• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
nate94gt

The NHL scheduling times are horrible

Rate this topic

So the wings started wednesday. TERRIFIC! That means game 2 will be Friday evening, and game 3, in Phoenix, would be Sunday afternoon! WOOT! The east cost doesnt have to stay up till 1am watching the game! OUTSTANDING

tumblr_ldp4tzPUVf1qb9a2wo1_500.png

wait...... what? They are taking TWO days off IN detroit, so the game is Saturday, which means.... an early saturday game? 1pm start time? In detroit? So phoenix has a 10am game? Which means they will have a game on Monday in Phoenix at 10:30pm? Really?

fuuuuuuu.png

I hear ya, but this is the Red Wings in the playoffs. Why would any of us expect any different from the NHL? I'm pretty sure this is the only series that ISN'T playing Friday that already started last night.

Ah well, ce la vie. Just gives Hank more time to rest up too.

Ease up man. This is what happens when you are one of the more popular teams in the league, you usually get first dibs on TV more often than not. This is nothing we haven't been experienced to before.

Better than possible back-to-back night games.

Ease up man. This is what happens when you are one of the more popular teams in the league, you usually get first dibs on TV more often than not. This is nothing we haven't been experienced to before.

Better than possible back-to-back night games.

id say first dibs would be a sunday afternoon game, not a monday midnight game.

Monday 10:30 game just makes out to be a normal timed for the western coast. They watch hockey too and would like to see their team later than 4:00 PST. Imagine if the Wings started at 4:00 EST everyday, I think we would have some pissed off LGW'ers

When has NBC ever broadcasted games in Phoenix? Zero. When have they ever come close to considering it? When has NBC ever broadcasted weekend afternoon game on the West Coast? I don't think ever. If the Wings were going to be on NBC this first round, the game was going to be on Detroit. Versus to my knowledge has never broadcasted weekend games in the afternoon either.

This current scheduling bit is nothing new to the Red Wings, and it is nothing out of the ordinary that pretty much every team has to deal with as well.

Monday 10:30 game just makes out to be a normal timed for the western coast. They watch hockey too and would like to see their team later than 4:00 PST. Imagine if the Wings started at 4:00 EST everyday, I think we would have some pissed off LGW'ers

i dont quite think you get my point.

I understand there will be 10:30pm games out west. My point is that they schedule an extra day off in detroit, causing a f***ed up schedule that doesnt help EITHER teams fan base.

Phoenix gets stuck with a 10am game on saturday, which is ridiculous for them. It SHOULD be a 7:30pm (4:30pm for them) game on Friday night instead.

And we get stuck w/ a 10:30pm game on Monday, which SHOULD be a Sunday afternoon game in phoenix.

i dont quite think you get my point.

I understand there will be 10:30pm games out west. My point is that they schedule an extra day off in detroit, causing a f***ed up schedule that doesnt help EITHER teams fan base.

Phoenix gets stuck with a 10am game on saturday, which is ridiculous for them. It SHOULD be a 7:30pm (4:30pm for them) game on Friday night instead.

And we get stuck w/ a 10:30pm game on Monday, which SHOULD be a Sunday afternoon game in phoenix.

Would I have liked for the Wings to have 2 days off with travel to/from the Phoenix area? Sure. But it's silly to get worked up over stuff that pretty much all teams have to deal with and where the majority aren't really making a fuss about it either. Of the things to be paranoid about as a fan thinking there is a conspiracy to screw with your team, this definitely is not one of them. Scheduling isn't a perfect science, and for better/worse a lot of it is dictated by television networks, whether that is fair or not. They are big boys, they can handle it.

EDIT: In addition, the other big market or popular teams in the playoffs right now by perception are Chicago, Pittsburgh, New York, and Washington. NBC is probably not going to broadcast a Candian team if they don't have to, so the Chicago series is out. Tampa Bay has never been a staple on NBC. New York and Washington are two of the more popular teams at present.

Slim/none that Phoenix would be the host of an NBC broadcasted game. Washington, New York, and Detroit would. Now, could the Wings have been moved to tonight and Saturday and Washington-NY Wednesday/Friday/Sunday with the Sunday game being played on NBC? Sure. But it didn't happen. Thems the breaks, and it's not worth getting ticked at when our schedule doesn't appear any more or less whacked out than the schedule of other series either.

Double EDIT: (Adding in Philly and Boston as two of the more popular teams as well in the playoffs as not to forget teams, but that doesn't really detract at what I am getting at with this response)

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Would I have liked for the Wings to have 2 days off with travel to/from the Phoenix area? Sure. But it's silly to get worked up over stuff that pretty much all teams have to deal with and where the majority aren't really making a fuss about it either. Of the things to be paranoid about as a fan thinking there is a conspiracy to screw with your team, this definitely is not one of them. Scheduling isn't a perfect science, and for better/worse a lot of it is dictated by television networks, whether that is fair or not. They are big boys, they can handle it.

EDIT: In addition, the other big market or popular teams in the playoffs right now by perception are Chicago, Pittsburgh, New York, and Washington. NBC is probably not going to broadcast a Candian team if they don't have to, so the Chicago series is out. Tampa Bay has never been a staple on NBC. New York and Washington are two of the more popular teams at present.

Slim/none that Phoenix would be the host of an NBC broadcasted game. Washington, New York, and Detroit would. Now, could the Wings have been moved to tonight and Saturday and Washington-NY Wednesday/Friday/Sunday with the Sunday game being played on NBC? Sure. But it didn't happen. Thems the breaks, and it's not worth getting ticked at when our schedule doesn't appear any more or less whacked out than the schedule of other series either.

Double EDIT: (Adding in Philly and Boston as two of the more popular teams as well in the playoffs as not to forget teams, but that doesn't really detract at what I am getting at with this response)

i never said anything about a conspiracy :blink:

im sure more people agree w/ this, or hadnt thought/realized it until they see the post.... who knows.

If not, oh well :blush:

i think its stupid so i voiced my opinion :cool:

Just noticed the playoff schedule ... has it changed format? It goes Det, Pho, Det, Det, Pho, Det, Pho (1-1-2-1-1-1). Interesting ... that means a critical game 7 is at the team that did worst in the regular standings. Is this good format? What happened to 2-2-1-1-1?

Guest stinky fish taco

Just noticed the playoff schedule ... has it changed format? It goes Det, Pho, Det, Det, Pho, Det, Pho (1-1-2-1-1-1). Interesting ... that means a critical game 7 is at the team that did worst in the regular standings. Is this good format? What happened to 2-2-1-1-1?

...what the hell are you talking about

Are you just trying to be funny

When will the NHL stop bending over backwards for NBC, when NBC itself doesn't really put much effort into hockey.

Are there any NHL fans out there that actually like NBC?

Whhaatttt?!?!?! You don't like Pierre and Doc?!?!? :P

Guest Shoreline

I guess if you think of the NHL's scheduling as s***ty, I can't disagree.. especially with back to back games in the Finals.

But I don't see a problem at all with an extra day off. Surely the boys can use another day, especially if it means Z will be back. The time for rest will be few and far between come the later rounds if the Wings make it that far.

I also got accustomed to rise-n-shine games when I was on the west coast. Sometimes the Wings would play at 12pm ET which was 9am my time. This shouldn't be anything new to a Wings fan out west.

Edited by Shoreline

I would rather see the Wings be rested than have them fit in with a preferred schedule to watch. Personally, I'm happy about the Saturday / Monday / Wednesday because I'll be out and about Friday night.

...what the hell are you talking about

I should have double or triple checked. This is what threw me off Yahoo Sports NHL Playoff Schedule http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/playoffs/firstround/phodet

Game 1: PHO 2, DET 4 Recap | BoxScore

Game 2: Apr 16 1:00pm EDT @PHO

Game 3: Apr 18 10:30pm EDT @DET

Game 4: Apr 20 10:30pm EDT @DET

Game 5: Apr 22 7:00pm EDT @PHO (if necessary)

Game 6: Apr 24, TBD @DET (if necessary)

Game 7: Apr 27, TBD @PHO (if necessary)

And for the Vancouver vs. Chicago series

Game 1: CHI 0, VAN 2 Recap | BoxScore

Game 2: Apr 15 10:00pm EDT @CHI

Game 3: Apr 17 8:00pm EDT @VAN

Game 4: Apr 19 8:00pm EDT @VAN

Game 5: Apr 21 10:00pm EDT @CHI (if necessary)

Game 6: Apr 24 7:30pm EDT @VAN (if necessary)

Game 7: Apr 26, TBD @CHI (if necessary)

Weird.

Edited by RedWingsRox

I should have double or triple checked. This is what threw me off Yahoo Sports NHL Playoff Schedule http://ca.sports.yah...rstround/phodet

Game 1: PHO 2, DET 4 Recap | BoxScore

Game 2: Apr 16 1:00pm EDT @PHO

Game 3: Apr 18 10:30pm EDT @DET

Game 4: Apr 20 10:30pm EDT @DET

Game 5: Apr 22 7:00pm EDT @PHO (if necessary)

Game 6: Apr 24, TBD @DET (if necessary)

Game 7: Apr 27, TBD @PHO (if necessary)

And for the Vancouver vs. Chicago series

Game 1: CHI 0, VAN 2 Recap | BoxScore

Game 2: Apr 15 10:00pm EDT @CHI

Game 3: Apr 17 8:00pm EDT @VAN

Game 4: Apr 19 8:00pm EDT @VAN

Game 5: Apr 21 10:00pm EDT @CHI (if necessary)

Game 6: Apr 24 7:30pm EDT @VAN (if necessary)

Game 7: Apr 26, TBD @CHI (if necessary)

Weird.

i have no idea what they are doing. wtf

i never said anything about a conspiracy :blink:

im sure more people agree w/ this, or hadnt thought/realized it until they see the post.... who knows.

If not, oh well :blush:

i think its stupid so i voiced my opinion :cool:

its hard to have an opinion sometimes here without first checking with the regulars first. then you can have one if they say so.

but i agree...that is some silly scheduling

Edited by hillbillywingsfan

its hard to have an opinion sometimes here without first checking with the regulars first. then you can have one if they say so.

but i agree...that is some silly scheduling

Never said anybody couldn't have an opinion, so you can stop right there with the whole "The people who have been here longer matter more" shenanigans. But when I think an opinion is out of whack, I certainly have just as much entitlement to call that opinion or person out if I choose as long as it is within the forum rules, just as much as that person has to express their viewpoint. I understand where he's coming from, I still think it's silly. He can handle being called out just fine.