• Please log in to reply
295 replies to this topic

#221 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:55 PM

another thing is that fans have to be smart about when to throw them.

anthem - fine.

after a goal - fine.

after detroit ices the puck and can't change - not fine.

you can't give the league any more ammo than it already has.

unless its game seven of the stanley cup final with one minute left and its tied or a one goal game of course...

#222 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:00 PM

But apparently it's still fine with Bettman to throw catfish on the ice.

Odd, that.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#223 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:02 PM

Odd, that.

stupid, wannabees.

#224 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,937 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 12:43 AM

Odd, that.

Odd that Bettman sides with the pretenders? Not really.

#225 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:41 AM

"Octopi shall not occupy the ice. Please refrain from throwing same."

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#226 Blaayze

Blaayze

Summer... wakeboard... can't wait.

• PipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:11 AM

another thing is that fans have to be smart about when to throw them.

anthem - fine.

after a goal - fine.

after detroit ices the puck and can't change - not fine.

you can't give the league any more ammo than it already has.

Or perhaps on a commercial break, provided the wings did something spectacular that didn't involve a goal. Like Helm tottaly fooling a PP in their own zone(got I love that kid). :thumbup:
Posted Image

#227 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:18 AM

Odd that Bettman sides with the pretenders? Not really.

Odd, that Bettman.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#228 redwingcapt

redwingcapt

redwingcapt

• PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 12:08 PM

you have to boil it yourself, and dont throw a raw one.

no one boils them, they recommend to but no one does.
To whom much is given, much is expected

#229 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 01:51 PM

Sigh... It even shows up better when cooked. white on ice isn't as good as RED on ice :)

Posted Image

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#230 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,960 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 02:46 PM

There should be a charitable fund for whomever inevitably throws an octopus onto the ice for Games 3 and 4.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#231 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:25 PM

well they should.

#232 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 04:35 PM

Does anyone know what they do with the thrown cephalopods? Do they just throw them out? Or maybe use them for a post game snack?

#233 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 04:38 PM

Does anyone know what they do with the thrown cephalopods? Do they just throw them out? Or maybe use them for a post game snack?

They give them to coach Babcock, and he eats them :hehe:
IPB Image

#234 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,960 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:04 PM

Great article by Terry Foster.

http://detnews.com/a...0393/1128/rss16

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#235 stevieisthebest

stevieisthebest

The Captain

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:22 PM

Somebody should make one of those history will be made commercials about this, but the tag line should be "History will be Ignored" or "history will be banned" instead.
"15,395 Days since they won the cup...3 seconds left, THE DETROiT RED WINGS ARE THE STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!"

"Lemiuex was hammered by Darren McCarty, and he is being helped into the locker room."

Thanks Steve! #19
Thanks Nick! #5

#236 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:11 PM

Posted Image

Edited by eva unit zero, 18 April 2011 - 11:12 PM.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#237 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:26 PM

Great article by Terry Foster.

http://detnews.com/a...0393/1128/rss16

Ignorant article. Foster implies that the NHL is the reason whats-his-nuts is being charged $500 for violating the city ordinance. Bettman and the NHL do not run the Wings, operate the JLA, decide on or enforce Detroit city ordinaces. All the NHL can do is say "Don't throw stuff." And yet, Foster lays all of the blame at Bettman's feet. Is it Bettman's fault the next time the same city ordinance

Sec. 38-5-4. - Athletic contests or exhibitions—Throwing of bottles, cans, etc., prohibited.

It shall be unlawful for any person to cast, throw, hurl or fling any bottle, can, receptacle, or any other object which could cause injury or damage in the spectator area where any athletic contests or exhibition is conducted or into or upon the area used for the conduct of such contests or exhibition while the same is in progress and during intermissions and delays of such contest or exhibition.

What happens the next time we see someone arrested under such conditions at a Lions or Tigers game? Is that Bettman's fault also, because this city ordinance apparently is enforced not because it's the law but because Bettman says so? When Terry Foster writes something intelligent about the Wings, let me know; I'll probably have just finished paying for my youngest son's graduation party. He turns one next month.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#238 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:35 AM

I missed the beginning of Game 3 tonight. Tell me at least one Octopus found the ice at Jobing.com..

The league does this every playoffs. They act like theyre gonna crack down, then after a little resistance from fans, they let it go. Don't they have something else to worry about, like where the Coyotes will relocate to after we sweep em?

Ignorant article. Foster implies that the NHL is the reason whats-his-nuts is being charged $500 for violating the city ordinance. Bettman and the NHL do not run the Wings, operate the JLA, decide on or enforce Detroit city ordinaces. All the NHL can do is say "Don't throw stuff." And yet, Foster lays all of the blame at Bettman's feet. Is it Bettman's fault the next time the same city ordinance
[/left]

What happens the next time we see someone arrested under such conditions at a Lions or Tigers game? Is that Bettman's fault also, because this city ordinance apparently is enforced not because it's the law but because Bettman says so? When Terry Foster writes something intelligent about the Wings, let me know; I'll probably have just finished paying for my youngest son's graduation party. He turns one next month.

How long has that been a city ordinance? Probably safe to say more than 10 correct? So, it's been ignored at Wings games for 10 (give or take) years and all of a sudden they decide to start enforcing it? They've always turned a blind eye to it. When some dumbass actually hits someone when throwing it, then we should prosecute. Until then, long live the tradition.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#239 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:16 AM

They get dropped in the river for fish food.
Posted Image
"Before Detroit games, the meetings are always longer." - Nashville's Paul Kariya

#240 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:51 PM

Oh look, PETA has something to say..

http://www.freep.com...ext|FRONTPAGE|s

Letters: Would Red Wings fans throw dead kittens on the ice?

If hockey fans "celebrated" a goal by throwing dead kittens or puppies on the ice, would team and league officials still be so complacent? It's great that a spectator was recently fined $500 for throwing a dead octopus on the ice, but the National Hockey League and the Detroit Red Wings organization must put an end to this appalling tradition once and for all ("Red Wings say NHL is cracking down on octopus tossing," April 15).

In the sea where they belong, these willowy, winsome creatures form relationships with other octopi and communicate through color change and skin texture. Octopi are intelligent and watch and learn from each other.

They are curious and like to decorate their homes with trinkets like bottle caps and shells (an octopus' garden). They are gentle and shy and avoid humans. Throwing these fascinating animals like garbage is wrong.

The NHL and the Red Wings must impose a zero tolerance for this practice and assess team penalties whenever an octopus is thrown on the ice.

Jennifer O'Connor

Staff writer, PETA Foundation Norfolk, Va.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/a2y/comments/oh_jenny...you_picked_the_wrong_crowd_to_ask_this_question_to/

Jennifer O’Connor works for PETA and, I’m sorry to have to break this to you, she is no fan of yours.

Well Jen, I’m pretty sure the league doesn’t want me speaking for them. But I can tell you this: if a puppy or kitten sacrifice was required to guarantee a Wing playoff victory, or even a win against Carolina in November, we’re probably down with that.

We’ve been doing that for years, Jen. The pet population among the 19 has dipped considerably and it’s all because we’ve asked ourselves whether the sacrifice would be worth it and the answer’s always been in the affirmative, Jen. Every. Frigging Time.

I’ve never thrown an octopus Jenni. In fact, I’ve never touched one; live or dead. But if I had the opportunity, here’s what I’d do, because I’m a Wing fan. I’d buy or steal one and I’d kill it. Then I’d freeze it and invite about 19 of my friends over to get absolutely blasted while we took it out of the freezer and tossed it around like a nerf football.

The day of the game, Jen? On that day, I’d thaw it and shove the slimey bastard down my pants on the way to the Joe. Once there, when the time was right, I’d sprint toward the glass, extricating the winsome, willowy, strangled creature from my pants. I’d twirl it over my head like a lasso, hopefully an expensive one made of cow hide, and then I’d throw it far, far, far onto the ice.

I’d be ejected from the game, Jen. But that’s ok because as soon as I left JLA I’d find the nearest bar, order up even more beers and eat me some calamari. Sound good?

Excellent.

LGRW. 13 to 12, *******.

If I were in Detroit I'd help lob af****** whale on the ice. Even better, lob an Ingrid Newkirk.

Edited by Shoreline, 20 April 2011 - 12:53 PM.