• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest stinky fish taco

Throwing an octopus at the Joe no longer allowed

Rate this topic

Haha... What a bunch of bullcrap. "We're worried about the safety of our players." You should probably be more worried about that deal you made with the devil.

Headshots, horrible/suspicious officiating, cap-circumvention, and Red Wings tradition: NHL pet peeves.

I think its hilarious with all of the other problems in the league, THIS becomes an issue. Holmstrom is practically assaulted in front of the net every night and he is lucky if HE doesn't get a penalty. We are instructing law enforcement to fine FANS?

Five or more octopi on the ice a game, and the Joe STILL has the best ice in the league. Osgood made a great point at the end of the video on MLive. Look at the season finale in Chicago and the game in San Jose last night, there are no standards for the conditions of the ice. I don't think I saw the puck lay flat once after the first period last night. Lets talk about that.

Which is more likely to cause injury to a player: a) dozens of slashes and crosschecks, b) toe-picking on poor ice conditions because Celine Dion and the Bulls had a back-to-back the night before, c) octopus gunk

Hint: the answer is C. :rolleyes:

:lol: We should have a pool and bet on it with the proceeds to go to help pay fines.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Edited by b.shanafan14

actually, it was getting sort of ridiculous anyway. do we really need 7 thrown every game?

a bit excessive.

This

It doesn't seem so much about tradition anymore as about ending up on Sports Center or getting hits on YouTube. Peoples tendency to take things to far is as much to blame as Bettman, an opinion that probably won't get me many friends around here.

The thing is if your going to cite people for this you better start citing people for chucking a hat on the ice. IMO that could be considered discriminating by singling out one group.

This

It doesn't seem so much about tradition anymore as about ending up on Sports Center or getting hits on YouTube. Peoples tendency to take things to far is as much to blame as Bettman, an opinion that probably won't get me many friends around here.

The thing is if your going to cite people for this you better start citing people for chucking a hat on the ice. IMO that could be considered discriminating by singling out one group.

No, tossing hats onto the ice is specifically allowed in the NHL rules when someone scores a hat trick.

"I opened the bag and showed it to them and they said, 'Come on in,'" Balish said. "I've done it eight times before and never had a problem."

When he went to throw the octopus on the ice after Pavel Datsyuk's goal in the second period, he said he was not stopped nor warned by any security guard or usher. Balish also said five other octopi had been tossed on the ice prior to his — and none of those fans were ejected.

"I started to walk up the stairs to go back to my seat and two gentlemen with NHL badges said, 'You're going to jail,'" Balish said.

Reel Fishy. Pun intended.

Being that Mule and the boys will likely pick up the tab for anyone that gets fined by this retarded new "Bettman Rule", no reason not to keep throwing 'em!!!

And if tradition along with that isn't enough reason already, now there is the extra incentive of getting to spite Bettman and his cronies!!! :yowza:

Let us stop saying things like "this is lame," and FIGHT BACK.

If people can use the internet to overthrow governments, we have to be able to do something about the NHL being absurd.

I think it is high time we mobilize and fight back against the NHL. Any ideas?

Although I admit that I have no idea what goes on in politics and governments; But, is there any way people can try to sway city council or w/e to get this ticket waved, or have the entire thing dissipate in general?

National Hockey League

1185 Avenue of the Americas, 12th Fl.

New York, NY 10020

NY Tel. 212-789-2000

Fax 212-789-2020

I am going to try and find more numbers.

Frank Brown seems to be someone who weighs in, let us find this information already and start getting aggressive.

Although I admit that I have no idea what goes on in politics and governments; But, is there any way people can try to sway city council or w/e to get this ticket waved, or have the entire thing dissipate in general?

You have to think that the cops are only doing this to appease the NHL, so you could probably argue (and have the cop back you up) that they didn't want to write the ticket, but were told to by the NHL, and under NHL rules, throwing objects on the ice is allowed in certain celebratory circumstances. And being this is Detroit and these are the playoffs, and it is celebatory playoff tradition here, it should be let go. I'm just brainstorming though, I am not a lawyer and don't know how these things actually go down. But I'm sure the judge probably wouldn't be to happy either that a city like Detroit, who has much larger issues to deal with, is having their court system burdened by non-sense like this.

FWIW, in addition to the "Don't Tread on Me" Octopus t-shirt that's been available on the LGW Shop for a couple months, I'm actually working on a couple right now that I'll have the artwork posted up for tonight... Might be a day or two before I get the final art approved for production.

Guest CaliWingsNut

FWIW, in addition to the "Don't Tread on Me" Octopus t-shirt that's been available on the LGW Shop for a couple months, I'm actually working on a couple right now that I'll have the artwork posted up for tonight... Might be a day or two before I get the final art approved for production.

I'm not a fan of the "tight neck" t-shirt design that those appear (from the pictures) to be. Any chance for a wider cut neckline or v-neck shirt for the designs?

Edited by CaliWingsNut

f*** the NHL and f*** the police for being their lapdogs.

ohhhhh so now we all know. you are one of those NWA listening paps blue ribbon drinking jerks.

AND JUST SO YOU ALL KNOW...THIS IS A JOKE. I LITTLE RIBBING. Not to be taken serious. Me and shoreline are LGW friends. so its all in good fun.

As far as this rule change man i really hope its not true. I would hate to not see some octopus being thrown on the ice. It's such an awesome tradition. I really hope its false or i hope the cops turn a blind eye to it.

OK, it just hit me. If you'd like I'd be happy to throw an octopus at the league office doors and leave. I'd put red and white ribbon on the legs and simply splat it on the door. My wife just said she'd post any bail and videotape it.

If I don't see plentiful octopus tomorrow this plan is ON

LET THEM THROW OCTOPI

OK, it just hit me. If you'd like I'd be happy to throw an octopus at the league office doors and leave. I'd put red and white ribbon on the legs and simply splat it on the door. My wife just said she'd post any bail and videotape it.

If I don't see plentiful octopus tomorrow this plan is ON

Please, good Lord, please. I think you should wait til they close one night and cover the doorstep so they can't even enter the building the next day without being reminded of the octopus. ;p

One of the funnier comments I read regarding this, via the puck daddy comment section;

If and when pens fans start throwing bandwagons on the ice i guarantee it would be not only allowed but encouraged

The phrase "Pens fans" can also be substituted with "Chicago fans".

Matt, I promise to buy one of these new designs if you'll get some V-Neck or something. Crew neck shirts are for boys. :(

ok now that i have a few more details, i can state my opinion.

is throwing stuff on the ice grounds for ejection? yes and it always has been. octopi chuckers usually go quietly and willingly with no fuss and all parties involved have generally seemed to be cooperative and peaceful. everyone know what theyre getting themselves into.

that said, this is still complete and total bulls***. f*** commisioner golem

I totally agree with this. It seems, though, the cooperative parties were usually in other arenas.

I'm with everyone who is calling for octopi rain tomorrow.

Wonder if this will be the same as what happened to the streaker I saw at Comerica when I was at the Tigers/Royals game on my bday (Sept 15) in 2009.

The guy communicated with me (and the Security guard who tackled him actually). Turned out he didn't get prosecuted by anyone. They dropped the charges. And what are the chances someone at the Joe actually recognizes him?