• Please log in to reply
961 replies to this topic

#101 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,151 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 02:51 PM

Schneider was a flop because the Wings didn't win the Cup with him? He was very good for the Wings, and one of the league's best defensemen. You forget that the Wings also lost Hasek (and others) after the 02 Cup, and while Joseph was good he was not Hasek. Hatcher, otoh, was a massive flop. Modano is already a huge success compared to Hatcher.

Agreed. Schneider put up 40 to 50 points a season with the Wings, was their #2 dman and a key component of the puck moving defense. If that's a flop there's a hell of a lot of players who've been flops on the Wings. The fact that Holland went out and got a very similar style defenseman in Rafalski only shows how valuable he thought Schneider was to the Wing's success.

As for Hatcher, yeah he was a flop. I was looking forward to the Wings having someone big and nasty on the blueline, but it didn't work out. Hatch was never fast, but once he blew his ACL he went from slow to stationary.

I wouldn't call Modano a huge success, but not as big of a flop as Hatcher. The thing is, Hatcher was at least a player we could've used. Modano hasn't offered anything the Wings didn't already have.

#102 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:07 PM

ARE WE FEELING IT, WINGS FANS?!

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#103 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,246 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:12 PM

Agreed. Schneider put up 40 to 50 points a season with the Wings, was their #2 dman and a key component of the puck moving defense. If that's a flop there's a hell of a lot of players who've been flops on the Wings. The fact that Holland went out and got a very similar style defenseman in Rafalski only shows how valuable he thought Schneider was to the Wing's success.

As for Hatcher, yeah he was a flop. I was looking forward to the Wings having someone big and nasty on the blueline, but it didn't work out. Hatch was never fast, but once he blew his ACL he went from slow to stationary.

I wouldn't call Modano a huge success, but not as big of a flop as Hatcher. The thing is, Hatcher was at least a player we could've used. Modano hasn't offered anything the Wings didn't already have.

THANK you!! I said this when the signing frenzy was going on. Modano is not really a flop to me because I never expected anything from him. In fact, he's probably overachieved. :)
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#104 BamaWing

BamaWing

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:15 PM

I'm ready for to get this new season started. LGW

Posted Image

#105 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,104 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:25 PM

Wow i just noticed modano is scratched interesting

#106 Third Man In

Third Man In

Ready to rage.

• HoF Booster
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:28 PM

Let's Go Red Wings!
:clap: :clap:
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Let's Go Red Wings!
:clap: :clap:
:clap: :clap: :clap:
:octo: *splat* :octo: *splat*

Edited by Third Man In, 13 April 2011 - 03:31 PM.

"When you're a Detroit Red Wing, you don't want to go anywhere." -Kris Draper
Duty Calls

#107 Marck13

Marck13

Rookie

• Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 04:06 PM

:siren: :siren: :siren: Wuuuhuuu .. WE WIN BIG TONIGHT!! :siren: :siren: :siren:

..after all it's my birthday
"son of a puck"

#108 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 04:08 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Keep on keepin' on! One of the better pre-game GDT's I've seen going in some time.

The nerves are going nuts but I have faith, as I always do, in our boys to get the job done.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#109 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 04:10 PM

I said Modano was a huge success compared to Hatcher, which is true. Hatcher was worthless to the Wings, while Modano had a good stretch early on.

That said, I was never in favor of either signing. Modano because the Wings were already overloaded at forward and Modano didn't provide anything, and Hatcher because while it's nice to add him in theory, he was way too slow (pre-injury) for the Wings' system and didn't have the puck skills. If it were Kevin Hatcher at 31 (Derian Hatcher's age at the time of the signing) it would have been a great signing - Kevin was among the league's top offensive defensemen and had a big shot, was a huge physical force, a strong defensive presence, and one of the ten best defensemen in the league when he was 31. Add that to the Wings in 2003 instead of Derian and it's a whole different dynamic.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#110 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 04:18 PM

Lost post before I'm off to the Joe. GO WINGS

#111 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 04:18 PM

Tonight's referees are Paul Devorski and Steve Kozari
IPB Image

#112 Firehawk

Firehawk

Don't Touch My Pop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 04:39 PM

I cannot believe the playoffs are already here, and starting in less than 1 1/2 hours. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm staying up for the vancouver/chicago games as well. That one should be just as entertaining.
U GUYS ARE FUKIN ANYOING IM GONNA COME DOWN THERE AND KILL ALL YALL THE ONLY THING THAT SAVED UR TEAM WAS OSGOOD AND OSSGOOD SUKS 2 JUST LIKE UR WHOLE FUKIN TEAM I HOPE U HEARD THIS AND THINK CAUSE ALL I GOT TO SAY TO U IS UR A BUNCH OF FUKIN IDIOTS BARONS A HOOSER CUSE HE WENT TO UR TEAM AND I HOPE U GUYS SHOULD SEND UR TEAM TO ANOTHER CITY CAUSE U GUYS ARE A BUNCH OF FUKIN WHINERS GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! --- A canucks fan on stltoday.com

This was so funny I had to set it as my sig.

#113 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 04:47 PM

Last post and on my way. Everybody enjoy the game!!!!

Posted Image LGW!!!
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#114 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:03 PM

Schneider was a flop because the Wings didn't win the Cup with him? He was very good for the Wings, and one of the league's best defensemen. You forget that the Wings also lost Hasek (and others) after the 02 Cup, and while Joseph was good he was not Hasek. Hatcher, otoh, was a massive flop. Modano is already a huge success compared to Hatcher.

A voice of reason in reference to Schneider, people constantly seem to forget that he was excellent for the Wings during his time here.

Edited by Mors, 13 April 2011 - 05:04 PM.

#115 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:06 PM

Sucks the games not on CBC here. Stupid pens game will have to watch a stream.

I think the Wings win this 3-2, will be close.

Edited by 10 Minute Misconduct, 13 April 2011 - 05:06 PM.

Posted Image

#116 R-Dizzle

R-Dizzle

Just warming up

• Gold Booster
  • 625 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:13 PM

4-3 Wings is my prediction.

Edited by R-Dizzle, 13 April 2011 - 05:13 PM.

Posted Image

#117 pvilleguru

pvilleguru

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:19 PM

today has felt like christmas.

#118 Yc172

Yc172

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:23 PM

NEED HELP FAST!!

anyone know where I can get a live stream of the game? I'm desperate here in class without access to a tv.
LETS GO RED WINGS

#119 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:25 PM

:siren: :siren: :siren: Wuuuhuuu .. WE WIN BIG TONIGHT!! :siren: :siren: :siren:

..after all it's my birthday

Happy Birthday! It's my brothers birthday as well :siren:

#120 Yak19

Yak19

-Playmaker Elite-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:33 PM

GO WINGS!!!!!!