#2 Tr!PoD#19

Tr!PoD#19

Troll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 07:31 PM

Sucks to be Ottawa.

#3 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:04 PM

then why have a draft lottery in the first place?

This might be getting a little heated. Just know I don't hate any of you guys.

That doesn't mean that I respect ideas & opinions. Some ideas & opinions are ridiculous.

In fact, if you confront my ideas & opinions, that will lead to a discussion. (We're on a discussion board after all. Don't forget that!)

:bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1:

#4 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:06 PM

then why have a draft lottery in the first place?

to tease each and every sucky team from the season, and to make the worst hit their head again and again against the table.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#5 wingsdiehard13

wingsdiehard13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:17 PM

It's a dumb rule. If you win the lottery you should pick 1st. The worst teams still have an overwhelming chance to pick higher.

**Thanks Offsides**
**Thanks TeeMan**

#6 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 18,827 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:31 PM

lol @ Ottawa. :siren:

#NOMOREKINDL

#7 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:45 PM

It's a dumb rule. If you win the lottery you should pick 1st. The worst teams still have an overwhelming chance to pick higher.

I disagree. It promotes intentional tanking if the team with the lowest record picks first. The only two intentional tankings were coincidentally done by the same team and it worked out for them both times.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#8 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:47 PM

Ottawa :ph34r:
IPB Image

#9 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:50 PM

I'm so glad Im not 100% on how the lottery system works in the NHL. Thank you, Mr. Holland.
*this space for rent*

#10 softshoes

softshoes

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:53 PM

I disagree. It promotes intentional tanking if the team with the lowest record picks first. The only two intentional tankings were coincidentally done by the same team and it worked out for them both times.

This
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f***in beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then you got more punishment in store.Stand it like a man, and give some back."

- Al Swearengen

#11 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:56 PM

Anyone know how this draft class is looking deptch-wise?

St.Louis ended up 11th, so that pick goes to the Avs. Maybe not enough to even up the Stewart trade considering they're giving up the 32 pick, but it's something.

#12 wingsdiehard13

wingsdiehard13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:00 PM

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Are you in favor of teams tanking? Or am I misinterpreting?

**Thanks Offsides**
**Thanks TeeMan**

#13 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:33 PM

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Are you in favor of teams tanking? Or am I misinterpreting?

I'm not quite sure what the other poster means either... With the current system, only the worst four teams really have a shot at the first pick, but if you made it so that the worst 14 all had a shot at the number 1 pick, wouldn't that make it less likely for teams to purposely tank? I mean, at least to the point of being the worst in the league. You might see more fringe playoff teams "take it easy" at the end of the season if they don't feel they'll make the playoffs, but they'd still only have a 1/14 chance of getting that high pick. Them ain't good odds.

#14 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:14 PM

Tanking is bad. If you know you have the first pick if you have the worst record, that would promote tanking.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#15 wingsdiehard13

wingsdiehard13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:33 PM

Tanking is bad. If you know you have the first pick if you have the worst record, that would promote tanking.

All I said was that "if you win the lottery you should pick 1st." I just don't think having a 3.6% to get the first pick will promote tanking.

If there is going to be a lottery then every team in the lottery should have a chance at first instead of moving up only four spots. The Devils had a 3.6% chance of winning. It's not going to happen very often. The Oilers are going to end up like the Penguins, complied of top picks. Is that really how a team should be built? It doesn't take a whole lot of talent to select near can't miss prospects.

**Thanks Offsides**
**Thanks TeeMan**

#16 Manoir

Manoir

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:06 AM

I think it would be kind of cool if every team was in the lottery and each had a 1/30 chance of getting the top pick.All selections from 1-30 are determined via the lottery, not your position in the standings. With a cap in place, why should the poor teams be rewarded? It would force the bottom teams to be creative in trying to be contenders, rather than just accumulating top picks like the Oilers. Trades for 1st round picks would be interesting too, a team giving up a 1st is potentially giving away the top pick. Also, it could help teams who have to break-up a winner due to cap issues, now they can possibly have a top pick to replace the departed free agents.

#17 wingsdiehard13

wingsdiehard13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:46 AM

I think it would be kind of cool if every team was in the lottery and each had a 1/30 chance of getting the top pick.All selections from 1-30 are determined via the lottery, not your position in the standings. With a cap in place, why should the poor teams be rewarded? It would force the bottom teams to be creative in trying to be contenders, rather than just accumulating top picks like the Oilers. Trades for 1st round picks would be interesting too, a team giving up a 1st is potentially giving away the top pick. Also, it could help teams who have to break-up a winner due to cap issues, now they can possibly have a top pick to replace the departed free agents.

That would completely eliminate parity which is something that the league has fallen in love with. Even though your idea would be great for teams like the Wings, it's just not going to happen. It would make things interesting though.

**Thanks Offsides**
**Thanks TeeMan**