• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Nevermind

Modano a healthy scratch

Rate this topic

Sorry if this was posted elsewhere.

I think this is a very interesting move by Babcock. Maybe he's trying to get Modano pissed in order to give him a spark later on?

Link

Edited by Nevermind

Drew Miller definitely deserves some playing time. The same can obviously be said for Draper and Eaves (over Modano at this point). But I can't help but want to see Modano in the line up. He has long since been one of my favourite non-wing players since my childhood so it was pretty cool to see him sign here despite him being at the tail end of his career. That being said, I do think Miller will bring more to the line up tonight.

Not a fan of this move. I kind of understand it as Modano hasn't been great lately and this should be a physical series, but its the playoffs. This is why he's playing one more year. Give the guy a fighting chance to go out on top. Having said that, I think Modano will be dressing for the next game.

Modano hasn't been amazing, but he;s still a much better option than Miller. Dumb move IMO.

In a playoff style game like this getting chippy in the corners, hard checks, and even Miller's ability to go to the net highly outweigh what Modano has done of late. I feel the opposite with this.

I think this move is more about who the opponent is than what Modano has or has not done. It takes a good skating, gritty effort to beat Phoenix -- we saw that last year -- and Miller/Eaves/Draper all provide that high-energy type of grind-it-out play that Modano really doesn't.

I think this move is more about who the opponent is than what Modano has or has not done. It takes a good skating, gritty effort to beat Phoenix -- we saw that last year -- and Miller/Eaves/Draper all provide that high-energy type of grind-it-out play that Modano really doesn't.

Exactly. Not that Modano is like Jason Williams, but we started with Williams last year, regretted it, went with Abdelkader and he was a much better fit for that type of series.

Good stuff, I suspect Modano will be back in for Game 2 and at least it's a clear statement to him that he has to play better. He has been poor and although he obviously came for this time of year, I'm glad he's been scratched. It's not as if he's been on the league minimum to play here either.

Hopefully when he gets back in we see a different Modano than the one we've watched so far this season.

HA. Maybe this is what happens when you announce your retirement before the playoffs even start. That was kind of a dick move....

Wait.. how was it a dick move? I cant tell if that's sarcasm or not.

I dont think it's any surprise Modano wont be back next year and he is like 40.. whats the problem with being honest about it?

I am kind of on the line about this move. I partly like it because it is clearly a simple challenge from Babcock to Modano... a move to spark Modano and make him work harder when he plays in game 2. In that aspect, I like this move, however part of me thinks this was a dick move by Babcock because Modano is still better than Miller. I guess I will decide after game 2 when Modano plays whether I liked this move or not.

Wait.. how was it a dick move? I cant tell if that's sarcasm or not.

I dont think it's any surprise Modano wont be back next year and he is like 40.. whats the problem with being honest about it?

You dont make that kind of announcement before the end of the season. It's not a team kind of thing to say. I could see this miffing some red wings brass considering i think they were under the impression he may play next year....

Yeah, I was pretty stoked when the talk began of him probably being a Wing. But he has not been near the caliber player I thought, and he really doesn't get in the dirty areas very much. He needs to understand what needs to be done to win these games with the teams getting younger, faster and more aggressive every year. i haven't really paid attention but it has been a while since he has been in a playoff game hasn't it?

HA. Maybe this is what happens when you announce your retirement before the playoffs even start. That was kind of a dick move....

Money wise, Modano was playing for peanuts pretty much. So it's silly to get upset if you are approaching it from that angle.

Second, you're not going to get many to agree with you in all likelihood. Is it headline grabbing news? Sure. But I don't see anything on how this is a drama queen report or it's all about me or whatever. He's just simply saying it's probably time to hang them up, nothing more or less. If that's his decision, cool. Hopefully this means he'll bust his rear end off harder given it's probably his last shot, instead of mailing it in.

I'm having a hard time trying to follow your logic here.