• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingsdiehard13

New Jersey Devils win Draft Lottery

Rate this topic

It's a dumb rule. If you win the lottery you should pick 1st. The worst teams still have an overwhelming chance to pick higher.

I disagree. It promotes intentional tanking if the team with the lowest record picks first. The only two intentional tankings were coincidentally done by the same team and it worked out for them both times.

I disagree. It promotes intentional tanking if the team with the lowest record picks first. The only two intentional tankings were coincidentally done by the same team and it worked out for them both times.

This

Anyone know how this draft class is looking deptch-wise?

St.Louis ended up 11th, so that pick goes to the Avs. Maybe not enough to even up the Stewart trade considering they're giving up the 32 pick, but it's something.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Are you in favor of teams tanking? Or am I misinterpreting?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Are you in favor of teams tanking? Or am I misinterpreting?

I'm not quite sure what the other poster means either... With the current system, only the worst four teams really have a shot at the first pick, but if you made it so that the worst 14 all had a shot at the number 1 pick, wouldn't that make it less likely for teams to purposely tank? I mean, at least to the point of being the worst in the league. You might see more fringe playoff teams "take it easy" at the end of the season if they don't feel they'll make the playoffs, but they'd still only have a 1/14 chance of getting that high pick. Them ain't good odds.

Tanking is bad. If you know you have the first pick if you have the worst record, that would promote tanking.

Tanking is bad. If you know you have the first pick if you have the worst record, that would promote tanking.

All I said was that "if you win the lottery you should pick 1st." I just don't think having a 3.6% to get the first pick will promote tanking.

If there is going to be a lottery then every team in the lottery should have a chance at first instead of moving up only four spots. The Devils had a 3.6% chance of winning. It's not going to happen very often. The Oilers are going to end up like the Penguins, complied of top picks. Is that really how a team should be built? It doesn't take a whole lot of talent to select near can't miss prospects.

I think it would be kind of cool if every team was in the lottery and each had a 1/30 chance of getting the top pick.All selections from 1-30 are determined via the lottery, not your position in the standings. With a cap in place, why should the poor teams be rewarded? It would force the bottom teams to be creative in trying to be contenders, rather than just accumulating top picks like the Oilers. Trades for 1st round picks would be interesting too, a team giving up a 1st is potentially giving away the top pick. Also, it could help teams who have to break-up a winner due to cap issues, now they can possibly have a top pick to replace the departed free agents.

I think it would be kind of cool if every team was in the lottery and each had a 1/30 chance of getting the top pick.All selections from 1-30 are determined via the lottery, not your position in the standings. With a cap in place, why should the poor teams be rewarded? It would force the bottom teams to be creative in trying to be contenders, rather than just accumulating top picks like the Oilers. Trades for 1st round picks would be interesting too, a team giving up a 1st is potentially giving away the top pick. Also, it could help teams who have to break-up a winner due to cap issues, now they can possibly have a top pick to replace the departed free agents.

That would completely eliminate parity which is something that the league has fallen in love with. Even though your idea would be great for teams like the Wings, it's just not going to happen. It would make things interesting though.