• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Autika

So I got kidnapped last weekend.

Rate this topic

Guest Shoreline

This past Saturday I worked an 8 hour shift painting a factory. I got off around 5 pm and my girlfriend picked me up so we could get something to eat. We end up getting done around 7 pm, and she starts driving back to my place. I was quite tired and just wanted to go to bed. Just before we get to my subdivision she veers wildly right.

"Ummmmmm...... home is that way."

"I know."

"ok... where are we going?"

"you'll see."

She continues driving down route 74 towards Moline IL.

"Why are we going to Moline? there's nothing in Moline. Moline sucks."

"You'll see."

by this point we've been driving for about 20 minutes and I'm becoming quite paranoid from my lack of knowledge on my current situation.

"Are we going to be gone over night? I didn't bring my toothbrush, my breath wreaks! Who's going to watch the dog?"

"The dog is taken care of. We can stop and get you a toothbrush."

After another 10 minutes of driving we turn onto 88. I begin to glean the happenings.

"Are we going to Chicago?"

"Maybe."

I begin salivating.

"are we going to the United Center?"

"Maybe."

"Is this my birthday present?"

"Mhm."

"did you bring my jersey?"

"yep."

I quite abruptly find myself wide awake. I've never been to an NHL hockey game, and every time I've thought about buying tickets to see the Wings in Chicago I have to back out because of work or some other hoop la. Now I'm just a little kid who is worried about his lack of preparation for the slight chance of this actually happening. I look down at my feet which are housed in my old college flip flops.

"... did you bring my sneakers?"

"... we can get you some sneakers."

We spend the night in the burbs and I buy a cheap pair of kicks from Target 10 minutes before they close. We take an 8AM Metra the next morning and walk the 2 miles to the United Center. My first Red Wings game is sublime. Surrounded by Hawks fans more intent on chanting about how the Wings suck than cheering for their team (which needed it). I cheer wildly each time The Wings score, standing alone in my section of the nosebleeds. The only downside of the entire experience was that there wasn't anyone else to chant, "Count our cups" with me.

And that is the story of my first NHL experience. anyone else got a story to share about theirs?

I'm glad someone else notices this. I point it out quite frequently (not just of games in Chicago but Nashville and St. Louis as well) and feel like I'm the only one.

My first experience was a Wings vs. Sharks game with an ex, who was quite unfamiliar with friendly jabs, giving rival team fans a hard time. So when people started yelling at her across the street after the game how both "Red Wings" and "Detroit" sucks, she started to cross the street to go pound the guy's face in, but I had to restrain her, letting her know it's not a big deal, and that there are cops everywhere and this isn't a smart thing to get ticketed for. Sufficed to say, in enemy territory, should always be prepared to deal with loudmouths and not take it personally.

I'm glad someone else notices this. I point it out quite frequently (not just of games in Chicago but Nashville and St. Louis as well) and feel like I'm the only one.

I so agree!!! I live in Denver, and when I go see the Wings I'm always amazed at the energy the "fans" put out with Wings suck, and forget to cheer on their own team.

Awesome birthday story!!!

This past Saturday I worked an 8 hour shift painting a factory. I got off around 5 pm and my girlfriend picked me up so we could get something to eat. We end up getting done around 7 pm, and she starts driving back to my place. I was quite tired and just wanted to go to bed. Just before we get to my subdivision she veers wildly right.

"I know."

"you'll see."

"You'll see."

by this point we've been driving for about 20 minutes and I'm becoming quite paranoid from my lack of knowledge on my current situation.

"Are we going to be gone over night? I didn't bring my toothbrush, my breath wreaks! Who's going to watch the dog?"

After another 10 minutes of driving we turn onto 88. I begin to glean the happenings.

"Maybe."

I begin salivating.

"Maybe."

"Mhm."

"yep."

I quite abruptly find myself wide awake. I've never been to an NHL hockey game, and every time I've thought about buying tickets to see the Wings in Chicago I have to back out because of work or some other hoop la. Now I'm just a little kid who is worried about his lack of preparation for the slight chance of this actually happening. I look down at my feet which are housed in my old college flip flops.

We spend the night in the burbs and I buy a cheap pair of kicks from Target 10 minutes before they close. We take an 8AM Metra the next morning and walk the 2 miles to the United Center. My first Red Wings game is sublime. Surrounded by Hawks fans more intent on chanting about how the Wings suck than cheering for their team (which needed it). I cheer wildly each time The Wings score, standing alone in my section of the nosebleeds. The only downside of the entire experience was that there wasn't anyone else to chant, "Count our cups" with me.

And that is the story of my first NHL experience. anyone else got a story to share about theirs?

wow, hang on to that girl like grim death!

"I know."

"you'll see."

"You'll see."

"Maybe."

I begin salivating.

"Maybe."

"Mhm."

"yep."

That is just awesome! I hope I eventually find somebody like your girlfriend to do something like this. :D

My first experience was a Wings vs. Sharks game with an ex, who was quite unfamiliar with friendly jabs, giving rival team fans a hard time. So when people started yelling at her across the street after the game how both "Red Wings" and "Detroit" sucks, she started to cross the street to go pound the guy's face in, but I had to restrain her, letting her know it's not a big deal, and that there are cops everywhere and this isn't a smart thing to get ticketed for. Sufficed to say, in enemy territory, should always be prepared to deal with loudmouths and not take it personally.

And I, from heat and humidity land, can also back up the Chicago and "Detroit sucks" thing. It personally doesn't bother me, honestly I kinda take stuff like this with a grain of salt and thought some Wings fans in here overhype Chicago's disliking of them, but have eventually learned it's pretty true and have a story of my own sadly.

Game days most the time I put a jersey on and did the same for Sunday's Wings-Hawks game. Sunday evening I went to a music gig in the New Orleans area but didn't change or anything, so I was still in the Wings jersey. A guy went up to me and said "Detroit sucks". His significant other with him told me he was originally from Chicago. I didn't mind it or make a big deal out of it, stuff like this rarely gets to me to the point where I want to make a ruckus (it's rarely ever worth the time), and it made sense obviously between the two (or three of us) at the time and we had a brief friendly chit-chat and she told me they pretty much do the same thing most games when Detroit isn't even the opponent.

I know all Blackhawk fans aren't like this but seriously, root for your own team first.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Surrounded by Hawks fans more intent on chanting about how the Wings suck than cheering for their team (which needed it).

This was at the Wings game, right? ;)

I ask because the Chicago "fans"* do the "Wings/Detroit sucks" chant regardless of what team they are playing. They aren't very bright out there...

*I think Chicago has more Detroit haters than actual Hawks fans

Guest Crymson

Inferiority complexes.

Awesome story. My parents did something similar for my (and my brothers) first game. Told us we were going downtown for dinner and then pulled out the tickets while we were walking down from Cobo roof. It was in 99, Chelios' first game as a Wing (against Buffalo, I think).

"I know."

"you'll see."

"You'll see."

"Maybe."

I begin salivating.

"Maybe."

"Mhm."

"yep."

That part is absolutely AMAZING! i laughed cause automatically you asked for your jersey and i fell in love cause really what girl just does this? good luck to you my man.

Great story!

Sounds like you need to keep your GF away from LGW posters *jokes*

my first game I was 13ish in the old maple leafs gardens and Gary Leeman did not want to give me his autograph after the wings beat them b/c I was wearing a wings jersey... He ended up signing my program, and he might have been joking but I could not tell at 13.

And you even got new kicks outta the deal. :)

There was an old saying going around in the Eric Daze-era Hawks that the easiest place to get a Wings ticket was United Center. Never sold out, always had tickets on game day, walk right on in. Good thing for Hawks fan that Wertz drove them so far into the ground that they got good again. What's it like watching the Hawks on TV, Hawks fan?

End rant. :)