• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest stinky fish taco

Throwing an octopus at the Joe no longer allowed

Rate this topic

Wow Bettman... Is this a new low?

He has hit rock bottom and has started to dig....

When I asked the cops they were laughing and said [Commissioner Gary] Bettman started the rule at the start of the 2nd period. Really new rules. In between periods.

What I don't get is the NHL now has the power to enforce a civil fine and a court date? Really?

I have a feeling the cops in Detroit would rather people throw the 'pi on the ice. It's tradition.

As long as it's during a break in play, not DURING the game, it should be all good. And about Al not being allowed to spin it. Apparently, his 3 seconds of spinning it is 'delay of game' when he still has to go out there and pick it up...

I realize that free speech is the general rule around here, but I'm going to ask you guys to keep the police hate to a more mature level of discussion.

If you don't like the police, that's fine. If you hate cops, good for you, that's your constitutional right. But if you're going to voice your displeasure over the enforcement of this rule by the members of the Detroit Police Department, at least be courteous enough to be civil about it. That said, If you REALLY want to discuss your hatred/distrust of police, the Political Discussion subforum would be the appropriate place to do so.

Long story short, feel free to voice your displeasure, but please keep the "f*** police" comments to yourself.

I would like to take the time for everyone who is freaking out to pump the breaks and understand the "pig cops" aren't the ones enacting these new laws.

Really makes me wonder when people start screaming "f*** the police" from a law they didn't decide on but now are required to enforce.

Agreed, I'm no fan of many laws in this country, but the anti-cop attitudes of so many people is just ridiculous.

That being said, I can't believe the NHL would pressure (I'm assuming that's what this is) an original six team to end a fantastic tradition. Sad day. My dad was at the last game in Detroit against Chicago and he said he saw some guy getting manhandled by security and basically dragged out for throwing an octopi. I had never heard of this happening at the Joe before, so it surprised me. Was that the guy that this article is about?

Again, it's silly to get so upset over something like this, but a big chunk of enjoying a sport is enjoying unsanitized traditions. This is just as insulting as you can get relating to sports fan bases.

There was an Octopi thrown on the ice last game after Detroit scored, I forget which goal. But that Octopi just barely sailed over the head of a Coyote and landed right in front. It's probably bad throwing like this that is causing these rules. I'm all for throwing the Octopus, but there is no need to throw it right into the crowd of players from the opposing team, that just tells me you're trying to be douchy and hit one(or more) of them.

Edited by Jasper84

What I don't get is the NHL now has the power to enforce a civil fine and a court date? Really?

Exactly. There is obviously more to this...

And even if there is some new "law" that hockey fans can no longer throw anything on the ice, what happens when a player gets a hat trick? They call in the national guard to come in and arrest hundreds of people?

Pathetic, NHL.

I fully understand enforcing the rule if someone does it during gameplay or it lands near a player or official, but come on.

Whats next, are they going to start fining people for throwing hats on a hat trick?

I actually noticed something before the game on wednesday. It was posted on the video board and said a few times, that if a fan throws anything on the ice during the game(I assumed this to be octupi) that the home team will be assessed a 2 minute delay of game penalty. I had heard of this before, but never had I seen this said/posted at the joe. I wanna hear the boos the first time a penalty is called for throwing an octupi. Lame.

Edited by Wings_Rule_1010

You guys really think this is going to stop the tradition? Not everyone reads dumb articles on the internet and unless there are announcements or giant signs stating octopus throwing is no longer allowed at the Joe (that just doesn't even feel right to type) then this will continue.

I actually noticed something before the game on wednesday. It was posted on the video board and said a few times, that if a fan throws anything on the ice during the game(I assumed this to be octupi) that the home team will be assessed a 2 minute delay of game penalty. I had heard of this before, but never had I seen this said/posted at the joe. I wanna hear the boos the first time a penalty is called for throwing an octupi. Lame.

I would assume that also means hats after a hat trick.

The NHL is going to lose me as a fan one of these days.

Guys, theres no way this is true. First off, the ticket in the picture looks nothing like a ticket from DPS. The only references to DET is where it says Third/Jefferson for the location, which isnt even the right cross roads anyway. (third street is about a 1/4 mile south of the Joe)

Also the part where the cop says Bettman made this decision during intermission to make it illegal. Theres no way this could be enforced simply by Gary making a phone call, and all the cops immediately being on board. Believe it or not, cops have brains and a conscious like we do, and I doubt they would enforce it out of nowhere.

On top of that, I know the kid who threw his octopus during the anthem of Game 1 and I know he didnt get booted from the game, and he was on national TV for gods sake.

Dont give this story any cred until we see this happening more, because im sure there will be more thrown.

Are you serious?

ya, i understand that the freep isnt the greatest, but it also isnt the national enquirer. 200 year old newspapers dont just publish random, ridiculous claims.