• Please log in to reply
961 replies to this topic

#881 casey holmstrom

casey holmstrom

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:55 PM

Great game boys, way to start the playoffs!
Posted Image

#882 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:55 PM

Man what a nice start to the playoffs. First period was a bit shaky but I wasn't really worried since it wasn't a lack of fire but more a lack of composure. And they found that in the 2nd period and from that point on it was just classic Red Wings hockey. Phoenix never really had anything to answer with, even though they did score one.

I still think the Yotes are a tough opponent and this series COULD be a long one. However, this is exactly the way the Wings needed to open the series in order to not give the Yotes any big confidence boost.

Some notes:

* Great game. Very entertaining, especially the first 2 periods, despite all the penalties in the 1st. Playoff hockey, love it.

* Mule looks like he flicked the switch and is in playoff mode. He took the puck to the net, he shot it, he made plays, basically he looked more interested than he's done since he had that 5 goal game months ago.

* Pavel, as usual, was amazing. I noticed him falling down a lot but that might have just been because he was playing with a lot of effort and desperation. So many nice steals, shots, passes etc. We're looking for him to lead the team in the absence of Z, and he definitely did that.

* Howard kept the team in it during the 1st and beginning of the 2nd. Some huge saves.

* I wouldn't be against playing Modano over Miller next game.

#883 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:56 PM

hey everybody wings won at home!

#884 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:57 PM

hey everybody wings won at home!

fo real!?
Posted Image

#885 wingnut40

wingnut40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:58 PM

Why is Franzen wearing Hank's hat?? :huh:
Go rest high on that mountain, cause son your work on Earth is done. Go to Heaven a'shouting love for the Father and the Son. Ruslan Salei, Brad McCrimmon, Stefan Liv, Pavol Demitra, and the entire Lokomotiv team.

#886 Firehawk

Firehawk

Don't Touch My Pop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:58 PM

Did something happen with homer? I saw a post asking earlier. I did'nt notice any issue with Homer, and don't remember Ken and Mick saying anything.
U GUYS ARE FUKIN ANYOING IM GONNA COME DOWN THERE AND KILL ALL YALL THE ONLY THING THAT SAVED UR TEAM WAS OSGOOD AND OSSGOOD SUKS 2 JUST LIKE UR WHOLE FUKIN TEAM I HOPE U HEARD THIS AND THINK CAUSE ALL I GOT TO SAY TO U IS UR A BUNCH OF FUKIN IDIOTS BARONS A HOOSER CUSE HE WENT TO UR TEAM AND I HOPE U GUYS SHOULD SEND UR TEAM TO ANOTHER CITY CAUSE U GUYS ARE A BUNCH OF FUKIN WHINERS GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! --- A canucks fan on stltoday.com

This was so funny I had to set it as my sig.

#887 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:59 PM

Nothing negative to take from this, everyone stepped up, all lines firing and making things happen. Love the composure of everybody.

-Love that Bertuzzi is playing physical, recognizing the team has a need and he has the skill set to provide.

-Love that Datsyuk and Franzen are stepping up like they usually do but maybe some of us worried about (at least with Franzen).

-Love that Howard was great, except for the first goal.

-Love that Hudler got a goal. Not sure if this will start a trend but it's a good start.

-Love that the Wings are trying all sorts of shots: wraparounds, blue line shots, one timers, don't over-rely on one move like they have at times this season.

Man, what a great game, I really truly hope they keep this up. This was the Wings team we've all been waiting to see, that we've all been hoping would show up in playoff mode.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#888 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:00 PM

He's a fan? They want to feel like he's part of the game even though he can't play?

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#889 VanDer

VanDer

Irish Wing!

• PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:02 PM

Great to start the Playoffs with a good win :D

also is it just me or did Datsyuk fall over alot tonight?? :hehe:

#890 syntax

syntax

Join the Empire!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:02 PM

Mule lost his hat, Hank wasn't around so Mule stole Hank's hat from his locker.
The Vladinator He earned the NHL Plus/Minus Award in 1995-96, with a plus/minus difference of plus-60. The +60 has been the highest rating a player has finished with in the past 20 seasons, since Wayne Gretzky finished with a +70 in the 1986-87 NHL season

Pavel Datsyuk > x (where x is the name of any active hockey player)

#891 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:05 PM

Mule was a beast tonight, so was Pavs. Great game all around. A few gaffs early but they corrected it. Keep it up Wings! :thumbup:
Posted Image

#892 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:06 PM

Very glad to see Hudler get a goal as well.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#893 CanadaBoy

CanadaBoy

The Red Wing Ring

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:11 PM

Can't imagine how good the team will be when Hank returns.
But my most coveted thing is a high self-esteem
And a low tolerance for them telling me how to lean
See the most important parts are the ones that are unseen
The Wings don't make you fly and the Crown don't make you king
Now God don't like ugly, ain't too happy bout pretty
I am ignorance's enemy so stay out of the vicinity of...
~ Lupe Fiasco - Gold Watch

#894 jstwatchin

jstwatchin

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:12 PM

That was fun to watch. Jimmy was great ... Dats is sick!

#895 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:15 PM

Glad to hear Howie played well.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#896 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:15 PM

Did something happen with homer? I saw a post asking earlier. I did'nt notice any issue with Homer, and don't remember Ken and Mick saying anything.

Might just be Babs wanting to preserve the lead. Homer's not somebody you think about when maintaining a lead.

#897 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:16 PM

Might just be Babs wanting to preserve the lead. Homer's not somebody you think about when maintaining a lead.

:ph34r:

#898 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:44 PM

Just got back from the game. It was amazing. When we killed that 5 on 3 the whole crowd exploded in to cheers louder than I've ever heard in a long long time. And from that moment on it was just crazy. Only drawback was that I was looking for a phoenix fan to taunt, but then I remembered that there aren't any :lol:

Also I'm not a fan of Jimmy Howard, but I have to give him huge props. He played his heart out tonight and it was great to see him not give up a bad rebound.

*edit*

Oh and props to our defense too, especially the PK. Our PK was simply amazing and I think our defense as a whole played solid. A much refreshing change from the past few weeks.

Edited by CrimsonFlame, 13 April 2011 - 09:46 PM.

#899 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:44 PM

Just got back from the game. It was amazing. When we killed that 5 on 3 the whole crowd exploded in to cheers louder than I've ever heard in a long long time. And from that moment on it was just crazy. Only drawback was that I was looking for a phoenix fan to taunt, but then I remembered that there aren't any :lol:

Also I'm not a fan of Jimmy Howard, but I have to give him huge props. He played his heart out tonight and it was great to see him not give up a bad rebound.

Glad you had a good time and Detroit played well :thumbup:

#900 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:49 PM

Great to get the Game 1 win. If Z needs another night off, than we have a lead to play with.

I don't see this series being too long. Winnipeg, ooops did it again :hehe:, I mean Phoenix doesn't have the depth we do, and I think the only reason why last year went 7 games is because we were tired after 3 straight trips to the 3rd round at least.

Also, if Howard plays well, like he did tonight, look out, it'll be another couple months of Red Wings hockey in the spring.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons