• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest stinky fish taco

Throwing an octopus at the Joe no longer allowed

Rate this topic

If this is true regarding the Bettman piece of information, that ******* troll needs to be gone. Keep targeting the Wings with your little Napoleon Complex and we'll keep winning. Prick.

Gary Bettman, regardless of what he's done monetarily, is one of the worst commissioners in professional sports. I don't know what he's doing, why he's doing it, or what he hopes to gain by doing it. I've said this more than a few times, but if you make Bud Selig look competent, you dun goofed.

I guess technically after the national anthem and after the game ends would be fine, since these are outside of official game time. I'd say scoring a goal during a playoff game counts as a special occasion, but they'll probably put a special "cephalopod" clause in the rulebook. Why does Bettman hate this team so much?

It would still violate the City ordinance.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

i wonder whose inbox we can blow up to express our displeasure with this turn of events

I'd start with the Detroit police department and the City of Detroit mayor's office. I think that will have more of an effect than trying to contact Mr. *******.

Edited by Howard He Do It?!

I can not believe there are people here defending cops and saying that they are just enforcing the rules. If someone throws a octopus on the ice and isnt endangering anyone they could easily turn the other way. But no they see a way to make some quick cash and they pounce on it. Its disgusting how people will defend the police they think it makes them look intelligent or well spoken. There is no reason at all that the police should be fining or arresting someone for carrying out an safe, non-offensive and timeless tradition. Just ridiculous to me.

Yo yo yo man, save your "f*** the police" spiel for your buddies when you get together and listen to NWA and talk about how the "man" is holding you back.

I don't need to defend the police to look intelligent or well-spoken. I already am intelligent and well-spoken, my defending the police when they are being unnecessarily shat upon by people like you merely reinforces it. If the NHL says throwing an octopus on the ice is punishable by XYZ penalties, it's the cops' job to enforce that. Doesn't mean that NHL is right in saying that, doesn't mean that it's fair or otherwise sensible. The job of the police is to enforce laws, rules, & regulations. This is a rule and regulation. Thus, it's their job to enforce it, right or wrong.

If you think this is wrong, target the appropriate party -- THE ******* NHL. Not the got damn cops.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Yo yo yo man, save your "f*** the police" spiel for your buddies when you get together and listen to NWA and talk about how the "man" is holding you back.

I don't need to defend the police to look intelligent or well-spoken. I already am intelligent and well-spoken, my defending the police when they are being unnecessarily shat upon by people like you merely reinforces it. If the NHL says throwing an octopus on the ice is punishable by XYZ penalties, it's the cops' job to enforce that. Doesn't mean that NHL is right in saying that, doesn't mean that it's fair or otherwise sensible. The job of the police is to enforce laws, rules, & regulations. This is a rule and regulation. Thus, it's their job to enforce it, right or wrong.

If you think this is wrong, target the appropriate party -- THE ******* NHL. Not the got damn cops.

The cops don't have to listen to the NHL at all. However, they do have to listen to the police commissioner and their respective sergeants. The NHL is pressuring higher ups, not the cops themselves. Hell, the cops who arrested the guy basically laughed in the face of the security who brought him to them.

In the end it is the same basic point though, the cops aren't arresting people for fun or because they want to.

I'd start with the Detroit police department and the City of Detroit mayor's office. I think that will have more of an effect than trying to contact Mr. *******.

Dear police:

Please ignore Law X because it's unfair and stupid.

Sincerely,

Disgruntled Wing's Fan.

PS. Law Y also sucks and so does Law B, please don't enforce those either.

PPS, while we are at it, ignore Laws, A,C,Z and, D. They are also stupid.

The cops don't have to listen to the NHL at all. However, they do have to listen to the police commissioner and their respective sergeants. The NHL is pressuring higher ups, not the cops themselves. Hell, the cops who arrested the guy basically laughed in the face of the security who brought him to them.

In the end it is the same basic point though, the cops aren't arresting people for fun or because they want to.

If the NHL says it is illegal to throw on ice during its league playoff games, then yes, law enforcement must protect and serve if arena personnel are inept at handling such situations.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Dear police:

Please ignore Law X because it's unfair and stupid.

Sincerely,

Disgruntled Wing's Fan.

PS. Law Y also sucks and so does Law B, please don't enforce those either.

PPS, while we are at it, ignore Laws, A,C,Z and, D. They are also stupid.

Nice job on missing the point. You can voice your displeasure with any law, doesn't mean that they are suddenly not going to be enforced. It's not like we are asking the police department to turn a blind eye on murder or armed robbery here.

I love you, Beth. You rock. (See above post by Beth, aka Electrophile.)

So, this is a city ordinance that the NHL has requested the city to enforce upon the Flinging of the Octopi.

All the City Council has to do is add a clause that this shall not apply to properly thrown (i.e.: boiled, thrown during the playoffs, thrown after goals, after the anthem, at the end of the game, etc.) and the NHL can't ask them to enforce it against octopi.

The NHL can still ban people and eject them, but at least there won't be a civil fine.

Plus the City Council members would be putting themselves in a good position for re-election.

Case closed.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

If the NHL says it is illegal to throw on ice during its league playoff games, then yes, law enforcement must protect and serve if arena personnel are inept at handling such situations.

I don't know what magical land you live in but the NHL has no authoritative force over the Detroit police department. There are plenty of laws on the books that are selectively enforced or not enforced at all.

If the NHL says throwing Roman candles onto the ice is punishable by XYZ penalties, and someone throws a Roman candle and it hits a 5 year old in the head and sets her hair on fire, and the cops don't arrest the person who threw it.......guess who gets screwed out of their job? Not the thrower of the incendiary device. No, the cop does. Maybe the cop thinks throwing Roman candles on the ice is a great way to celebrate a team win, but the point is........their job is to enforce the rules and regulations inside and outside any public venue.

If the NHL says Wings fans aren't allowed to throw octopi on the ice anymore and if you're caught doing it, XYZ will happen to you, the cops inside Joe Louis arena have to act, otherwise they could lose their jobs. So what's more important -- not throwing an octopi on the ice for a while, or someone losing their job, especially in a city as economically f***ed as Detroit is?

Take it up with the league, they're the ones who came up with this lame-ass rule. The Detroit Police Department didn't, the Chief of Police didn't.....the league did.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

So, this is a city ordinance that the NHL has requested the city to enforce upon the Flinging of the Octopi.

All the City Council has to do is add a clause that this shall not apply to properly thrown (i.e.: boiled, thrown during the playoffs, thrown after goals, after the anthem, at the end of the game, etc.) and the NHL can't ask them to enforce it against octopi.

The NHL can still ban people and eject them, but at least there won't be a civil fine.

Plus the City Council members would be putting themselves in a good position for re-election.

Case closed.

This is assuming that the city council actual does something other then posture and yell at each other.

I would like to take the time for everyone who is freaking out to pump the breaks and understand the "pig cops" aren't the ones enacting these new laws.

Really makes me wonder when people start screaming "f*** the police" from a law they didn't decide on but now are required to enforce.

/thread torched?

Guest Howard He Do It?!

If the NHL says throwing Roman candles onto the ice is punishable by XYZ penalties, and someone throws a Roman candle and it hits a 5 year old in the head and sets her hair on fire, and the cops don't arrest the person who threw it.......guess who gets screwed out of their job? Not the thrower of the incendiary device. No, the cop does. Maybe the cop thinks throwing Roman candles on the ice is a great way to celebrate a team win, but the point is........their job is to enforce the rules and regulations inside and outside any public venue.

If the NHL says Wings fans aren't allowed to throw octopi on the ice anymore and if you're caught doing it, XYZ will happen to you, the cops inside Joe Louis arena have to act, otherwise they could lose their jobs. So what's more important -- not throwing an octopi on the ice for a while, or someone losing their job, especially in a city as economically f***ed as Detroit is?

Take it up with the league, they're the ones who came up with this lame-ass rule. The Detroit Police Department didn't, the Chief of Police didn't.....the league did.

It's a Detroit city ordinance that is being enforced by the police, not an NHL rule.

Sec. 38-5-4. - Same—Throwing of bottles, cans, etc., prohibited.

It shall be unlawful for any person to cast, throw, hurl or fling any bottle, can, receptacle, or any other object which could cause injury or damage in the spectator area where any athletic contests or exhibition is conducted or into or upon the area used for the conduct of such contests or exhibition while the same is in progress and during intermissions and delays of such contest or exhibition.

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=10649&stateId=22&stateName=Michigan

Yea because speed traps and enforcing fines on harmless acts are more important then all other crimes. Plus i can target both the cops and the NHL because the nhl is stupid for putting in the rule but the police are accepting the fine without any problem. So why dont you go sit around with your buddies and pretend to be well spoken, but i will speak the truth with my friends.

It's a Detroit city ordinance that is being enforced by the police, not an NHL rule.

Okay, so it's a city ordinance that the police are required to enforce, that the NHL is supporting the enforcement of. So let's target our frustrations at both the NHL for supporting it and the city for lumping octopi in with dangerous projectiles like glass bottles and rocks.

That still doesn't equate to blaming the cops who are doing their jobs in enforcing this city ordinance.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Okay, so it's a city ordinance that the police are required to enforce, that the NHL is supporting the enforcement of. So let's target our frustrations at both the NHL for supporting it and the city for lumping octopi in with dangerous projectiles like glass bottles and rocks.

That still doesn't equate to blaming the cops who are doing their jobs in enforcing this city ordinance.

People will blame the cops for anything, even if it isn't their fault. Some officer at the game doesn't have the clout to decide what he/she is and isn't going to enforce. It's coming from high up in the chain and it is all being instigated by the NHL and Mr. "I hate the Red Wings and playoff traditions" Bettman.

Case closed.

I'm sure someone can make this happen as long as they go to the council for the right price. :ph34r:

I don't know what magical land you live in but the NHL has no authoritative force over the Detroit police department. There are plenty of laws on the books that are selectively enforced or not enforced at all.

Great job missing the point. In my magical land I read this in my magical newspaper as i was riding my magical unicorn...Brian:

The Red Wings organization released a statement Friday: "The throwing of objects onto the ice surface is prohibited by the National Hockey League and persons caught doing so may be subject to prosecution for violating local and state laws."

Detroit Police spokeswoman Sgt. Eren Stephens said the incident violated city ordinance 38-5-4, which prohibits throwing objects on the playing area during sporting events. .

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110415/SPORTS0103/104150429/Wings-fan-says-he-was-fined-$500-for-Game-1-octopus-toss#ixzz1JcSQ3C3W

So the NHL says it's illegal. The Red Wings say it's illegal. Detroit says it's illegal.

It's not a question of authority over Detroit police, it's the authorization of Detroit police enforcing the law.

If the NHL and the board of governors said it was illegal to wear hats in NHL sanctioned games, you better believe NHL patrons would get arrested. That doesn't mean the NHL "owns" the police, it means the police are enforcing the laws.

There's nothing about this anywhere else. I realize the Wings official site is usually way behind LGW, but I find it hard to believe that with a home game pending tomorrow that there wouldn't be some kind of warning issued there. For now, I call BS.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Great job missing the point. In my magical land I read this in my magical newspaper as i was riding my magical unicorn...Brian:

So the NHL says it's illegal. The Red Wings say it's illegal. Detroit says it's illegal.

It's not a question of authority over Detroit police, it's the authorization of Detroit police enforcing the law.

If the NHL and the board of governors said it was illegal to wear hats in NHL sanctioned games, you better believe NHL patrons would get arrested. That doesn't mean the NHL "owns" the police, it means the police are enforcing the laws.

Is there a federal law, state law, or city ordinance that says it is illegal to wear hats at an NHL sanctioned game or any sporting event? If there isn't then you cannot be arrested for wearing a hat to an NHL sanctioned game. You can be ejected from the venue because by buying a ticket you agree to the terms set forth by the NHL and the team but you cannot be arrested. The NHL doesn't create laws. Does it say that in your magical newspaper?

The NHL can create a policy prohibiting the throwing of objects onto the ice but what they cannot do is have people arrested for violating said policy. The only reason that any arrests can occur is because there is a city ordinance prohibiting the throwing of any object onto the playing surface at any sporting event. The arrest is a result of the city ordinance, not the NHL policy.

Your precious, magical newspaper even says that it is prohibited by the NHL but made illegal by the city ordinance. Try understanding what you read rather than simply reading it.

The throwing of objects onto the ice surface is prohibited by the National Hockey League and persons caught doing so may be subject to prosecution for violating local and state laws.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110415/SPORTS0103/104150429/Wings-fan-says-he-was-fined-$500-for-Game-1-octopus-toss#ixzz1JcXHyXsA