• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest stinky fish taco

Throwing an octopus at the Joe no longer allowed

Rate this topic

I actually noticed something before the game on wednesday. It was posted on the video board and said a few times, that if a fan throws anything on the ice during the game(I assumed this to be octupi) that the home team will be assessed a 2 minute delay of game penalty. I had heard of this before, but never had I seen this said/posted at the joe. I wanna hear the boos the first time a penalty is called for throwing an octupi. Lame.

It always cracks me up when they say they are going to penalize the home team for this, I always thought it would be a good tactic to throw stuff on the ice at every away game the Wings have, just rack up penalties against the home team, basically just free power plays for the Wings when they are on the road. Stupid NHL, how do they know which team's fans threw what ever was thrown.

The guy who got caught is on the WRIF right now giving his story. He says that "nhl officials" not even cops, arrested him. when the nhl guys told the cops to arrest him, they laughed at him.

what a hilarious story.

<! -- Start Shameless Plug -- >

All octopus-throwers are hereby declared to wear this before tossing his/her cephalopod on the ice:

red-octopus-don-t-tread-on-me-181.png

"Don't Tread on Me" Octopus Tee

<! -- End Shameless Plug -- >

Very rarely do I see clothing I absolutely have to buy, but this qualifies. Even if throwing the Octopi is not illegal, it's clearly not in favor with the NHL who is trying to outlaw it at every turn, and thus is relevant.

whoa, just found this from the freep.

http://www.freep.com/article/20110414/SPORTS05/110414055/0/NEWS01/Report-Red-Wings-fan-cited-throwing-octopus-Game-1?odyssey=nav|head

The only source they have is from the deadspin article, but being in the freep there has to be some truth to it.

Us Michigan fans disagree...

but yeah, if this is true, then this is completely lame. Bettman is doing his worst trying corporatize the entire league and remove local traditions.

I would like to take the time for everyone who is freaking out to pump the breaks and understand the "pig cops" aren't the ones enacting these new laws.

Really makes me wonder when people start screaming "f*** the police" from a law they didn't decide on but now are required to enforce.

Everyones been listening to too much NWA lately

I guess all the ppl who throw their hats after a hat trick will face the same penalty? I can't see how an Octopus would cause anymore "Bodily harm" then a hat.

Dude, have you felt the brim of a baseball cap? That thing could kill somebody!!

If this ridiculous story is true, Bettman should be pelted with octopi everywhere he goes. Make it happen fans!

esteef

im reserving judgment on this for a bit. it seems to me a few more details are missing.

I agree with this.

Anyone passing judgment on this alone is an idiot. The ticket isn't even a real DPS ticket. The address is wrong. The article that the freep is referencing is not from a credible source. I say add all these things up and something stinks. Yet, that doesn't stop the sheep here thats for sure.

"Actually, there's a very good reason for it. We haven't fined or given a delay of game penalty for the throwing of the octopus because we understand and respect the tradition. Having said that, when you swing the octopus around - and I don't know the exact term for it -- but octopus 'gunk' gets on the ice and occasionally has gotten on the players -- the goaltenders -- as it goes by. Occasionally, when it freezes on the ice, it creates a potentially hazardous situation for the players. It's not about interfering with a tradition; it's about making sure nobody gets it in their eyes, like a goaltender nearby, or that nobody blows out a knee getting caught on some frozen gunk."

I was thinking about this last night. I don't think the story is true because even if Bettman passes some stupid rule, I don't think he can have people arrested and taken to court unless it's against a city ordinance. The most he could do is have you thrown out and have to pay a fine if you ever want to attend a game again. If they take you to jail and court and make you pay a city fine then there has to be an ordinance or law against throwing an octopus on the ice. So let's blame city council.

WAIT CONSPIRACY THEORY Bettman is working with city council to hurt the city of Detroit even more!

"Actually, there's a very good reason for it. We haven't fined or given a delay of game penalty for the throwing of the octopus because we understand and respect the tradition. Having said that, when you swing the octopus around - and I don't know the exact term for it -- but octopus 'gunk' gets on the ice and occasionally has gotten on the players -- the goaltenders -- as it goes by. Occasionally, when it freezes on the ice, it creates a potentially hazardous situation for the players. It's not about interfering with a tradition; it's about making sure nobody gets it in their eyes, like a goaltender nearby, or that nobody blows out a knee getting caught on some frozen gunk."

That's what they said a year or two ago, but it was then proven that no such thing happens. Supposedly.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

97.1 is reporting that the guy was grabbed by NHL security. The NHL has security? This story has an awful lot of holes.

whoa, just found this from the freep.

http://www.freep.com/article/20110414/SPORTS05/110414055/0/NEWS01/Report-Red-Wings-fan-cited-throwing-octopus-Game-1?odyssey=nav|head

The only source they have is from the deadspin article, but being in the freep there has to be some truth to it.

Freep.com is not really the reliable news source it once was. They've been known to post articles based slowly on rumor and speculation. Freep.com is really just a blog for amateur reporters wanting to get into the business. The Free Press has an actual online version of the print newspaper that you have to pay a subscription for.