• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
unsaddleddonald

Babcock's mancrush on Salei

Rate this topic

I don't get it. Salei has no skill set to offer. Its fitting that he wears #24 because he looks just as slow as Chelios. In the last game alone i counted 4 turnovers in our zone. Kindl at least brings a European skill set to the table. Am i the only one that doesn't understand Bab's obsession with playing Salei so much?!?!?

I personally think Salei has been doing fine this year, besides getting him cheap I think hes been doing alright... he's a great shutdown defensemen that was cheap on the market. You want to get a veteran defensemen for that much? And Babcock obsessing about him? Last time I checked Salei played almost all season and Babcock is making him fight for the 6th spot in the playoffs with a ROOKIE Kindl, but hey, we all have our opinions right? Wear's #24 because he's as slow as Chelios? My man, you obviously think we're the ******* Edmonton Oilers with our young skill set huh? You don't need speed when you have good positioning, atleast Salei backchecks with some heart unlike Rafi who just stares them down as they get a break... he'd rather change lines than to backcheck with the play on an odd man rush...

I personally think Salei has been doing fine this year, besides getting him cheap I think hes been doing alright... he's a great shutdown defensemen that was cheap on the market. You want to get a veteran defensemen for that much? And Babcock obsessing about him? Last time I checked Salei played almost all season and Babcock is making him fight for the 6th spot in the playoffs with a ROOKIE Kindl, but hey, we all have our opinions right? Wear's #24 because he's as slow as Chelios? My man, you obviously think we're the ******* Edmonton Oilers with our young skill set huh? You don't need speed when you have good positioning, atleast Salei backchecks with some heart unlike Rafi who just stares them down as they get a break... he'd rather change lines than to backcheck with the play on an odd man rush...

its not much of a fight when Kindl has looked better and still doesn't get the call.....

Experience wins out right now. I have to say I agree with Babs on this one. Salei's shot blocking and defensive play kind of outweigh Kindl's "euro style" as the OP suggests. Kindl's time is soon but Salei has to be #6 for now. It's only Round 1 Game 1, Babs will make changes if he has to. We wait and see.

its not much of a fight when Kindl has looked better and still doesn't get the call.....

Like I said earlier, Salei who is a veteran ed defensemen or Kindl who is a rookie plays for our #6 defensemen in the playoffs. I'm just saying I would take the experience more calm cool collected person who has experience with an playoff atmosphere and style hockey. Kindl may have looked good during the regular season when things werent up for grabs, but things change come playoffs. The smallest mistake can cost you your run at the cup. I'd feel safer with someone with experience holding the blue line. Sorry if i'm coming off harsh or assholey right now, its ~2 hours to puck drop and my testosterone levels peak an all time high before playoff hockey. I'll be jumping, screaming, punching alot of closet's during tonights game.

Guest CaliWingsNut

I agree that the Vet should be in as of right now

Drew miller has played in 38 post-season games. It's not like he's a rookie.

Mancrush?

Salei has no skill set at all to offer?

You realize the way you decided to put this, you just come off looking like some Kindl fanboy, who doesn't even watch much hockey, and who is butthurt Salei gets more ice time, right?

Salei is a veteran who also has experience playing for Babcock. Kindl is just a rookie. Just being European doesn't magically mean he should get the start.

Edited by sleepwalker

Is this the same Mike Babcock that's making Salei play for a spot against Kindl?

This.

Clearly it was a wakeup call to have a 13-year veteran fighting for his spot with a rookie. Kindl shows promise, but we're talking playoffs here. I've not been crazy about Salei's play, but he brings experience, penalty killing, and hopefully he'll spontaneously remember how to play with an edge.

and hopefully he'll spontaneously remember how to play with an edge.

i thought he played real physical and sometimes nasty wednesday night. i was thinking that whoever labeled him as "gritty" must have seen him in a playoff game.

i thought he played real physical and sometimes nasty wednesday night. i was thinking that whoever labeled him as "gritty" must have seen him in a playoff game.

Agreed.

I thought he stepped it up a notch last night. He was really good at engaging forwards around the net, and not letting them get position on him. I've been waiting to see him play like that all year. Hope he can keep it up.

As for moving the puck out of their zone, every defenseman had at least one bad outlet pass last night, even Big Nick.

I'm with the majority here. Experience wins out, until he loses his spot. I personally think Babcock said what he did about playing for his job, to light a fire under his ass, and step up his play. Between Sunday's game, and last nights game, it looks like it worked. Keep it up, Rusty.

That's definitely how he used to play, even during the regular season. At his age I guess ya gotta save it for the playoffs. Hopefully he keeps it up.

i'm kind of torn on this one. i like kindl and think personally that he's a better player than salei, but until one or more of salei's giveaways ends up in the Wings net, he'll be the 6th defenseman. until the Wings lose a game, and by more than 1 goal, don't reinvent the wheel...